• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Spark

Global Moderator
Seriously, Woods looked like she had that stone cold at the rollover, what on earth happened to her at the first upstream?

Spark

Global Moderator
Felt like Woods was smashing it until someone else got in her way and then just couldn't get ahead of Fox
She was struggling at the first upstream even before anyone joined her. I think she just overshot it and battled to get back upstream?

Molehill

International Captain
Those 2 races really summing up the GB Olympics now, the ability to screw it up at the key moments. Could, perhaps should've been 3 golds today. So far none.

I wonder if Hodgkinson can **** it up too?

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
Those 2 races really summing up the GB Olympics now, the ability to screw it up at the key moments. Could, perhaps should've been 3 golds today. So far none.

I wonder if Hodgkinson can **** it up too?
Eh, it's frustrating but it could be worse - France were the favourites for the Triathlon and didn't get a medal. J Fox probably one of the favourites for the Kayak cross and didn't even get through to the quarters.

It's disappointing when we could do well and don't, but at the end of the day it's just sport isn't it. If there wasn't despair it wouldn't make the success feel nearly as good.

Molehill

International Captain
Wow, World record already gone in the qualifying for the Team Sprint by GB (Track Cycling opening event). Looks a fast track, still 2 more (theoretically quicker teams) to go.

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh, it's frustrating but it could be worse - France were the favourites for the Triathlon and didn't get a medal. J Fox probably one of the favourites for the Kayak cross and didn't even get through to the quarters.

It's disappointing when we could do well and don't, but at the end of the day it's just sport isn't it. If there wasn't despair it wouldn't make the success feel nearly as good.
Yeah every nation will have its share of upside and downside surprises, Aus has definitely had some too and the Americans have had loads already. The only nation who I think is running waaaay ahead of expectations is France and frankly that's pretty easy to understand.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah every nation will have its share of upside and downside surprises, Aus has definitely had some too and the Americans have had loads already. The only nation who I think is running waaaay ahead of expectations is France and frankly that's pretty easy to understand.
I might be wrong, but Italy look way higher up the medal table than usual (just checked, they got 10 last time, they have 9 already).

Spark

Global Moderator
I might be wrong, but Italy look way higher up the medal table than usual (just checked, they got 10 last time, they have 9 already).
Tbh I have absolutely no idea what Italy's expectations or what those medals are in lmao

GB and the Americans have definitely stood out in stealing silver/bronze from the jaws of gold often, but it's definitely better than what many of the Aus underperformers have done, which is not even get close to the podium at all (rowers, looking at you)

shortpitched713

International Captain
This is every bit as pathetic as US media putting the USA at the top of the medal table.
To be fair, US has also topped the Gold medals table as well as total medal count for every Olympics since Beijing 2008.

And even by any reasonable medal weighting criteria (6:3:1 for instance) other than gold only, the USA would currently be at the top at this Olympics as well, even with less golds.

TL;DR: USA USA USA!

Molehill

International Captain
Tbh I have absolutely no idea what Italy's expectations or what those medals are in lmao

GB and the Americans have definitely stood out in stealing silver/bronze from the jaws of gold often, but it's definitely better than what many of the Aus underperformers have done, which is not even get close to the podium at all (rowers, looking at you)
Judged on qualifying times, GB look hot favourites for the Women's Team Sprint to be decided later.......we've been here before!!

GB have snatched a couple of golds which didn't seem likely (although Pidcock would've been unlucky not to win). But generally, feels like there's been an ability to throw away winning positions. Woods in the canoe then being a shocker having done the hard bit by getting in front.

I know RTB talks about just enjoying the sports, but I like to see a winning mentality in GB athletes (like Aussies do), it's been lacking a bit here.

Spark

Global Moderator
Judged on qualifying times, GB look hot favourites for the Women's Team Sprint to be decided later.......we've been here before!!

GB have snatched a couple of golds which didn't seem likely (although Pidcock would've been unlucky not to win). But generally, feels like there's been an ability to throw away winning positions. Woods in the canoe then being a shocker having done the hard bit by getting in front.

I know RTB talks about just enjoying the sports, but I like to see a winning mentality in GB athletes (like Aussies do), it's been lacking a bit here.
That win at all costs mentality I think was identified as a major reason the team underperformed, especially in pressure situations, in London and Rio. They've actually gone to a Pat Cummins style "just go and have fun" type approach in the last two games (which is very common in Aus sport at the moment) and it's paying dividends so far.