• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
WI are virtually a minnow playing away from home. A top county side should be able to beat them. So performances against them don't mean a lot tbh. To have 6 tests back to back vs WI and SL at home is frankly too much. Poor scheduling.

CartyDurham

International Captain
WI are virtually a minnow playing away from home. A top county side should be able to beat them. So performances against them don't mean a lot tbh. To have 6 tests back to back vs WI and SL at home is frankly too much. Poor scheduling.
They beat Australia away in possibly their last series

CartyDurham

International Captain
Unassuming character this Bashir , nicely spoken interview

apparently the youngest ever to take five wickets in an innings for England

King Kane

International Debutant
This England team needs to beat Australia or NZ away from home to stamp their credentials, beating the West Indies at home doesn't count for much.

CartyDurham

International Captain
This England team needs to beat Australia or NZ away from home to stamp their credentials, beating the West Indies at home doesn't count for much.
I don’t see England beating the Australians away but they have more chance v New Zealand

wow

Biden is standing down

Silver Silva

International Debutant
They are building a new side so need practice against the lesser test teams like West Indies and Sri Lanka , I think that's great scheduling !

CartyDurham

International Captain
They are building a new side so need practice against the lesser test teams like West Indies and Sri Lanka , I think that's great scheduling !
I’ve not seen much of Sri Lanka for a while now as their games are on a channel I don’t pay for

who should I be looking forward to ?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Such a shame to collapse like that after a solid test performance up until that point. Alas it was a reminder that our batting is still diabolical and needs significant change. England bowled really well and this time Hodge and Athanaze couldn't get in to save us.

We dropped a stupid a number of catches in this match which I reckon cost us 100 to 150 runs. Given our batting, we simply can't afford that.

The main positive for me is that we've bowled England out 3 times even though Shamar is massively undercooked, Alzarri has been poor and Motie missed this test where he would have been a real handful. Seales was superb considering his start in both innings. That showed character and skill. Our bowling is in pretty good shape and we don't need to consider any big changes.

The batting has to change though. We don't have too many options but you can't have a test number 3 playing like McKenzie is and Holder at 6 which is at least one spot too high. I'd drop McKenzie and bring in Imlach at Edgbaston. Alternatively, drop him, keep Sinclair, bring back Motie and move Hodge up to 3.

Anyway, congratulations England, hopefully that test was a more enjoyable contest and we learned more about Atkinson here when he was made to work than we did at Lords.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Such a shame to collapse like that after a solid test performance up until that point. Alas it was a reminder that our batting is still diabolical and needs significant change. England bowled really well and this time Hodge and Athanaze couldn't get in to save us.

We dropped a stupid a number of catches in this match which I reckon cost us 100 to 150 runs. Given our batting, we simply can't afford that.

The main positive for me is that we've bowled England out 3 times even though Shamar is massively undercooked, Alzarri has been poor and Motie missed this test where he would have been a real handful. Seales was superb considering his start in both innings. That showed character and skill. Our bowling is in pretty good shape and we don't need to consider any big changes.

The batting has to change though. We don't have too many options but you can't have a test number 3 playing like McKenzie is and Holder at 6 which is at least one spot too high. I'd drop McKenzie and bring in Imlach at Edgbaston. Alternatively, drop him, keep Sinclair, bring back Motie and move Hodge up to 3.

Anyway, congratulations England, hopefully that test was a more enjoyable contest and we learned more about Atkinson here when he was made to work than we did at Lords.
Good read this. Thanks

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
They beat Australia away in possibly their last series
Pink ball phenomenon where a bowler could do something extraordinary while Aus took it lightly.

You are only highlighting that game because it was a mini miracle. If it was kind of normal for Windies to win matches away, then we wouldn't even be mentioning that game.

Beamer

Sick of hot takes like this tbh. Do your research, watch our last series. We're not good yes but I firmly believe with luck, decent preparation and the right conditions we could win a test in England like we have on the last two tours.

Focus on England's strengths and performance not ill informed statements about us.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Pink ball phenomenon where a bowler could do something extraordinary while Aus took it lightly.

You are only highlighting that game because it was a mini miracle. If it was kind of normal for Windies to win matches away, then we wouldn't even be mentioning that game.
Not highlighting it

they are above a level you suggested in my opinion

they had opportunities to win this test

anyway I’m leaving it there , I’ve had my say

mackembhoy

International Debutant
2 match series are disgrace so what were we supposed to do. Not play these sides at all?

It's also massively disrespectful to the West Indies who literally won in Australia in their last overseas series.

Beamer

2 match series are disgrace so what were we supposed to do. Not play these sides at all?
That would seem to be what the ICC, ECB, Cricket Australia and BCCI want. Self fulfilling prophecy. Hoover up all the money from home tours and TV deals, limit everyone outside the big 3 to two or three match series, IPL series grows and grows until it basically takes over our entire home season, meaning no white ball players get to play red ball cricket at all.

England fans should enjoy these naff 2 match series whilst they can because soon you'll just play India and Australia constantly.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve not seen much of Sri Lanka for a while now as their games are on a channel I don’t pay for

who should I be looking forward to ?
Unless some have retired they still have the likes of Mathews, Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis, Chandimal, and DDS so it is a very experienced batting lineup. Unless the bowlers have learnt how to bat, SL will have a terribly weak tail.

Asitha Fernando is a good seamer who might be useful in England.

CartyDurham

International Captain
That would seem to be what the ICC, ECB, Cricket Australia and BCCI want. Self fulfilling prophecy. Hoover up all the money from home tours and TV deals, limit everyone outside the big 3 to two or three match series, IPL series grows and grows until it basically takes over our entire home season, meaning no white ball players get to play red ball cricket at all.

Enjoy these naff 2 match series whilst you can because soon you'll just play India and Australia constantly.
I think it’s wrong how so much power is given to the supposed big three

In future the way it looks , I’m so happy I experienced the game from the mid 70s to 2030 or so

I can’t see in the future there being the players coming through as good or equal to those who played in the time period above