• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Brook's side

International Regular
That wasn't Claire Balding, it was Rebecca Adlington
Due to the incessant pathetic attempts to contradict me whenever I post, I'll just factually clear this one up:

Balding "Mark were you a fan of headphones?"
Mark "...I listened to music..."
Adlington "was it a walkman or a disc player...?"
Mark "It was a record player..."
Balding "was it classical music?"

OK, so it was both. Does it matter?

Brook's side

International Regular
Seeing as Balding, Foster and Adlington have done numerous Olympics and Commonwealth Games together I think you can safely say they get on better than Ballard and Ellie Simmonds. 🙄

Anyway, as I say, going by the information I have, I think the comments were likely intended in a similar vein, and I don't consider it appropriate or fair that he was sacked, and publicly vilified.

Ali TT

International Regular
Epic end in the air pistol final, Serbia winning on the final shot over Turkiye. Great camaraderie between the teams at the end too

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Apologies if this has been covered, but was Tubby any good at covering diving? was it on Roy n HG 'The Dream' vibes for the mascot bombing competition from 2000?
I've seen the Shepmates version of the Aussie commentary for the Jess Fox canoe run (which seems to have now been taken down). I have no idea who the commentators were, but I have no doubt they had very little canoe experience (which was probably why it made for such a good mocking opportunity).

Ali TT

International Regular
View attachment 41140
back in the missile’s day you could zorkle yourself full of stilnox and still flop at the games, but you can’t anymore. this is because of woke
Just explained on the beeb that the pool is 2.2m deep, so the water waves generated by the swimmers bounce back and slow them down more than a "faster" pool of depth 3m.

Tl:dr - shallow = woke

Furball

Evil Scotsman
View attachment 41140
back in the missile’s day you could zorkle yourself full of stilnox and still flop at the games, but you can’t anymore. this is because of woke
I mean, there's quite a body of evidence which would suggest that a 'vegan-first mentality' would lead to an increase in performance, but ok.

The pool being unusually shallow (most Olympic pools are 3m deep vs 2.25m in Paris) is probably the main factor behind the pool being slow.

ripper868

International Coach
Find swimming to be one of the most boring events tbh.

It's great they can swim fast n stuff, but needs some jazzing up, like, athletics has hurdles and relays with baton drops etc, add some underwater hoops that they need to swim through.

It's a fantastic exercise for fitness no doubt, but i just don't get its appeal as a spectator event.