• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FMD, imagine being a rower

At least our swimmers earn millions after years of getting up at sparrows

Coronis

International Coach
Who gives a **** about half these sports.....unless you've got a chance of winning a medal of course!!

And in other news, a commentator sacked for this controversial comment about the Aussie Women's relay winning swimmers....

Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

As a father of 2 daughters, can confirm this is exactly what they do!!

Bob Ballard: Olympics commentator axed over ***ist remark - BBC News
****wit

Brook's side

International Regular
Who gives a **** about half these sports.....unless you've got a chance of winning a medal of course!!

And in other news, a commentator sacked for this controversial comment about the Aussie Women's relay winning swimmers....

Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make up".

As a father of 2 daughters, can confirm this is exactly what they do!!

Bob Ballard: Olympics commentator axed over ***ist remark - BBC News
I must say I've not heard the comment (can't find it) but it seems an over reaction to sack him, doesn't it?
especially bearing in mind the way that someone gets painted in that situation. When I first saw his picture and a headline I thought he'd been caught out for being a *** monster or something.

Probably poorly judged with kids watching who might be looking for inspiration and role models, but it just sounds like a light hearted comment.
I read on another forum that he's gay, so not likely to be a massive male chauvenist or whatever.

If presenters are constrained to just factually describing the events it'll make viewing sports a less entertaining experience, and make less people interested in sport.

Seems to me like they should have just let him apologise and move on rather than making a massive deal about it.

(no doubt I'm on completely the wrong side of this argument as always though)

Ali TT

International Regular
Moving on from the above nonsense from our usual suspect, first gold for Team GB in the eventing.

Whether the horsey stuff should be there or not, pretty epic venue in the grounds of Versailles

Brook's side

International Regular
Moving on from the above nonsense from our usual suspect, first gold for Team GB in the eventing.

Whether the horsey stuff should be there or not, pretty epic venue in the grounds of Versailles
I'm not your anything pal.

And if "the horsey stuff" shouldn't be there, then the epicness of the grounds wouldn't come in to.
Don't know why they shouldn't be there though. Been a key Olympic event for decades, and the horses would not doubt be gutted to lose their sport (presuming this is a horse welfare issue).

Yes, well done to team GB. Shame it was a bit less exciting than normal, but you can't have everything.

Chubb

International Regular
Versailles is the perfect place for such an elitist event. To the guillotine with all of them!

Heboric

International Debutant
Seemed to have thrown the book at Canada.

In the wonderful documentary Chasing the Sun 2, the Bok management team was so paranoid that the French were spying on them during practice, they started practice moves and calls in hotel rooms and lobbies :laugh:

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
They had to withdraw one of their horses through injury. Unlike the Poms who get done for abusing their animals (in all kinds of ways) we look after ours.
If your horse got injured, sounds like it wasn't fit to be in the event in the first place.

ABUSERS
B
U
S
E
R
S