• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Metro Bank One Day Cup

Third_Man

State 12th Man
You watching @CartyDurham?

But when we lost McKinney to the Lions on top of not getting Robinson/Clark back for this game after the Leeds crisp packet won last night. Then hard with a limited batting attack.
Durham were never going to get Robinson or Clark back. Think these regulations are new this year:

From the ECB Regulations Governing the Qualification and Registration of Cricketers for Competitive County Cricket 2024:
4.8 A Cricketer may be released by their Hundred Team in accordance with Regulation 4.7.2 if:

4.8.1 the Hundred Team is not playing a match on the same day (or any of the same days)
as the match for which the Cricketer is being released;

4.8.2 the Hundred Team has participated in at least two matches in The Hundred prior to
the relevant match for which the Cricketer is being released; and

4.8.3 the Player has not been a nominated player in both of the previous two matches of
the Hundred Team prior to the relevant match for which the Cricketer is being released,

The only players that can go back to their county are the ones that have missed out on selection for two matches on the bounce. Plus those like Aspinwall where Lancashire and his Franchise bizarrely thought he could play before the franchise had even started. And they get punished.

No idea who polices this. Guess it's up to the player to say: "you haven't selected twice now please can I go and play some cricket for my county tomorrow?"

Kinda makes sense that it's only the bench-warmers allowed back.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Durham were never going to get Robinson or Clark back. Think these regulations are new this year:

From the ECB Regulations Governing the Qualification and Registration of Cricketers for Competitive County Cricket 2024:
4.8 A Cricketer may be released by their Hundred Team in accordance with Regulation 4.7.2 if:

4.8.1 the Hundred Team is not playing a match on the same day (or any of the same days)
as the match for which the Cricketer is being released;

4.8.2 the Hundred Team has participated in at least two matches in The Hundred prior to
the relevant match for which the Cricketer is being released; and

4.8.3 the Player has not been a nominated player in both of the previous two matches of
the Hundred Team prior to the relevant match for which the Cricketer is being released,

The only players that can go back to their county are the ones that have missed out on selection for two matches on the bounce. Plus those like Aspinwall where Lancashire and his Franchise bizarrely thought he could play before the franchise had even started. And they get punished.

No idea who polices this. Guess it's up to the player to say: "you haven't selected twice now please can I go and play some cricket for my county tomorrow?"

Kinda makes sense that it's only the bench-warmers allowed back.
If they'd had lost last night they'd have been knocked out though.

So surely their time as crisp packet players would have been at an end?

But as they won they are waiting to see if Birmingham popcorn win tomorrow.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Worcestershire come 2nd and should have a home QF

But because of having to shove the hundred into the calendar the QF's are on Friday.

So as the Lions and Sri Lanka are playing at Worcester. Warks get a home game despite finishing 3rd.

The ECB are an absolute joke.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
If they'd had lost last night they'd have been knocked out though.

So surely their time as crisp packet players would have been at an end?

But as they won they are waiting to see if Birmingham popcorn win tomorrow.
Haven't looked at the results was unaware of that. Probably would have depended on the franchise contract.

My interest normally stops with the draft, wildcards and replacements, but this year was more than curious when Lancashire / Manchester and an unnamed player were punished when Lancashire played a franchise contracted player. Had to google the rules.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Haven't looked at the results was unaware of that. Probably would have depended on the franchise contract.

My interest normally stops with the draft, wildcards and replacements, but this year was more than curious when Lancashire / Manchester and an unnamed player were punished when Lancashire played a franchise contracted player. Had to google the rules.
I only check to see how it was going in the hope Durham would have had players back for yesterday.

Our lack of batsman cost us yesterday 160/3 from 30 and 253 all out after 49.5

Only innings I've watched in 4 years was Tammy Beaumont getting a ton.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Such poor scheduling for this. Qualified yesterday and the Quarter final is tomorrow.

