• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Sport/Event in the 2024 Olympics - submissions

Molehill

International Captain
Me watching rowing in a year when we have no stand out gold medal prospects.

Think I'm coming to a similar conclusion, and may have to add Sailing into that category too.

I'm wondering where all GB's talented rowers and sailors have gone?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Football, for who the **** cares for Football in Olympics?? Almost the same for Tennis and Golf.
Who the **** needs 1300 ****ing swimming events?? Half of those should be removed.
Dressage and skateboarding?? Are we being real here???
Artistic gymnastics is lame as ****.
In conclusion, every event except Javelin throw should be removed.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Nah.

If nothing else the fact that some of these teenagers still have working knees and ankles is a marvel in itself.
Yeah, I will give you that. The level of skill is undeniable, but really boring for my untrained eyes.

Molehill

International Captain
Aren't the rowers fancied to do well this year?
Every time I switch on to it I see a GB boat languishing near the back. But having checked some results, seems we do have a few going through to Finals with chances so far.

Will pay closer attention....

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
I think mostly what this thread suggests is that outside of some of the "non-pinnacle" events and potentially a few of the judges scoring events, that even if you think an event is dire, someone else probably loves it.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I think mostly what this thread suggests is that outside of some of the "non-pinnacle" events and potentially a few of the judges scoring events, that even if you think an event is dire, someone else probably loves it.
I think non-pinnacle events are the worst, especially football; as not even the biggest football fans care for them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think non-pinnacle events are the worst, especially football; as not even the biggest football fans care for them.
Yup.

I must admit I always slightly ascribed my complete indifference to Olympic footy to the fact that GB didn't enter a team. However we did in 2012 and genuinely wasn't arsed then either.

Molehill

International Captain
Yup.

I must admit I always slightly ascribed my complete indifference to Olympic footy to the fact that GB didn't enter a team. However we did in 2012 and genuinely wasn't arsed then either.
I see Djokovic played Nadal earlier today. Normally, that would be a must see tennis match, but really couldn't care less.....although probably doesn't help that Nadal is about as mobile round a court as Murray.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Football might be more exciting for countries who don't have many other medal chances. Ie Argentina and Morocco.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I feel like it's kind of the purpose of the olympics to see weird sports on show and give those sportspeople a big audience in front of which to do their biggest thing. So I'm inclined to agree that things like golf and football that don't really have the Olympics as the prestigious tournament. For everything else, the Olympics is absolutely the right place imo.

Like when else are you going to find out a thing or two about the best in the world at taekwondo or whatever and learn a bit about what it means to be that?

'I'm a +3 x-pro rated continental torunament winner' - visible confusion, does this guy play in the pub or what
'I've an olympic medal' - I get it, nice

I think one thing that makes people get their knacks in a bind about having unusual sports is that they see the Olympics not as a celebration of all sport has about it around the world, which is absolutely what it should be, but instead they see it as some kind of rubber-stamp approval of which sports they're supposed to care about as commanded by the authorities. Which it might try to be sometimes, but shouldn't be.

To get around this they should get used to binning a good number of sports every time and then bringing them back. Keep a handful of them as important permanent council members if you like, such as track and field and whatever, but then throw the doors open.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yup.

Possibly has something to do with it. Scotland could have represented GB at the 1996 games and I think there's been a couple of recent Games where England could have done the same, but I don't think I could bring myself to support an England U21 side that was basically re-branded for an Olympic tournament I don't care about.

I didn't give a **** about team GB in 2012 either but I think part of that was because the Olympics was a great distraction from the utter **** show unfolding off the pitch at Rangers at the time. Also probably didn't help that the Scottish and Irish FAs refused to take part, which are the two constituent parts of the country I identify most closely with.

Spark

Global Moderator
I feel like it's kind of the purpose of the olympics to see weird sports on show and give those sportspeople a big audience in front of which to do their biggest thing. So I'm inclined to agree that things like golf and football that don't really have the Olympics as the prestigious tournament. For everything else, the Olympics is absolutely the right place imo.

Like when else are you going to find out a thing or two about the best in the world at taekwondo or whatever and learn a bit about what it means to be that?

'I'm a +3 x-pro rated continental torunament winner' - visible confusion, does this guy play in the pub or what
'I've an olympic medal' - I get it, nice

I think one thing that makes people get their knacks in a bind about having unusual sports is that they see the Olympics not as a celebration of all sport has about it around the world, which is absolutely what it should be, but instead they see it as some kind of rubber-stamp approval of which sports they're supposed to care about as commanded by the authorities. Which it might try to be sometimes, but shouldn't be.

To get around this they should get used to binning a good number of sports every time and then bringing them back. Keep a handful of them as important permanent council members if you like, such as track and field and whatever, but then throw the doors open.
I agree with all of this except the idea that there's any pressing need to control the number of sports at the Olympics anyway. Within logistical reason, just throw the doors open IMO. If it's established enough to have genuine elite level competition at an international level and it isn't a team sport with established mainstream prestige events already then it belongs in the Olympics.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As for the 'non-pinnacle' argument...how many sports have the Olympics as the unarguable pinnacle of the sport?

Even for sports like athletics and swimming, they have their own World Championships. I wonder if someone like Colin Jackson, who was a double world champion (and set a world record in doing so in 1993) would have given up Stuttgart 1993 for a gold either the year previously in Barcelona, or at Atlanta in 1996.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
As for the 'non-pinnacle' argument...how many sports have the Olympics as the unarguable pinnacle of the sport?

Even for sports like athletics and swimming, they have their own World Championships. I wonder if someone like Colin Jackson, who was a double world champion (and set a world record in doing so in 1993) would have given up Stuttgart 1993 for a gold either the year previously in Barcelona, or at Atlanta in 1996.
I think if you asked any of the athletes they'd definitely pick Olympic gold over world championship gold in all of the athletic events (and pretty much everything else other than football/golf/tennis).

The only other one that stands out is road cycling. People want to win an Olympic medal but it's definitely less prestigious than the TdF and probably the world championships

shortpitched713

International Captain
Any sport where the playing field is the "natural outdoors" and the home team can practice on the course, and the teams traveling in cannot.