• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching the climbing and the South African girl looked like she had never done it before, constantly missing the first boulder she had to grip.

I know it's incredibly difficult, but it looked pretty funny.

Son Of Coco

Watching the climbing and the South African girl looked like she had never done it before, constantly missing the first boulder she had to grip.

I know it's incredibly difficult, but it looked pretty funny.
Watching the SA climber on the 2nd wall...may he she hasn't done this before. At one point she fell off and did a backwards somersault, and I burst out laughing.

Molehill

International Captain
I think Finucane may have something to say about that. We are expecting another 2 golds off her.
The Keirin is a slightly odd one as it requires a little bit of stamina and trackcraft as well, but for raw speed, I don't think anyone is getting near Finucane in the Sprint.

I had a quick look at bookies prices for other races. If anyone is interested, Australia are priced up at 5-2 for the Men's Pursuit having recorded the fastest time in qualification (0.3 faster than GB who are the 13-8 favourites). That price just looks wrong to me.

Son Of Coco

The British and Italian climbers were very good.

The Aussie turns up and nails the first wall in 90 seconds when nobody else could make it to the top to claim 25 points.

Molehill

International Captain
The British and Italian climbers were very good.

The Aussie turns up and nails the first wall in 90 seconds when nobody else could make it to the top to claim 25 points.
I'm not watching, but presumably it helps a bit to go later as you can see the errors others make? I see Top 8 qualify for Final so looks like one Brit will make it.

Canoe Sprint starts today, GB usually had some medal contenders but seems we have no entries at all. I'm thinking that the funding got stopped for this sport. Given that the only time it ever got a mention here was during an Olympics perhaps I can see why.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not watching, but presumably it helps a bit to go later as you can see the errors others make? I see Top 8 qualify for Final so looks like one Brit will make it.

Canoe Sprint starts today, GB usually had some medal contenders but seems we have no entries at all. I'm thinking that the funding got stopped for this sport. Given that the only time it ever got a mention here was during an Olympics perhaps I can see why.
I don't think you're allowed to see what the other athletes are trying

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously I've become well used to watching kayak sprint throughout Lisa Carrington's dominant period, but the canoe version is quite something to behold. It looks extremely uncomfortable and awkward.

Spark

Global Moderator
Women's course looks significantly easier in relative terms compared to the men's, where hardly anyone got to the tops

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously I've become well used to watching kayak sprint throughout Lisa Carrington's dominant period, but the canoe version is quite something to behold. It looks extremely uncomfortable and awkward.
The kiwi duo certainly made it look that way, coming in about 30 seconds behind the pack in an event that typically takes about 1:40 to complete!

_Ed_

The kiwi duo certainly made it look that way, coming in about 30 seconds behind the pack in an event that typically takes about 1:40 to complete!
Haha yeah, and our kayak pair just then didn't fare much better. I think we'll be relying on the women for medals in this event.

Son Of Coco

I don't think you're allowed to see what the other athletes are trying
I think the South African climber is proof of this.

Actually, she might have been first on every wall, so she wouldn't have had the chance even if they could. If the others were watching her, it wouldn't have helped them at all. It's hard to climb when you are laughing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Watching yesterday’s highlights and really enjoyed the kayak cross and (i) the world 136 making the final and looking absolutely over the moon before the race whilst the other 3 men had serious game face on and (ii) how genuinely delighted all three medal winners looked at the end of the race - as if they all know it’s a bit of a crap shoot and not coming fourth is a delight.

Enjoyable watch.

_Ed_

I probably said it when she won gold in Tokyo too, but Garnbret is ridiculously good at this.

Perfect score for all four!

Edit: Actually 99.6 out of a possible 100, but still.

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
BBC coverage is so ****...I'm no basketball fan, but Germany v Greece to get to the medal rounds sounds much more interesting than a 45th pre-recorded interview with Richard Yee sat outside a French patisserie.

Fair play the lad and the other members of the triathlon relay team winning medals, but surely these things can be shown when their isn't actual sports taking place with some of the biggest names in them (Giannis for example)