• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Was listening to the Wisden podcast after the England series, one of the guys from the Caribbean Cricket Podcast was saying that only players available for the West Indies Championship between February and April are considered, I get that, but maybe they should bite the bullet and pick players who aren’t playing in that competition, after all, there probably are some players who would be willing to play Tests for the West Indies who aren’t under consideration under that criteria

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The system is fraught with flaws. It baffles me that there's a preference for selecting players based on performance in a season that spans only a few matches. It hardly seems conducive to any productive outcome.
Kirk McKenzie was selected due to his impressive double century. However, his performance did not significantly stand out thereafter.

Take Jayden Seales, for instance; he played in the CC circuit and has significantly outperformed our next best bowler. It stands to reason that greater exposure to high-quality FC cricket would likely result in the emergence of more skilled players.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
We have a batting crisis in the region and it is not going to be solved by waiting for people to score 500 runs in an FC season. So I agree, we need to loosen our criteria and start picking batters on talent. If it were up to me, Hope, King and Pooran would be playing tests. Or at the very least, you pick Pooran and force him to turn down a pick, so we all know where we stand.

It is very much putting a sticking plaster on what is a generational crisis of batting in the Caribbean, but our bowling attack is good enough that just a few more runs will result in a reasonable amount of test wins.

The truth is that we will not see proper batting in the Caribbean for years and years, as the grassroots investment has only really happened over the last 3 years.

Beamer

@SillyCowCorner1 , if you could ignore current selection rules and select a test XI to take on Bangladesh in November, what would your XI look like?

Mine would be:

Kraigg (no-one else to replace him unfortunately)
Louis (deserves Bangladesh after facing England and SA and looked ok at times)
Carty (looked ok, has the technique if not the mentality)
Pooran (take the plunge. He is our most talented batter by far).
King (proven at FC level, selecting him is a no-brainer)
Shai (WK/batsman, more of a number 6 then Holder)
Holder (coming to the end of his test career IMHO, but could still be a useful all-rounder)
Motie (class spinner, useful lower order batter)
Roach/Warrican/Sinclair (depending on conditions)
Shamar (class pacer)
Seales (class pacer)

Reserves:
Athanaze (back up for Pooran and King)
Hodge (could replace Carty at three if needed)
Alzarri (useful spare seamer)
Da Silva (back up keeper'batsman)

WICFan

State 12th Man
King should be in contention given that he played in the fc tournament, he's been injured since the T/20 WC.

CWI should be arranging reciprocal tours for the A team, one home series and one away series, we know how finances and logistics make it difficult but there is a lot more administrators in the Caribbean could be doing to attract sponsors, investment, attendances etc.

SillyCowCorner1

@SillyCowCorner1 , if you could ignore current selection rules and select a test XI to take on Bangladesh in November, what would your XI look like?

Mine would be:

Kraigg (no-one else to replace him unfortunately)
Louis (deserves Bangladesh after facing England and SA and looked ok at times)
Carty (looked ok, has the technique if not the mentality)
Pooran (take the plunge. He is our most talented batter by far).
King (proven at FC level, selecting him is a no-brainer)
Shai (WK/batsman, more of a number 6 then Holder)
Holder (coming to the end of his test career IMHO, but could still be a useful all-rounder)
Motie (class spinner, useful lower order batter)
Roach/Warrican/Sinclair (depending on conditions)
Shamar (class pacer)
Seales (class pacer)

Reserves:
Athanaze (back up for Pooran and King)
Hodge (could replace Carty at three if needed)
Alzarri (useful spare seamer)
Da Silva (back up keeper'batsman)
A depth chart is essential in situations like these, simplifying the process for all involved. With that established, the prospect of Nicholas Pooran joining the test team is indeed tantalizing. He ought to be granted the freedom to fully express himself.

Shamar Springer appeared composed during his batting innings against South Africa. While young players are emerging, this is an opportunity for the depth chart to become increasingly robust.

Shai ought to be the long-term keeper. Meanwhile, Joshua should still be played (as an opener.)

I have no issues with your team; we are currently in the doldrums of the test cricket championship, so why not make some bold moves?

Beamer

A depth chart is essential in situations like these, simplifying the process for all involved. With that established, the prospect of Nicholas Pooran joining the test team is indeed tantalizing. He ought to be granted the freedom to fully express himself.

Shamar Springer appeared composed during his batting innings against South Africa. While young players are emerging, this is an opportunity for the depth chart to become increasingly robust.

Shai ought to be the long-term keeper. Meanwhile, Joshua should still be played (as an opener.)

