• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* The Hundred 2024 thread

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Think this is the perspective that is needed. A cricketer getting injured playing cricket is the reality of the situation.
100% . Think some people have lost the forest for the trees. Stokes bowling 10 over spells in a test match is way more likely to be the major source of incidence here.

Molehill

International Captain
100% . Think some people have lost the forest for the trees. Stokes bowling 10 over spells in a test match is way more likely to be the major source of incidence here.
Not sure about that. He's trained his body to do those spells and I think once warmed up he's less likely to injure himself. This was a sharp single early in his innings, totally different scenario.

I guess it's taken something like this for most of us to even notice the Hundred is happening. Might be a bit more interest for the final week now the Olympics has ended I suppose. God I hate this comp.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Not sure about that. He's trained his body to do those spells and I think once warmed up he's less likely to injure himself. This was a sharp single early in his innings, totally different scenario.

I guess it's taken something like this for most of us to even notice the Hundred is happening. Might be a bit more interest for the final week now the Olympics has ended I suppose. God I hate this comp.
One day cup takes us up to the 18th of August, so resist the urge when still plenty of cricket to tide you over to the next test.

Then inexplicably the One Day Cup final isn't until the 22nd September :laugh:

Although I've just seen how Sussex have fared, so no wonder your tempted by a lesser form of cricket.

Molehill

International Captain
One day cup takes us up to the 18th of August, so resist the urge when still plenty of cricket to tide you over to the next test.

Then inexplicably the One Day Cup final isn't until the 22nd September :laugh:

Although I've just seen how Sussex have fared, so no wonder your tempted by a lesser form of cricket.
Erm yeah, my interest in the Metro ended early. The Sussex strategy has been weird, played the kids in the first 4 games (all lost, although two were by 1 wicket). Now they're playing Robinson, Alsop, Simpson amongst other first team players. Whether it's to start getting them fit again for the Championship, I don't know.....

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Not sure I agree.
The Sri Lanka Test series starts next week.
I can't see Stokes (or any of the other centrally contracted players) being allowed by the ECB to play in a Championship match or the Blast if there had been a match of those formats scheduled the week before a test. When does that ever happen?
This injury has to be down to the ECB allowing Stokes to play in their favourite competition which matters to them more than anything else and tbh might need a little help this year.
It's down to the ECB's double standards.

Reactions: FBU

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure I agree.
The Sri Lanka Test series starts next week.
I can't see Stokes (or any of the other centrally contracted players) being allowed by the ECB to play in a Championship match or the Blast if there had been a match of those formats scheduled the week before a test. When does that ever happen?
This injury has to be down to the ECB allowing Stokes to play in their favourite competition which matters to them more than anything else and tbh might need a little help this year.
It's down to the ECB's double standards.
Can't be bothered looking for examples, but don't agree. If there was a series of blast game's, stokes probably gets permission to play. He's bowled 35 balls and faced less than 10 balls across 5 days with breaks in between. Hey'll do all that + extra and field longer across two concurrent days of a test match.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Just take one other example Joe Root.
Played 5 championship matches and 8 Blast matches this season.
Evidentally keen to turn out for Yorkshire.
But nothing between 21st June and 10th July (1st Test).
Yorkshire however had 2 championship matches starting 23rd & 30th June and 6 Blast matches between 5th and 19th July.
and back to Stokes: "If there was a series of blast games, stokes probably gets permission to play." Didn't play at all in the 6 Blast matches block between 5th and 19th July leading up to the Tests.
Maybe no need to look for examples.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just take one other example Joe Root.
Played 5 championship matches and 8 Blast matches this season.
Evidentally keen to turn out for Yorkshire.
But nothing between 21st June and 10th July (1st Test).
Yorkshire however had 2 championship matches starting 23rd & 30th June and 6 Blast matches between 5th and 19th July.
and back to Stokes: "If there was a series of blast games, stokes probably gets permission to play." Didn't play at all in the 6 Blast matches block between 5th and 19th July leading up to the Tests.
Maybe no need to look for examples.
Probably am wrong. Don't think that changes the fact that Him bowling 10 over spells after knee surgery because he refuses to trust bashir is far more likely to cause an injury then the small amount of cricket he played in those hundred games.

Molehill

International Captain
For the Blast, players have certainly been released in the past for Finals Day, but that was definitely a special event.

Players have been given large salaries to represent their Franchises in The Hundred and the ECB needs them turning out to get spectators in the door. It's been even harder this year with it clashing with The Olympics. The only reason people watch The Hundred is to see said players, t's not because of a traditional support base where you'd turn out to see Durham whether Stokes was playing or not.

Probably am wrong. Don't think that changes the fact that Him bowling 10 over spells after knee surgery because he refuses to trust bashir is far more likely to cause an injury then the small amount of cricket he played in those hundred games.
Bashir has taken 26 wickets in 6 Tests at 31 (one of which he wasn't even required to bowl in). Seems to me Stokes has a fair amount of trust in him, and not exactly a bad start for a 20 year old off spinner.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I agree with you that longer spells of bowling more likely to cause an injury. But that wasn't really the point. Not many sharp singles taken in the nets when wrapped up in cotton wool by the ECB for 7-10 days prior to any Tests.
He was only playing competitive cricket because it was ECB franchise cricket.

Reactions: FBU

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
For the Blast, players have certainly been released in the past for Finals Day, but that was definitely a special event.

Players have been given large salaries to represent their Franchises in The Hundred and the ECB needs them turning out to get spectators in the door. It's been even harder this year with it clashing with The Olympics. The only reason people watch The Hundred is to see said players, t's not because of a traditional support base where you'd turn out to see Durham whether Stokes was playing or not.

Bashir has taken 26 wickets in 6 Tests at 31 (one of which he wasn't even required to bowl in). Seems to me Stokes has a fair amount of trust in him, and not exactly a bad start for a 20 year old off spinner.
Did you watch the early stages of the windies series before bashir got the 5fer in the second innings of the second test? Go back and read the match thread on here when stokes was bowling those ten over spells. Everyone who watched it was well aware that stokes didn't trust bashir to hold up an end and used himself with bouncers instead for way too long.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Let’s be honest about the Hundred. It’s done wonders for the woman’s game no doubt

however the main selling point on its inception was to see “the best v the best” in the world

is that happening ? All it is, is T20 with more money thrown in for the T20 players in the domestic game

and it’s a pile of crap and for the money spent , not worth a damn

anyone remember the winners of each season of it, without googling?

it was supposed to bring in a new audience and spread the game . How can you do that when only 8 grounds have it played. That is the opposite of spreading the game

kevinw

International 12th Man
The Hundred has revolutionised the women's game and the best players in world cricket are legitimately playing in it. Eight teams in the men's tournament is far too many, especially when Tests and the Metro Bank are going on. Besides the Oval and Southern Brave teams, the other six are very mediocre, with the talent pool very shallow. If you're going to do this additional T20 tournament, six teams based on three counties each, please.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
If you're going to do this additional T20 tournament, six teams based on three counties each, please.
Ten teams more likely. Doubling down.
Can you inmage Yorkshire and Lancashire (& Durham) joining up? Or Derby, Leicester and Notts?

Even if I look at a scorecard, I don't understand what 10 balls for xx runs mean. What was wrong with 6 balls and the concept of overs?

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
My 7 year and his mate had a great time at Headingley yesterday even though the matches weren't anything special.

For all the issues the Hundred causes, it genuinely is the best ticket for families.