• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Brook's side

International Regular
Rose has been Faldo like today. Worst conditions all 3 days.

No idea what to compare Brown to!! Astonishing.

Horshcel reminds me of Corey Pavin.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With those dropped shots, genuinely think the first 12 all have a decent chance here, considering Scott and Thomas are Accomplished players.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah anyone 1 over and below should be in with a chance…hopefully another journeyman doesn’t take it this year…

Brook's side

International Regular
Those I think deserve to win it:

1. Rose - hardest conditions all 3 rounds
2. Horschel - immense today in the worst conditions
3. Brown - immense today in the worst conditions

Maybe also Thomas and Scheffler.

I'd be surprised if Rose had enough energy left though after 3 superb rounds

Would be a bit of a travesty if someone who shot a low round this morning won.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Could probably have got better than 350-1 on Lawrence if I'd shopped around, but only did bets at all because my free bet-builder on the Euros final came in so Skybet it was. I like Saffies in the Open, they can generally play in the wind. Good thing he is doing well because the rest of my bets are ****e. Finau, Matsuyama, Koepka, Morikawa {very disappointed in Colin today, thought he'd push on) and some others at similar odds to Lawrence, who I won't deign to name.
Would never bet on finau, one of those elite players who I have no confidence will ever win a major. Fleetwood falls into that category too.

Tom Flint

International Regular
What do you think you could shoot there

Full disclosure

I have an official handicap of 12.6 but that’s by putting in the bare minimum number of cards irrespective of how I play

Rarely play the blacks

Haven’t played a club event in eons

Let’s say I’m a handy 18 on a good course

No way that I break 100 & probably be a lot more with lots of lost balls

Likely that there’s a few holes where I am completely fkd after my tee shot as a few of the pros barely made the fairway
Was listening to matt Wallace earlier in the week on talksport. They asked him if a 15 handicap golfer played this course against him who would win. Wallace would start each hole on the tee and the 15 handicapper would start in a position on the green chosen by Wallace.
Wallace said you would struggle to putt into the hole in 5 shots. Therefore giving you a round of 90.

social

Would never bet on finau, one of those elite players who I have no confidence will ever win a major. Fleetwood falls into that category too.
Fleetwood’s body language has been strange all week

Looked to me as if he, Rory and Fitzpatrick never believed that they would do well this week and haven’t displayed any positive energy at all

social

Was listening to matt Wallace earlier in the week on talksport. They asked him if a 15 handicap golfer played this course against him who would win. Wallace would start each hole on the tee and the 15 handicapper would start in a position on the green chosen by Wallace.
Wallace said you would struggle to putt into the hole in 5 shots. Therefore giving you a round of 90.
I have always been a pretty good putter but could imagine putting up some big numbers before even making the green

There’s a couple of holes where I would have to hit sideways off the tee as there’s no way I could fly it far enough to carry the scrub into the wind

Tom Flint

International Regular
He said he wouldn't necessarily put you on the furthest part of the green from the hole. There are some areas closer which you would end up further away than where you started.
As a keen golf watcher but not a player I'm interested to know how much harder they make this course this week compared to a regular week when your normal members and guests play?

social

He said he wouldn't necessarily put you on the furthest part of the green from the hole. There are some areas closer which you would end up further away than where you started.
As a keen golf watcher but not a player I'm interested to know how much harder they make this course this week compared to a regular week when your normal members and guests play?
I’d be surprised if it was much different

The variable is the tee you use as the championship ones are generally a lot further back - longer the ball is in the air > more likely to be impacted by the wind

Some courses are tricked up by speeding up the greens for the pros but it might not be possible here due to the wind as the ball would be blown off

Brook's side

International Regular
Aside from moving the tees back, and cutting the greens shorter, what could they do??

Last edited: