• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great lower order batting teams in history?

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
England's best lower order is from about 10 years ago when they had Swann at 10 batting behind Bresnan and Broad. The best I can find on paper is the one we had for the Bangladesh tour in 2016 which had Woakes, Rashid, Batty and Broad making an 8-11 with 20 odd first class hundreds between them. Didn't make many runs in those tests though.
Was going to suggest that one, although I would have suggested that their best period was from 2009 through to mid 2012. I think they went rapidly downhill after that.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
If we are talking Test cricket:

Shane Warne - 3,154 runs @ 17.32
Brett Lee - 1,451 runs @ 20.15
Jason Gillespie - 1,218 runs @ 18.73
Glenn McGrath - 641 runs @ 7.36

McGrath is obviously the weak link but collectively every single of them scored at least one Test 50, three of them scored multiple Test 50s and one of them scored a Test 100 (Gillespie - double hundred).

Not a bad batting lower order I think.

kyear2

International Coach
If we are talking Test cricket:

Shane Warne - 3,154 runs @ 17.32
Brett Lee - 1,451 runs @ 20.15
Jason Gillespie - 1,218 runs @ 18.73
Glenn McGrath - 641 runs @ 7.36

McGrath is obviously the weak link but collectively every single of them scored at least one Test 50, three of them scored multiple Test 50s and one of them scored a Test 100 (Gillespie - double hundred).

Not a bad batting lower order I think.
Yup, more than good enough.

Migara

International Coach
Sri Lanka had (batting 8 - 11)

Vaas 2785 @ 25.6
Dharmasena 557 @ 18.6
Chandana 519 @ 24.7
Murali 1287 @ 11.9
Herath 1648 @ 14.5
Kulaskara 341 @ 14.5
Prasad 491 @ 12.6

as various combinations, with Vaas and Murali being ever present.

And it aches my eyes to see the batting of current SL bowlers. These old timers were pretty courageous batsmen who were prepared to take blows from faster bowlers, to off set their general lack of skill.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Sri Lanka had (batting 8 - 11)

Vaas 2785 @ 25.6
Dharmasena 557 @ 18.6
Chandana 519 @ 24.7
Murali 1287 @ 11.9
Herath 1648 @ 14.5
Kulaskara 341 @ 14.5
Prasad 491 @ 12.6

as various combinations, with Vaas and Murali being ever present.

And it aches my eyes to see the batting of current SL bowlers. These old timers were pretty courageous batsmen who were prepared to take blows from faster bowlers, to off set their general lack of skill.
Murali probably the weak link in that line up. He just used to shut his eyes and swing the bat and hope for the best lol.

reyrey

U19 Vice-Captain
McGrath at least improved his batting as his career progressed. First half he averaged 5, second half he averaged 10.

Murali definitely had more batting talent, but seemed to get worse as his career progressed.

Barrel scraped.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Australia's 7 to11 for the one-off Bicentennial Test against England in 1988 was pretty strong.

Peter Sleep (FC 34, Tests 24)
Greg Dyer (FC 28, Tests 21)
Peter Taylor (FC 30, Tests 26)
Tony Dodemaide (FC 28, Tests 22)
Craig McDermott (FC 16, Tests 12).

*Also, No. 5 Mike Veletta that match had a lower Test average (18) than all but McDermott!

howitzer

State Captain
Not as bad as 1978/79 Ashes 4th Test. Border left stranded not out in both innings while the 5 combined for 34 runs in 1st innings and only 3 runs in the 2nd (4 ducks)

7. Maclean +
8. Hogg
9. Dymock
10. Higgs
11. Hurst

That 8-11 might actually be worse than the Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins tail. Nine, ten and jack about the same. Caddick not as awful as Hogg. Madness.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath at least improved his batting as his career progressed. First half he averaged 5, second half he averaged 10.

Murali definitely had more batting talent, but seemed to get worse as his career progressed.

Barrel scraped.
Really? surely not

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That 8-11 might actually be worse than the Caddick, Mullally, Tufnell and Giddins tail. Nine, ten and jack about the same. Caddick not as awful as Hogg. Madness.
Haha. 2nd innings 7-11 0,0,0,3,0. Quality.

Yeah, but that Aussie line-up had Allan Border at 6 and Maclean at 7. The England one had Mark Ramprakash and Ronnie Irani.

Second innings in the England test for Ramps to Giddins - 0, 9, 3, 3, 1, 0. Border outscored England's combined 6-11 in both innings (Border 60 & 45, England 51 & 16)

I'm sure @Burgey will agree that the Real AB makes all the difference.

Coronis

International Coach
Really? surely not
Those damn flat 00’s pitches. McGrath the huge beneficiary.

Australia's 7 to11 for the one-off Bicentennial Test against England in 1988 was pretty strong.

Peter Sleep (FC 34, Tests 24)
Greg Dyer (FC 28, Tests 21)
Peter Taylor (FC 30, Tests 26)
Tony Dodemaide (FC 28, Tests 22)
Craig McDermott (FC 16, Tests 12).

*Also, No. 5 Mike Veletta that match had a lower Test average (18) than all but McDermott!
2 extremely mediocre test sides for a bicentennial match..