• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
Nortje turned down a central contract, is that the end of his test career too ?
Not necessarily. He turned down the contract because he was coming back from injury and wanted to have more control over how he managed his return. If he declares himself ready for tests again then he may very well end up being selected for a future squad.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Overall a decent squad. Piedt instead of Harmer is unfortunate. I would have preferred another spinner in the squad. I do like the mix of youth and experience coming through at last though.

I am happy to give the coaching staff leeway with Stubbs. They picked him as more than what we, or at least I, saw him as. If they think they can mold him into a world class no3 I would love to see that. Lots of pressure on the young man's shoulders.

StephenZA

Likely team for first test.

Markram
de Zorzi
Stubbs
Bavuma
Bedingham
Verreynne
Mulder
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger/Coetzee/Ngidi 2 of

The top 5 have already been announced by Conrad. With Breetzke unlikely to play. I would prefer Mulder at 6 rather than 7. And probably Ngidi and Burger over Coetzee.

Bahseph

International Debutant
A few thoughts from me:
1. A little surprised by the Jansen resting?
2. Is it the last chance for Mulder?
3. I think even Shukri knows that Harmer is better than Piedt but if he doesn't play domestics then it's the rules I suppose.
4. I like the faith in Stubbs.
5. Brand not even being in the squad caught me off guard as well!
6. If Nortje gets back into FC he will definitely be one of the starting seamers.

Edit: Hmm I wonder if this is why Piedt moved back to SA as well? If he knew Harmer was out of the picture there could be 2 or 3 years of him being the second spinner in the Test team.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Likely team for first test.

Markram
de Zorzi
Stubbs
Bavuma
Bedingham
Verreynne
Mulder
Maharaj
Rabada
Burger/Coetzee/Ngidi 2 of

The top 5 have already been announced by Conrad. With Breetzke unlikely to play. I would prefer Mulder at 6 rather than 7. And probably Ngidi and Burger over Coetzee.
No Jansen almost guarantees a spot for Burger doesn't it?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
A few thoughts from me:
1. A little surprised by the Jansen resting?
2. Is it the last chance for Mulder?
3. I think even Shukri knows that Harmer is better than Piedt but if he doesn't play domestics then it's the rules I suppose.
4. I like the faith in Stubbs.
5. Brand not even being in the squad caught me off guard as well!
6. If Nortje gets back into FC he will definitely be one of the starting seamers.

Edit: Hmm I wonder if this is why Piedt moved back to SA as well? If he knew Harmer was out of the picture there could be 2 or 3 years of him being the second spinner in the Test team.
Regarding Mulder he has to make a score, even De Swardt managed a 50 on the NZ tour, Mulder has yet to score a 50 in any format since debuting in 2017

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Regarding Mulder he has to make a score, even De Swardt managed a 50 on the NZ tour, Mulder has yet to score a 50 in any format since debuting in 2017
He needs to bat at 6 and Kyle at 7. I would also like him to atleast get 5 innings in a row and hopefully he gets 2 or 3 50s.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
Is Jansen really rested or is Shukri starting to look elsewhere? Maybe the "rested" line is in case Mulder doesn't perform. Really hope this is not the case, but why only Jansen? Rabada, Markram and Maharaj have all had the same schedule as Jansen more or less. The statement just doesn't seem right.
I do think it's last chances for Mulder and Verreyne.
Immensely suprised with the Piedt decision, all I can think is that it's based on the NZ tour performance.
Nortjie, says that he will return to test cricket to end of the year, but let's see.
Glad about the faith in Stubbs, but concerned about him batting at 3. Wouldn't it have been wiser to try Bavuma at 3 first and Stubbs at 4? Brand not being in the squad at all is definitely a surprise

StephenZA

Is Jansen really rested or is Shukri starting to look elsewhere? Maybe the "rested" line is in case Mulder doesn't perform. Really hope this is not the case, but why only Jansen? Rabada, Markram and Maharaj have all had the same schedule as Jansen more or less. The statement just doesn't seem right.
Immensely suprised with the Piedt decision, all I can think is that it's based on the NZ tour performance.
Nortjie, says that he will return to test cricket to end of the year, but let's see.
Glad about the faith in Stubbs, but concerned about him batting at 3. Wouldn't it have been wiser to try Bavuma at 3 first and Stubbs at 4? Brand not being in the squad at all is definitely a surprise
I think Jansen is a rest thing, he played in a few games that the others did not. I also suspect they asking him to work on some of his bowling issues and inconsistency. They not going to drop the primary three experienced players in Rabada, Markram and Maharaj for the test series. Could see them getting a rest for the LO.

I`m fine with Stubbs batting 3 as long as he gets at least a continuous 8-10 Test run there. Either back him or don't. Nothing wishy-washy.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
We've never had a phenomenon like Marco Jansen, a generational talent. I do feel he's gone off the boil a bit mentally, so a break away from the game wouldn't be a bad thing ..He's still a young man so wise not to burn him out, don't think it had anything to do with Mulder whose supposed to be a batting all rounder at Test level.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
We've never had a phenomenon like Marco Jansen, a generational talent. I do feel he's gone off the boil a bit mentally, so a break away from the game wouldn't be a bad thing ..He's still a young man so wise not to burn him out, don't think it had anything to do with Mulder whose supposed to be a batting all rounder at Test level.
On raw talent Jansen has to be one of the best bowlers, like ever, right? 145, left arm, nearly 7 feet tall with a high release point. Can swing it miles. You give him fergurson/Woods pace and he's the perfect package.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
I fully agree. But do feel test level is where he can really shine. Wished they rather rested him for the shorter formats.
Hoping that they are just working on technique and he is a fixture in the test team in future again