• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
French up to 2nd in medals table. Can they keep it up or have they just put most of their strong events in the first few days to get off to a flyer and hope momentum carries others through to better results?

Spark

Global Moderator
Obviously the Seine being a bit of a sewer isn't great but as far as a spectacle goes they clearly made the right call pulling out the stops to try and make it happen, it's such a great setting.

Molehill

International Captain
French up to 2nd in medals table. Can they keep it up or have they just put most of their strong events in the first few days to get off to a flyer and hope momentum carries others through to better results?
I see no reason why they won't keep it up. The local support definitely gives an extra couple of per cent. The surprise for me is still the US who haven't done as well as usual in the pool so far and I'm not sure they'll get that many track and field either. At least they've got the basketball I suppose.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
Great race. Hope the mens is as good.

France and GB will look forward to the mixed race with each having 2 good women for their teams. I know we have 1 good bloke, guess a lot may depend on who gets ill from the Seine.
Sprint relay is always interesting as well because it's over a much shorter distance and a lot of the top athletes only compete in the relay at the Olympics basically.

Coronis

International Coach
I see no reason why they won't keep it up. The local support definitely gives an extra couple of per cent. The surprise for me is still the US who haven't done as well as usual in the pool so far and I'm not sure they'll get that many track and field either. At least they've got the basketball I suppose.
Pfft they ain’t even World Champions.

F R A U D S
R
A
U
D
S

flibbertyjibber

Obviously the Seine being a bit of a sewer isn't great but as far as a spectacle goes they clearly made the right call pulling out the stops to try and make it happen, it's such a great setting.
Makes you think we missed a trick in London really.

Spark

Global Moderator
Isn't the main strength of the US always that they don't really have a particular sport that they're reliant on for their medals (e.g. swimming for Aus) but just pick up medals from everywhere in basically everything?

flibbertyjibber

Isn't the main strength of the US always that they don't really have a particular sport that they're reliant on for their medals (e.g. swimming for Aus) but just pick up medals from everywhere in basically everything?
They usually do much better than they are in the swimming this time though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was skeptical when someone said most of the horses in the Olympics were English-bred. However, after watching the dressage, I can see that this is probably true.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty much. Their college system gives them insane depth in most sports.

weeman27bob

I think it's more that the swimming events they're good at haven't happened yet. They won 11 golds in Tokyo. There's three that have happened so far they haven't won gold in this time, but they also didn't win gold in the women's 100m butterfly. So net down 2 golds at this point, but an awful lot still to come.

Hasn't happened yet
Men - 50m freestyle
Men - 100m freestyle
Men - 1500m freestyle
Men - 100m butterfly
Men - 4 x 100m medley
Women - 800m freestyle
Women - 1500m freestyle

Won
Men - 4 x 100m freestyle

Came second/third rather than first
Men - 800m freestyle
Men - 400m IM

Didn't get a medal
Women - 100m breaststroke

Burgey

It’s a great rehearsal for the real sewer that is the Brisbane Brown Snake

Molehill

International Captain
Meanwhile, the BBC have chosen to show diving over the Triathlon, probably because one of the British divers is the daughter of a TV personality so allows them more backstory rubbish.

It’s a great rehearsal for the real sewer that is the Brisbane Brown Snake
I saw a tweet by someone mentioning some of the great landmarks that can be used to cycle past in Brisbane (I know little of the City). My favourite bit was a bridge that looks like one of the other bridges!!

weeman27bob

Meanwhile, the BBC have chosen to show diving over the Triathlon, probably because one of the British divers is the daughter of a TV personality so allows them more backstory rubbish.

I saw a tweet by someone mentioning some of the great landmarks that can be used to cycle past in Brisbane (I know little of the City). My favourite bit was a bridge that looks like one of the other bridges!!

There's probably a while until we get to the business end of the triathlon though