• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

capt_Luffy

International Captain
A slow XI

Mitchell
Boycott
Dravid
Kallis
Barrington
Border*
Knott+
Walker
Mahmood
McKenzie
Gibbs

Kallis is both the batting aggressor and the bowling aggressor. I could make it slower obviously but I wanted it at decent quality.
Trevor Goddard definitely makes it. Dude was an extra slow batsman and extremely defensive bowler. And aren't there any slower scoring keepers than Knott??

Coronis

International Coach
Trevor Goddard definitely makes it. Dude was an extra slow batsman and extremely defensive bowler. And aren't there any slower scoring keepers than Knott??
Again, I still wanted great-good players. Kallis’ scoring rate is criticised as is his bowling, so I used that as a baseline. Knott’s obviously an excellent keeper and had a SR of 45, so he fit the criteria perfectly. Goddard was a very slow guy but yeah not quite there.

howitzer

State Captain
A slow XI

Mitchell
Boycott
Dravid
Kallis
Barrington
Border*
Knott+
Walker
Mahmood
McKenzie
Gibbs

Kallis is both the batting aggressor and the bowling aggressor. I could make it slower obviously but I wanted it at decent quality.
Actually McKenzie is the particularly out of place player in this side. An economy rate of around 2.5 an over is pretty balanced for the era he played.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Again, I still wanted great-good players. Kallis’ scoring rate is criticised as is his bowling, so I used that as a baseline. Knott’s obviously an excellent keeper and had a SR of 45, so he fit the criteria perfectly. Goddard was a very slow guy but yeah not quite there.
Goddard is arguably a better bowler than Walker to begin with..... Imo, should be ahead of him. And like, if 45 is baseline then 3 of the 4 Great openers also qualify.

ataraxia

International Coach
Goddard's better than all the side except the middle order.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Watling

Quality keeper, gun bat, S/R of 42.6

subshakerz

International Coach
Please stop. It was a number out of my ass mid conversation. But knowing you, it'll be quoted till the end of time.

Honestly don't think I care enough about this one to argue it or be challenged.

Don't think it's that impactful, at least not for good teams, and even worse, it's impossible to identify success, being incredibly subjective.
This is an odd take by you really on something so fundamental.

kyear2

International Coach
This is an odd take by you really on something so fundamental.
I don't think it's fundamental. Viv nor Ponting were "great captains", and no one can tell me what defines one either.

It's ridiculously subjective. I understand why this is important to you, but it doesn't move the needle for me.

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think it's fundamental. Viv nor Ponting were "great captains", and no one can tell me what defines one either.

It's ridiculously subjective. I understand why this is important to you, but it doesn't move the needle for me.
Don't know why you keep bringing Ponting when we've mentioned that the greater the team and weaker the opp, the less captaincy matters.

Your unwillingness to talk about it is odd. But you do you.

kyear2

International Coach
Don't know why you keep bringing Ponting when we've mentioned that the greater the team and weaker the opp, the less captaincy matters.

Your unwillingness to talk about it is odd. But you do you.
It's one thing I've paid very little attention to, and know precious little about.

I don't know what makes a great captain, nor quite frankly does anyone else, how effectiveness is measured , or how much impact it even has.

Coronis

International Coach
Watling is a good shout. Goodard and Walker are arguable as bowlers, but yeah Goddard was an opener and the openers slots are already taken.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watling is a good shout. Goodard and Walker are arguable as bowlers, but yeah Goddard was an opener and the openers slots are already taken.
Goddard is probably the most defensive gun player even tbf. Even if he's out of position he should probably be included.

Goddard bowling to Goddard would be such a fun stalemate.