• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I think it’s wrong how so much power is given to the supposed big three

In future the way it looks , I’m so happy I experienced the game from the mid 70s to 2030 or so

I can’t see in the future there being the players coming through as good or equal to those who played in the time period above
100% agreed. I've mostly grown up when we have been rubbish with sporadic examples of success, but at least I've lived through proper test series when guys coming in have form and experience behind them and we had a home series not played during hurricane season.

Seeing all of these stats due to Jimmy's retiring was so eye-opening. Jason Holder has been around for a decade, has not missed much cricket until very recently and yet he has played 66 matches. Ben Stokes has played over 100 in spite of being suspended, injured and all sorts of absences. Test cricket is no longer a serious sport that values competition in my eyes.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Get real. England not even playing at full tilt, messing around and winning casually in the end. If England "needed" to win this match by 400 runs, I bet they would've managed to do so, despite losing the toss and having worse of the conditions.

It'd not be a contest at all if England needed to win big to qualify for something, hypothetically speaking. They would grind the Windies down completely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Get real. England not even playing at full tilt, messing around and winning casually in the end. If England "needed" to win this match by 400 runs, I bet they would've managed to do so, despite losing the toss and having worse of the conditions.

It'd not be a contest at all if England needed to win big to qualify for something hypothetically speaking. They would grind the Windies down completely.
Mark Wood was bowling as high as 97, five of the top six got at least one 50, 2 passed it twice, three tons. Spinner took 5.

Coasting!

WICFan

State 12th Man

It'd not be a contest at all if England needed to win big to qualify for something, hypothetically speaking. They would grind the Windies down completely.
Nice of them to run about like blue-arsed flys for a good part of this test then.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
100% agreed. I've mostly grown up when we have been rubbish with sporadic examples of success, but at least I've lived through proper test series when guys coming in have form and experience behind them and we had a home series not played during hurricane season.

Seeing all of these stats due to Jimmy's retiring was so eye-opening. Jason Holder has been around for a decade, has not missed much cricket until very recently and yet he has played 66 matches. Ben Stokes has played over 100 in spite of being suspended, injured and all sorts of absences. Test cricket is no longer a serious sport that values competition in my eyes.
The five-Test series in the Caribbean was enjoyable. I believe the last one was against Australia in 2004. It was epic for numerous reasons. A Test series truly enhances the dynamics of a Test match, showcasing all the fluctuations and resilience.

Cook and Stuart Broad both made their test debuts after Mushfiqur Rahim.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
That would seem to be what the ICC, ECB, Cricket Australia and BCCI want. Self fulfilling prophecy. Hoover up all the money from home tours and TV deals, limit everyone outside the big 3 to two or three match series, IPL series grows and grows until it basically takes over our entire home season, meaning no white ball players get to play red ball cricket at all.

England fans should enjoy these naff 2 match series whilst they can because soon you'll just play India and Australia constantly.
I'd happily play yourselves and anyone else in a longer than 3 series at home.

I know away it's too costly for a lot of countries to host a longer series.

But as you says it's greedy cricket boards to blame for that.

It's absolutely horrendous that cricket fans are falling for the lets not play x,y,z team because its not competitive enough. It's gaslighting at its worst.

The big 3 alongside the ICC are breaking cricket before our eyes with their greed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The five-Test series in the Caribbean was enjoyable. I believe the last one was against Australia in 2004. It was epic for numerous reasons. A Test series truly enhances the dynamics of a Test match, showcasing all the fluctuations and resilience.

Cook and Stuart Broad both made their test debuts after Mushfiqur Rahim.
Technically West Indies beat England in a five match series in 2009

World cricket needs a strong West Indies. I hope they get there again. Watching that great side with Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Marshall, Garner, Holding etc etc played no small part in me falling in love with the game, not to mention the energy of their followers.

CartyDurham

International Captain
And dropped a ridiculous number of catches through opportunities generated on this 'road.'

Shall we both talk about the quality of England touring teams in various places over the years that have been worse than this?
I think that poster is looking to cause unnecessary upset