• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Lancashire employing an overseas star allrounder who bats at 7 (after the teenagers) scores 4 whilst lasting 6 balls and is 5th bowler to be called upon after 16 overs. But it's ok he will help secure an Indian fan base in the club / franchise.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lancashire employing an overseas star allrounder who bats at 7 (after the teenagers) scores 4 whilst lasting 6 balls and is 5th bowler to be called upon after 16 overs. But it's ok he will help secure an Indian fan base in the club / franchise.
Yeah, I woudn't be thrilled about Iyer's performance if I was a Lancashire supporter. I don't know if you've seen it, but the manner of his dismissal was so poor; coming half way down the pitch to try and play an ugly swipe at Dan Worrall before he'd got in at all, and only edging the ball to Foakes. And as you say, coming in at 7 in this line-up was just odd, as was being the 5th bowler.

Other than that, what to say about my day out at The Oval? First off, it was really cold. Attending Rocky Flintoff's FC debut felt like being present at a historically significant event, and maybe it will be. But today he looked like what he is; a talented teenager playing with the grown ups. So his innings of 32 included some decent shots between being dropped twice, playing and missing a few times and swiping the ball over the slips. He's only 16 of course, so I'm not making any sort of judgement about how he'll progress, but people's view of the kid needs some perspective. Anyway, let's hope his GCSE results were what he wanted. I thought the best batting of the day came from Matty Hurst, who looked really composed making his way to 40+ before falling to an outstanding catch by Conor McKerr, diving to take a catch just off the ground at leg slip. Mind you, Hurst had been badly dropped when he skied the ball to Clark at mid-on during the previous over. But up till then he had batted very well. Balderson looked capable too. Interestingly, he was the only batsman who Surrey bombarded with short deliveries; either because they'd figured that he was vulnerable to them, or he'd upset them in a previous encounter. But he wasn't really troubled, and it was a suprise when he was dismissed. Jennings didn't look best pleased with the lbw decision that did for him. I was side-on, so I have no view on the matter. There were actually two appeals, initially when the ball hit his pad and a second later when it flew to Foakes. The scoreboard reckoned he was given out leg before.

Surrey ended up fielding a strong side, with Jacks and SCurran both playing, which was good to see. I had also forgotten about Sudharsan, who's probably batting at 4. They bowled quite well, but dropped several catches, two of them off Curran. McKerr, who I don't generally rate, sorted his line to remove the dangerous Bohannan, albeit via the batsman's inside edge. My view of that dismissal was that it was much straighter and fuller than how he had bowled until then, maybe yorking him. But as I say, I was side on. And to be fair to McKerr, his catch to remove Hurst was possibly the best bit of cricket of the day. Once Surrey batted, Burns and Sibley knew a bit too much for Lancashire's young attack and were rarely troubled. Burns gave half a chance with a full-blooded pull shot that took the short mid-wicket fielder's fingers before flying to the boundary, but that was about it.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Yeah, I woudn't be thrilled about Iyer's performance if I was a Lancashire supporter. I don't know if you've seen it, but the manner of his dismissal was so poor; coming half way down the pitch to try and play an ugly swipe at Dan Worrall before he'd got in at all, and only edging the ball to Foakes. And as you say, coming in at 7 in this line-up was just odd, as was being the 5th bowler.

Other than that, what to say about my day out at The Oval? First off, it was really cold. Attending Rocky Flintoff's FC debut felt like being present at a historically significant event, and maybe it will be. But today he looked like what he is; a talented teenager playing with the grown ups. So his innings of 32 included some decent shots between being dropped twice, playing and missing a few times and swiping the ball over the slips. He's only 16 of course, so I'm not making any sort of judgement about how he'll progress, but people's view of the kid needs some perspective. Anyway, let's hope his GCSE results were what he wanted. I thought the best batting of the day came from Matty Hurst, who looked really composed making his way to 40+ before falling to an outstanding catch by Conor McKerr, diving to take a catch just off the ground at leg slip. Mind you, Hurst had been badly dropped when he skied the ball to Clark at mid-on during the previous over. But up till then he had batted very well. Balderson looked capable too. Interestingly, he was the only batsman who Surrey bombarded with short deliveries; either because they'd figured that he was vulnerable to them, or he'd upset them in a previous encounter. But he wasn't really troubled, and it was a suprise when he was dismissed. Jennings didn't look best pleased with the lbw decision that did for him. I was side-on, so I have no view on the matter. There were actually two appeals, initially when the ball hit his pad and a second later when it flew to Foakes. The scoreboard reckoned he was given out leg before.

Surrey ended up fielding a strong side, with Jacks and SCurran both playing, which was good to see. I had also forgotten about Sudharsan, who's probably batting at 4. They bowled quite well, but dropped several catches, two of them off Curran. McKerr, who I don't generally rate, sorted his line to remove the dangerous Bohannan, albeit via the batsman's inside edge. My view of that dismissal was that it was much straighter and fuller than how he had bowled until then, maybe yorking him. But as I say, I was side on. And to be fair to McKerr, his catch to remove Hurst was possibly the best bit of cricket of the day. Once Surrey batted, Burns and Sibley knew a bit too much for Lancashire's young attack and were rarely troubled. Burns gave half a chance with a full-blooded pull shot that took the short mid-wicket fielder's fingers before flying to the boundary, but that was about it.

Think Salt should pay Iyer's salary as he recommended him to Lancs.
Are any Lancs bowlers going to get a wicket tomorrow or will Surrey get 500/0?

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Apparently Dominic Leech is playing for Northants on loan in advance of a three year contract starting next year. Hmmm.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Ashton Turner on his CC debut scores a superb ton for Durham off 141 balls.

500/6 and still going after being put in to bat is mad. Notts have given up here.

De Leede 65 from 60 helped us race to the final batting point this morning

@CartyDurham after the disastrous Worcs game just what we needed!!!

CartyDurham

International Captain
Ashton Turner on his CC debut scores a superb ton for Durham off 141 balls.

500/6 and still going after being put in to bat is mad. Notts have given up here.

De Leede 65 from 60 helped us race to the final batting point this morning

@CartyDurham after the disastrous Worcs game just what we needed!!!
You are spot on. Another fifty then declare ?

CartyDurham

International Captain
Definitely feels like we're batting till lunch now.

Hopefully Bas can get himself a ton in that time, only needs 29.

It's a very good pitch, going to be difficult to take 20 wickets.
Scoreboard pressure will get to them and tiredness

Potts and wood at the crease now and woody has played a couple of great shots for four

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Scoreboard pressure will get to them and tiredness

Potts and wood at the crease now and woody has played a couple of great shots for four
We declare 531/7 as Bas holes out on 79. A 114* for Turner in what might be his only innings for us :laugh:

GordonMuchallNo1fan reckons it's very windy at the ground, so could be difficult to bowl with it. Hopefully will die down during day.

But yes scoreboard pressure hopefully helps.

CartyDurham

International Captain
We declare 531/7 as Bas holes out on 79. A 114* for Turner in what might be his only innings for us :laugh:

GordonMuchallNo1fan reckons it's very windy at the ground, so could be difficult to bowl with it. Hopefully will die down during day.

But yes scoreboard pressure hopefully helps.
Poor Much his flares will be a flapping and I’m concerned that his trilby may go the journey