• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Jim Laker

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i'm just here for the hyperbole. my favourite so far being a man who took 15 wickets in australia at 21, albeit at a slower than usual SR having his performances described as 'the definition of mediocre'.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
i'm just here for the hyperbole. my favourite so far being a man who took 15 wickets in australia at 21, albeit at a slower than usual SR having his performances described as 'the definition of mediocre'.
If you want to give him points for that Australia tour, then Jadeja also has the same numbers there......

subshakerz

International Coach
Not totally untrue, and wasn't like Laker did much more. He was the definition of mediocre in Australia and the series he played, Benaud took 27 scalps. He was woefully outplayed. You can say he and Jadeja are equal in Australia.
Again, Laker was goodish at worse.

subshakerz

International Coach
Laker was JUST goodish.
Goodish is better than poor last I checked.

Herath is a much bigger proven failure. Jadeja has the exact same stats as Laker in Australia with the ball and great numbers in NZ as well. Then how did you vote for Herath??
Similar reason. I had no reason to believe Jadeja was capable of running through a side to potentially win a game outside SENA.

Jadeja in NZ? 5 wickets@60.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Goodish is better than poor last I checked.

Similar reason. I had no reason to believe Jadeja was capable of running through a side to potentially win a game outside SENA.
Neither did Laker ever do that. Anywhere outside England. How come he gets a pass in Australia and Jadeja doesn't??

Xix2565

International Regular
No it's just requires looking at how Ashwin did outside SC and lol teams like WI.
Again, debating in bad faith is not good. You don't enjoy it when people lolsamplesize other players over Imran's efforts, why are you backwards here now? Is there a proper standard or are you also just as backwards as the people you criticize who pull down your favourite players?

Xix2565

International Regular
And tbf, Jadeja nearly did that at Sydney 2021, just that Australia decided to break his thumb before he finished the job.

subshakerz

International Coach
Again, debating in bad faith is not good. You don't enjoy it when people lolsamplesize other players over Imran's efforts, why are you backwards here now? Is there a proper standard or are you also just as backwards as the people you criticize who pull down your favourite players?
I have explained. Laker was a premodern era cricketer. If I used regular sample sizes I wouldn't even consider him on career length.

Xix2565

International Regular
I have explained. Laker was a premodern era cricketer. If I used regular sample sizes I wouldn't even consider him on career length.
Being premodern isn't a reason to behave like this. In fact it should be even more reason to not rate Laker as highly, for playing in a worse era with less challenging scenarios to face and still not being better than Ashwin.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
He missed more matches than he played. Have nothing to do with being premodern Or not. His sample size in Australia is below the mark.

subshakerz

International Coach
Being premodern isn't a reason to behave like this. In fact it should be even more reason to not rate Laker as highly, for playing in a worse era with less challenging scenarios to face and still not being better than Ashwin.
Normally you are right except Ashwin has built his failed record in SENA over something like 10-11 tours. That's not excusable.