• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Didn't realise Northants had signed Chahal. Currently running through the Kent batting like a hot knife through butter.

Reactions: FBU

chris.hinton

International Captain
County Championship is back on Thursday

And here's the fixtures

Division One
Worcestershire vs Kent
Warwickshire vs Somerset
Surrey vs Lancashire
Hampshire vs Essex
Durham vs Nottinghamshire

Division Two
Middlesex vs Northamptonshire
Yorkshire vs Sussex
Derbyshire vs Glamorgan
Gloucestershire vs Leicestershire

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to The Oval on Thursday, where Surrey's line-up could be interesting without Pope, Smith, Lawrence and Atkinson. I wonder whether Jacks and SCurran might be available as the batting will be rather thin otherwise. Abbott's return would be welcome too.

EDIT
I'd be happy to pay to watch this XI.
Burns, Sibley, Patel, Foakes, Jacks, SCurran, Clark, Abbott, Steel, Lawes and Worrall
But maybe Geddes will bat at 3 or 4 instead of playing so many bowlers.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
I'm going to The Oval on Thursday, where Surrey's line-up could be interesting without Pope, Smith, Lawrence and Atkinson. I wonder whether Jacks and SCurran might be available as the batting will be rather thin otherwise. Abbott's return would be welcome too.

EDIT
I'd be happy to pay to watch this XI.
Burns, Sibley, Patel, Foakes, Jacks, SCurran, Clark, Abbott, Steel, Lawes and Worrall
But maybe Geddes will bat at 3 or 4 instead of playing so many bowlers.
I doubt if Salt, Livingstone, Buttler or Mahmood will be playing for Lancs. You don't have to worry about the thin batting, Lancs bowling isn't up to that much.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I doubt if Salt, Livingstone, Buttler or Mahmood will be playing for Lancs. You don't have to worry about the thin batting, Lancs bowling isn't up to that much.
Lancs probable:
Jennings, Wells, Bohannon, Iyer, Bell, Hurst, Balderson, Hartley, Wood, Bailey, Williams. Further possibilities: Salt, Aspinwall, Morley, Mahmood, Boyden, Blatherwick, Barnard.
Benkenstein has form in picking 16 in a squad. Tick your pick, but as @FBU says Buttler and Livingstone no chance.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I went along last year and one of the Lancashire blokes bowled beautifully to skittle Surrey's second innings and set up a comfortable win for the visitors. Maybe Bailey? Or possibly Smith? So I'm not underestimating their attack. Beyond that, I do think it's scandalous that Salt and Livingstone aren't expected to play for the county where they've been developed. Ditton Jacks and SCurran of course. Unless they're playing for some franchise elsewhere in the world. Mahmood's different as he's finding his way back after his injuries. And I suppose Lancashire knew what to expect when they signed Buttler.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I went along last year and one of the Lancashire blokes bowled beautifully to skittle Surrey's second innings and set up a comfortable win for the visitors. Maybe Bailey? Or possibly Smith? So I'm not underestimating their attack. Beyond that, I do think it's scandalous that Salt and Livingstone aren't expected to play for the county where they've been developed. Ditton Jacks and SCurran of course. Unless they're playing for some franchise elsewhere in the world. Mahmood's different as he's finding his way back after his injuries. And I suppose Lancashire knew what to expect when they signed Buttler.
This match:
Bailey & Williams did the damage after Williams had scored his HS of 61 as nightwatchman. Suspect Surrey might be worth more than 84 this week.

The word is generally that Salt is keen to play (might help his Test prospects). Scored 2 first class centuries last year for Lancs. Arguably he was developed by Sussex, although his Lancs form and worldwide experience turned him into an England player. Not sure where his England career was when joined Lancs, maybe played a handful of ODIs plus loads of worldwide franchise cricket before joining Lancs.
Livingstone is more or less only white ball these days and not a lot of that (for Lancs), Buttler not even that. The latter missed the Hundred due to injury. Buttler joined Lancshire before he was a Test player for England so I'm not sure what they expected other that it was mutually beneficial. He played 10 first class matches for Lancashire the year he joined (2014!) making his debut in Tests after (presumably) impressing for Lancashire.
Mahmood (like Livingstone) played through the age groups for Lancashire. He has played in the championship this year (2 games).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This match:
Bailey & Williams did the damage after Williams had scored his HS of 61 as nightwatchman. Suspect Surrey might be worth more than 84 this week.

