• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Hedley Verity

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
We all acknowledge that Ashwin is a vastly improved bowler away the last few years.

However, I note the inconsistency from some you want to ignore his early career altogether in a way we wouldn't do for other bowlers based on how important they see the 2021 win was.

I think Ashwin was unlucky in a sense that he hasn't had a standout matchwinning performance in SENA yet but some of you consider 2021 to be that already, I don't think it crosses that threshold though it was a good performance.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
We all acknowledge that Ashwin is a vastly improved bowler away the last few years.

However, I note the inconsistency from some you want to ignore his early career altogether in a way we wouldn't do for other bowlers based on how important they see the 2021 win was.

I think Ashwin was unlucky in a sense that he hasn't had a standout matchwinning performance in SENA yet but some of you consider 2021 to be that already, I don't think it crosses that threshold though it was a good performance.
Lyon also doesn't have any stand out match winning performance in SEN.

subshakerz

International Coach
You also repeatedly stated spinners winning Tests in non turning conditions is most important; Ashwin does that twice, outperforming Lyon. Not a rocket science, as those performances being better than Lyon's 6 fer in a won Test is.
Those three-fers are short of matchwinning performances for me. Very important contributions yes. I know it may seem petty to you but honestly that's what I believe, I am judging Ash by worldclass spinner standards.

Spark

Global Moderator

subshakerz

International Coach
That game was dead and buried long before Lyon started bowling in the last innings.

I honestly don't think Lyon bowled amazingly well in this game, but he got basically as helpful conditions as you're ever likely to see in that part of the world.
I think this is the misunderstanding. My expectation for a a worldclass spinner in SENA is exactly that. Once the game is set up for you (normally 3rd/4th day), you run through a batting lineup.

It doesn't have to always be some out of the world exceptional thing to qualify as matchwinning for me.

It's in this criteria that I critique Ashwin who for me has clearly done it in SENA yet.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think this is the misunderstanding. My expectation for a a worldclass spinner in SENA is exactly that. Once the game is set up for you (normally 3rd/4th day), you run through a batting lineup.

It doesn't have to always be some out of the world exceptional thing to qualify as matchwinning for me.

It's in this criteria that I critique Ashwin who for me has clearly done it in SENA yet.
I don't know how else I can put this but that pitch was as unrepresentative a pitch of stereotypical "SENA" conditions as you'll see.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sure and you can have Sydney or Old Trafford that can have those more friendly pitches too.
This was way, way, way more spin friendly than either of those places have been. That pitch in the last innings was about as well-tailored to Lyon's strengths as any he's played on his career.

I'm very confident in saying that Ashwin would have taken loads of poles on that deck too. It had that much turn and highly unpredictable extra bounce.

subshakerz

International Coach
This was way, way, way more spin friendly than either of those places have been. That pitch in the last innings was about as well-tailored to Lyon's strengths as any he's played on his career.

I'm very confident in saying that Ashwin would have taken loads of poles on that deck too. It had that much turn and highly unpredictable extra bounce.
I am not going to deny that. I have said that Ashwin has been unlucky that circumstances haven't allowed him a chance to do such performances in SENA.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You having different criterias isn't the problem Subz, them being inconsistent is.
Nah him being a biased drivelling idiot who hates Indian cricket is not an issue at all. It is only an issue when every bloody thread becomes all about it all the bloody time.

This one is on ankit and Houe though, they yelled his name enough times. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

You do realize you are talking to someone who thinks its not necessary to watch a game in order to draw false conclusions that suit their own bias. :laugh: