• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Howe_zat

Audio File
Rathnayake is 3 away from a fifty by a tailender on debut. He'd be the 23rd overall and first Sri Lankan

1724253971521.png

Australia dominating the field with 8 of the first 22 to manange it, including the most recent in 2013, which I think we all remember. Majority of the 21st century instances are against England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Rathnayake is 3 away from a fifty by a tailender on debut. He'd be the 23rd overall and first Sri Lankan

View attachment 41386

Australia dominating the field with 8 of the first 22 to manange it, including the most recent in 2013, which I think we all remember. Majority of the 21st century instances are against England
Suffice to say I remember the England ones apart from Absolom and Freeman.

btw what counts as a tail-ender?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
@Silver Silva is Rathnayake a hidden gem with the bat or are England just doing a poor job of cleaning up the tail? He’s looked good to me, although his first class average with the bat is not too promising!
He's not been known for his batting in the domestic circuit but there is one important quality he does possess, he is really brave..

Willing to take blows on the body, and he's also got tremendous stamina when it comes to bowling long spells, often on thankless pitches in Sri Lanka ..I think this impressed the coaches when they had a look at him in the national side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He's not been known for his batting in the domestic circuit but there is one important quality he does possess, he is really brave..

Willing to take blows on the body, and he's also got tremendous stamina when it comes to bowling long spells, often on thankless pitches in Sri Lanka ..I think this impressed the coaches when they had a look at him in the national side.
His figures suggest that he's a late developer; 28 years old and only 40 FC matches. Anyway, he's done a cracking job today.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I’m hoping in the next thirty years , one of the English seamers bowls a slow yorker

eg Harmison to Clarke 2005

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

Yeah he’s stood up to Wood really well, certainly better than Jayasuriya who never looked comfortable with Atkinson

CartyDurham

International Captain
Bad light rule unless pitch black altogether needs binning

they have screens about 50 metres wide at both ends and your eyes naturally adjust

it’s not dangerous

Molehill

International Captain
Not sure why England are hanging around on here. If they want to bowl a seamer and can't they should go off, not offer up easier runs from a part time spinner....

Also, makes the umpires/laws look stupid.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Root continues. I was hoping for an over or two from Lawrence as it must be a while since three offies have bowled in the same innings for England.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Not sure why England are hanging around on here. If they want to bowl a seamer and can't they should go off, not offer up easier runs from a part time spinner....

Also, makes the umpires/laws look stupid.
Because there is rain forecast for the next few days and they probably believe their spinners are good enough to bowl out the Sri Lankan tail under 300