The word is generally that Salt is keen to play (might help his Test prospects). Scored 2 first class centuries last year for Lancs. Arguably he was developed by Sussex, although his Lancs form and worldwide experience turned him into an England player. Not sure where his England career was when joined Lancs, maybe played a handful of ODIs plus loads of worldwide franchise cricket before joining Lancs.
Livingstone is more or less only white ball these days and not a lot of that (for Lancs), Buttler not even that. The latter missed the Hundred due to injury. Buttler joined Lancshire before he was a Test player for England so I'm not sure what they expected other that it was mutually beneficial. He played 10 first class matches for Lancashire the year he joined (2014!) making his debut in Tests after (presumably) impressing for Lancashire.
Mahmood (like Livingstone) played through the age groups for Lancashire. He has played in the championship this year (2 games).
I can't believe it's 10 years since Buttler moved to Lancashire.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I can't believe it's 10 years since Buttler moved to Lancashire.
Yes but:
First class:
Somerset 48 (2009-2013), Lancashire 16 (2014-2018), England 58 (2014-2021/22)
List A:
Somerset 47 (2009-2013), Lancashire 4 (2016), England 200 (2011/12-2023/24)
T20:
Somerset 65 (2009/10-2013), Lancashire 51 (2014-2023), England 130 (2011-2024)

Years played (1st team)
Somerset 5, Lancashire 10, England 14

England inc Lions and England XI

kevinw

International 12th Man
County Championship is back on Thursday

And here's the fixtures

Division One
Worcestershire vs Kent
Warwickshire vs Somerset
Surrey vs Lancashire
Hampshire vs Essex
Durham vs Nottinghamshire

Division Two
Middlesex vs Northamptonshire
Yorkshire vs Sussex
Derbyshire vs Glamorgan
Gloucestershire vs Leicestershire
Worcs 600-6d, Kent 275ao and 160ao.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Meanwhile in the NCCA (Minor Counties as was) championship match at Manor Park, Norfolk, one James Cox has now taken seven wickets in the second innings to follow up his six in the first. Inasmuch as you can tell from the live stream it looks as though he is bowling at real pace too. Any idea who he is?

FBU

International Debutant
This match:

Bailey (8) 15 wickets at 41.53
Williams (8) 13 wickets at 34.92
Balderson (9) 23 wickets at 29.43
Mahmood (2) 2 wickets at 86.50

Lawes (3) 10 wickets at 20.70
Worrall (7) 34 wickets at 16.38
Clarke (9) 25 wickets at 27.52

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Meanwhile in the NCCA (Minor Counties as was) championship match at Manor Park, Norfolk, one James Cox has now taken seven wickets in the second innings to follow up his six in the first. Inasmuch as you can tell from the live stream it looks as though he is bowling at real pace too. Any idea who he is?
Nope don't know much about him

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Took 7 wickets against us earlier in the year, albeit most were self inflicted as we made a right mess of chasing 87 in 13 overs. Yes he has pace and bowls of the wrong foot. He properly wound the pace up to take those wickets against us, probably the same today. He's 27 going on 28 Cambridgeshire is his second county having earlier played for Staffordshire. Top wicket taker in the NCCA this year. Youngest 8 in every team have to average 25 in the NCCA so given that he's playing alongside Callum Guest, Wayne White, James Sykes they may have to make harsh decisions soon.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Thanks. Looks like he also bowled unchanged for 18 overs in the second innings, albeit across two days. Obviously quite a valuable cricketer, I wonder if he's too old now to get a look in at FC level.

chris.hinton

International Captain
You should be never too old. I'm sure the Counties are looking at his progress. Not sure if he's played in any of their 2nd xis this summer

chris.hinton

International Captain
National Counties Tables

Eastern 1

1. Staffordshire 67
2. Suffolk 51
3. Buckinghamshire 45
4. Lincolnshire 40
==================
5. Bedfordshire 39

Eastern 2

1. Cambridgeshire 75