ECB don't really care do they
No. Happily the public seem to be offering decent support to the competition and the 50 over format, which should prevent their getting rid of it entirely. I went to matches at eight grounds in this year’s competition and crowds varied from the decent to very good (the latter admittedly at the smaller grounds).

chris.hinton

International Captain
A great article

ECB really need to sort all this ****e out and get all parties involved and have a schedule that could/should work for everyone from the Players & staff to the supporters

chris.hinton

International Captain
Matches today

Quarter final

Worcestershire vs Warwickshire (Edgbaston - New Road is used for the Lions vs Sri Lanka match)
Leicestershire vs Hampshire

Semis (Sunday!!!)

Somerset vs Leicestershire/Hampshire
Glamorgan vs Worcester/Warwick

Final (22nd September)

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Not sure if this should go in this thread for the England/Sri Lanka one or the Hundred one.

Right thread for me.

A liittle one-eyed: "But the game at Worcestershire is simply a glorified friendly, designed to give England’s next Test opponents a feel for conditions."

I imagine that the writer of the article would be one of the first to complain about lack of preparation if England prior to an away Test series were given just a single warm up against the equivalent to the Lavinia, The Duchess of Norfolk's XI at Fenners or the NCCA Challengers XI at West Bromwich Dartmouth?

If these matters aren't already reciprocated, they surely would be if England did not offer a little respect to their touring guests. New Road is a famous prestigious ground afterall.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Right thread for me.

A liittle one-eyed: "But the game at Worcestershire is simply a glorified friendly, designed to give England’s next Test opponents a feel for conditions."

I imagine that the writer of the article would be one of the first to complain about lack of preparation if England prior to an away Test series were given just a single warm up against the equivalent to the Lavinia, The Duchess of Norfolk's XI at Fenners or the NCCA Challengers XI at West Bromwich Dartmouth?

If these matters aren't already reciprocated, they surely would be if England did not offer a little respect to their touring guests. New Road is a famous prestigious ground afterall.
While the ODC is definitely important to these young lads, and I think county fans have a right to be disgruntled that essentially no Hundred (even those with nothing to play for) players have been selected, I don’t think we should be downplaying the importance of red-ball cricket against a pretty strong Sri Lanka team. I don’t know why things couldn’t have been a bit more organised, why couldn’t there be a contingency plan to either host the ODC game somewhere else, or move the Lions game once it became clear that Worcestershire might progress

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Right thread for me.

Yeah it's a FC game daft to call it that. If it was the same as some of these warm up games where 15 players play and people retire out then fair enough.

The positive I take from the ridiculous scheduling is that Hamza Shaikh and Farhan Ahmed both made their FC debut when they'd never have made it this season otherwise.

No offense to Worcs, but their attack is second XI attack and it's definitely beneficial for Shaikh that he's got to test himself against Sri Lanka first choice bowling attack(I assume) instead of that.

Durham would have liked to have McKinney for Derbyshire.

But then he's played his 4th FC when he likely wouldn't have got that for Durham this season, one of his 3 previous FC games was against Zimbabwe A, so probably the best attack he's faced and he faced it with aplomb.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Right thread for me.

Nothing wrong with Sri Lanka having a warm up match (They should perhaps more than 1, But its the scheduling which is the issue here)

Third_Man

State 12th Man
While the ODC is definitely important to these young lads, and I think county fans have a right to be disgruntled that essentially no Hundred (even those with nothing to play for) players have been selected, I don’t think we should be downplaying the importance of red-ball cricket against a pretty strong Sri Lanka team. I don’t know why things couldn’t have been a bit more organised, why couldn’t there be a contingency plan to either host the ODC game somewhere else, or move the Lions game once it became clear that Worcestershire might progress
Hull had a franchise gig with Manchester, although he might have been released back as he only played the first couple of games.

The ECB used to provide contingency for tour games. IIRC there have been times when the Tourists were due to play County A or County B or County C (unstated but depending on progress in cup competitions).

Last edited:

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Nothing wrong with Sri Lanka having a warm up match (They should perhaps more than 1, But its the scheduling which is the issue here)
I agree but the scheduling of their tour means that there had to be one or two games this week, with the Test being next week. Combined teams like this are better than giving them a game against a county who then field a 2nd XI.

Interesting that Surrey did not have a game in the ODC in the final round yet did not provide a player. What does that say?