I have no issues with your team; we are currently in the doldrums of the test cricket championship, so why not make some bold moves?
100%. I think it's important to acknowledge that there are systematic problems that make having a world class batting lineup unlikely, but we can at least start selecting the most talented players and see how it goes.

SillyCowCorner1

100%. I think it's important to acknowledge that there are systematic problems that make having a world class batting lineup unlikely, but we can at least start selecting the most talented players and see how it goes.
Indeed, as you have previously mentioned, there is no harm if the players approached decline the offer. This will conclusively resolve several issues that have been perplexing us for the past few years. It's not overly complex.

SillyCowCorner1

Windies bowlers with the most wickets after 15 tests,

1724245256796.png

It's no surprise that our current world class bowler is at the top there.

This list also gives an indication of the number of spinners in WI teams that never had a good run. Ramnarine, Cornwall, Permaul, etc.

Beamer

View attachment 41384

This list also gives an indication of the number of spinners in WI teams that never had a good run. Ramnarine, Cornwall, Permaul, etc.
Seales is so good. Seriously, that stat is mad. Ramnarine, in particular, was a great loss; he would have been a world-class leg spinner, IMHO.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i find the hope>da silva calls maddening.

he has not shown himself to be a better test match batsman than JDS at all. hope as a middle order player is worth a hail mary sure but not over JDS.

all things considered, after a run of india>australia>england>south africa, the incumbents deserve a crack at bangladesh. should they fail there, 100% they should be shown the door.

SillyCowCorner1

i find the hope>da silva calls maddening.

he has not shown himself to be a better test match batsman than JDS at all. hope as a middle order player is worth a hail mary sure but not over JDS.

all things considered, after a run of india>australia>england>south africa, the incumbents deserve a crack at bangladesh. should they fail there, 100% they should be shown the door.
I find this perspective quite fair. The batting weaknesses, from the top order to the middle, reveal a consistent issue, which is why we are at this point in time. We are not of test match caliber. For our batsmen, scoring hundreds is as rare as triple centuries. They lack the mental fortitude to excel.

The norm in our cricket lately has been the calls for one player over another. We, as fans, tend to get frustrated easily. A series of defeats, particularly bad ones, tends to make fans overly critical.

Beamer

I find this perspective quite fair. The batting weaknesses, from the top order to the middle, reveal a consistent issue, which is why we are at this point in time. We are not of test match caliber. For our batsmen, scoring hundreds is as rare as triple centuries. They lack the mental fortitude to excel.

The norm in our cricket lately has been the calls for one player over another. We, as fans, tend to get frustrated easily. A series of defeats, particularly bad ones, tends to make fans overly critical.
I just don't see the point in continuity for the sake of it with these batsmen. I'd like to see them try stuff and I think Hope would succeed at 7. I can't think of a single one of them who is undroppable.

@ImpatientLime describes Hope in the middle order as a Hail Mary. I am done with this group of batsmen, I'm ready to throw a whole bunch of punches until something lands. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness. I just want to see some fresh thinking whilst the investment in grassroots cricket, academies etc tries to solve the problem long term.

SillyCowCorner1

I just don't see the point in continuity for the sake of it with these batsmen. I'd like to see them try stuff and I think Hope would succeed at 7. I can't think of a single one of them who is undroppable.

@ImpatientLime describes Hope in the middle order as a Hail Mary. I am done with this group of batsmen, I'm ready to throw a whole bunch of punches until something lands. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness. I just want to see some fresh thinking whilst the investment in grassroots cricket, academies etc tries to solve the problem long term.
A good thing would have been smooth transition of senior players to juniors. The void created in our middle order needs to be studied.

Middle order should be the backbone of the batting…not a young and inexperienced green guys. It’s a complex issue and as I make my replies lots of other things emerge…

Silver Silva

International Debutant

View attachment 41384

Something ain't right about that list..

Where is Walsh , Ambrose , Holding, Garner , Croft, Marshall, Bishop, Hall etc ..

There's no way none of these bowlers don't make the top 50 wicket takers for West Indies after 15 tests bro..

Unless the list is only for bowlers who played less than 16 tests for WI in their entire careers

SillyCowCorner1

Something ain't right about that list..

Where is Walsh , Ambrose , Holding, Garner , Croft, Marshall, Bishop, Hall etc ..

There's no way none of these bowlers don't make the top 50 wicket takers for West Indies after 15 tests bro..

Unless the list is only for bowlers who played less than 16 tests for WI in their entire careers
The criteria for search is there. Players who have played from 1 to 15 tests.