• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Such a joke that Shamar is at 11 haha, he's a far cleaner striker of the ball than any of 8 to 10.

No stopping that though, what an over. When Wood comes off he's as thrilling a bowler as we've ever had. Love how we're using him these days.
I think he was the best bowler for England across the 4 innings he played.

Desperately unlucky until that final session of play. Was out on Sunday so only caught up yesterday and thought I'd add my 2 pence worth.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I think he was the best bowler for England across the 4 innings he played.

Desperately unlucky until that final session of play. Was out on Sunday so only caught up yesterday and thought I'd add my 2 pence worth.
It was the best I have seen him bowl by a margin. It was at the top end of his usual pace, with every ball over 90mph, but he also got movement and was very accurate. If he replicates that, he will be effective against anyone.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
It was the best I have seen him bowl by a margin. It was at the top end of his usual pace, with every ball over 90mph, but he also got movement and was very accurate. If he replicates that, he will be effective against anyone.
Just wish( I know he wishes too) that he took Holding advice of shortening his run up years ago.

Been a completely different bowler since, still obviously had injuries. But when he's been fit and firing he's done this I think about 6 times now, where's he just had a session where he's ran through half a side.

From memory WI x2, SA x2 and Aussies x2

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Just wish( I know he wishes too) that he took Holding advice of shortening his run up years ago.

Been a completely different bowler since, still obviously had injuries. But when he's been fit and firing he's done this I think about 6 times now, where's he just had a session where he's ran through half a side.

From memory WI x2, SA x2 and Aussies x2
I thought he lengthened his run up following Holding's advice and that he had a way shorter run up earlier in his career that was too explosive on his body? Happy to be corrected.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for sharing that. I do recall that Holding offered similar advice to Darren Gough donkeys years ago but it didn't work. Gough was always better off a shorter run. Then again he had greater power round the shoulders and a Yorkshireman's backside, as Fred Trueman would have called it....
Woods higher leaping action's more amenable to that sort of change than Gough's one which was a bit more side-on.

I remember reading a while ago Wood said he was reluctant to change because he was comfortable off his short run. I find that a bit amazing considering how uncomfortable he looked. He was always falling over in his follow through (still does that, but nowhere near as often) and clearly didn't have the momentum to get everything going where it needed to go.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
I think more tons would be nice, and they do have things they could and should improve. But remembering when we were with openers before we landed on them, I’m happy that their places are secure.
Hi all, newb here, so be nice! I don’t think Crawley or Duckett will be going anywhere any time soon (suspect if it is Lawrence to open vs Sri Lanka that Crawley will be back when he’s fit), McCullum and Stokes clearly like both of them, but I do think for all their faults (not to say any of the other runners and riders don’t have faults!), having a lefty and a righty of vastly different heights is useful

the big bambino

International Captain
This series probably puts the WI test win in Australia in some perspective. Australia had been touring and won a WTC, CWC and retained the Ashes. You could understand why they would've been stale in the home summer that followed. The marketing and advertising for the last home summer was close to a scam and focused on our team rather than the upcoming contests. But this time the WI caught England at the beginning of their season and looking to rebuild rather than a tired team. Shamar looks good as does Seales. But the batting is still weak and their problems have outlasted the excitement from the test win in Aus.