• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Molehill

International Captain
God we were awful in the rugby sevens just then - couldn't tackle, constantly messing up with the ball.

Nowhere near deserving of going through
Yep, I don't quite understand the make up of that team. There are a lot of fast and powerful runners in the England 15 team, yet only one seems to have turned up for the 7's. I had assumed we'd be strong in this event, but having checked the odds with the bookies saw they had us at 80-1, they were not wrong. Should be a good final between NZ and Aus (when they undoubtedly win their semis), not a lot between them.

Molehill

International Captain
Men's Triathlon postponed to tomorrow because the river is too dirty.

Interesting to see if they're going to be able to pull together a back up plan if they can't go tomorrow.
Thunder storms due later which won't help the levels. They have a back up date for Friday and if not they could also do a duathlon. This could help our man Alex Yee (who is probably the overall favourite anyway) given that he's basically a 10k runner that learnt how to swim and cycle.

Ali TT

International Regular
So Clare Balding was just ribbing the male presenter there (sorry I can't remember his name, but I think he did breastsroke), and saying that he probably had to carry a record player around with him when he was swimming if he wanted to listen to music.
To me the makeup comment was likely in a similar vain. You can't end peoples' careers over something like that, it's appalling.
That wasn't Claire Balding, it was Rebecca Adlington

Ali TT

International Regular
Yep, I don't quite understand the make up of that team. There are a lot of fast and powerful runners in the England 15 team, yet only one seems to have turned up for the 7's. I had assumed we'd be strong in this event, but having checked the odds with the bookies saw they had us at 80-1, they were not wrong. Should be a good final between NZ and Aus (when they undoubtedly win their semis), not a lot between them.
Both GB 7s teams ranked 8th in the world SVNS league this year. Men's didn't even make this Olympics, a shame after coming 2nd and 4th in the last two tournaments.

Ali TT

International Regular
It's also not remotely the same thing.
Agreed but I can't be bothered to get into a further debate with that poster.

The loss of triathlon has forced the beeb to show other sports. Just seen Australia lose to Poland in the beach volleyball. Now the big match up - India v Korea in 10M team air pistol. One of the Indian team looks like she's come straight from the optician's chair.

Molehill

International Captain
Both GB 7s teams ranked 8th in the world SVNS league this year. Men's didn't even make this Olympics, a shame after coming 2nd and 4th in the last two tournaments.
I don't quite understand how they didn't qualify given that 12 teams were in it and they would clearly be one of the best 12. Is it more to do with the fact they don't play as GB in the Sevens League but as individual nations?

Ali TT

International Regular
Agreed but I can't be bothered to get into a further debate with that poster.

The loss of triathlon has forced the beeb to show other sports. Just seen Australia lose to Poland in the beach volleyball. Now the big match up - India v Korea in 10M team air pistol. One of the Indian team looks like she's come straight from the optician's chair.
Bronze for India! Pretty sure the Indian woman (Bhaker) is a terminator. She certainly didn't show any emotion and there didn't appear to be any chemistry with her teammate.

Brook's side

International Regular
Yep.

This was clearly banter between genuine friends about the older one being ancient.
Genuine friends? You think Balding and Foster hang out?

The Eurosport commentators sounded like friends to me too in an earlier clip.

The press report his co-commentator as calling his comment "outrageous", but I'm sure she said it in a teasy way back, not in a serious way as it was portrayed.

ripper868

International Coach
Apologies if this has been covered, but was Tubby any good at covering diving? was it on Roy n HG 'The Dream' vibes for the mascot bombing competition from 2000?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuine friends? You think Balding and Foster hang out?

The Eurosport commentators sounded like friends to me too in an earlier clip.

The press report his co-commentator as calling his comment "outrageous", but I'm sure she said it in a teasy way back, not in a serious way as it was portrayed.
Seeing as Balding, Foster and Adlington have done numerous Olympics and Commonwealth Games together I think you can safely say they get on better than Ballard and Ellie Simmonds. 🙄