• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard Bland’s retirement will be a bit more comfortable than he thought a few years ago

I wonder whether he’ll get an invitation to the British Seniors

Will be farcical if they maintain his ban

Molehill

International Captain
Richard Bland’s retirement will be a bit more comfortable than he thought a few years ago

I wonder whether he’ll get an invitation to the British Seniors

Will be farcical if they maintain his ban
Why is he going to retire? He's only just started on his Seniors career, and unsurprisingly, he's too good for them (although someone like Westwood should be better but he's lost the will for competition it seems).

Molehill

International Captain
Interesting to see Rose and Ancer qualify for the Open yesterday, but Garcia missed out. He also got himself a slow play warning along the way too.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting to see Rose and Ancer qualify for the Open yesterday, but Garcia missed out. He also got himself a slow play warning along the way too.
Neither the slow play nor the missed qualification was his fault though…inconsiderate fans and biased R&A officials scuttled his hopes, poor guy!

social

Neither the slow play nor the missed qualification was his fault though…inconsiderate fans and biased R&A officials scuttled his hopes, poor guy!
Other pros complained about the same thing but Garcia has the highest profile so made the headlines

Molehill

International Captain
He made the headlines because he is a serial whiner.
I used to love the fella, was a great Ryder Cupper, he stood up to Tiger when no one else would and all but cheered him on to beat Rose in the Masters. But the last few years have almost been the perfect demonstration of how to totally ruin your reputation. He already cut a pretty unhappy figure when he went to LIV, but it certainly hasn't changed him for the better.....he just seems even more bitter about life now.

social

I used to love the fella, was a great Ryder Cupper, he stood up to Tiger when no one else would and all but cheered him on to beat Rose in the Masters. But the last few years have almost been the perfect demonstration of how to totally ruin your reputation. He already cut a pretty unhappy figure when he went to LIV, but it certainly hasn't changed him for the better.....he just seems even more bitter about life now.
Nah

He went off the deep end when banned from the European Tour but has been normal for a while now

Sergio was one of a number who complained about conditions at the qualifying event but they focused upon him because of his profile

Molehill

International Captain
Nah

He went off the deep end when banned from the European Tour but has been normal for a while now

Sergio was one of a number who complained about conditions at the qualifying event but they focused upon him because of his profile
He was going off the deep end a long time before he joined LIV. Smashing clubs in bunkers etc and generally being a whiny ****.

How many of them got slow play warnings other than him?

As an aside on slow play, how long before someone calls out Tom Kim? He definitely seems one of the worst I've seen for a while, stands over the ball for seemingly ages.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hated him because of the same Ryder Cup exploits...:D
But he has always been a whiny (and racist) little ****. I was definitely on Rose's side in one of the more forgettable Masters in the past decade...

Molehill

International Captain
Hated him because of the same Ryder Cup exploits...:D
But he has always been a whiny (and racist) little ****. I was definitely on Rose's side in one of the more forgettable Masters in the past decade...
Thought it was one of the more memorable. Most of them have been straightforward cruises to victory on the Sunday back 9. I'd stick this with Willett and Woods for 3 of the better ones from the last decade.

Spieth, Scheffler (x2), DJ were not close affairs. Rahm's became a procession as Koepka fell away and even Hideki only really made his interesting by getting unnecessarily aggressive on 15. I'd sooner forget 2018 even happened....

social

"LIV regulars"
Still contracted and, as mentioned, Weisberger has been banned from other co-sanctioned events for which he qualified this year

edit: Weisberger is banned from the Isco tournament THIS WEEKEND but allowed to play in Scottish Open

PGAT obviously doesn’t want him to play in US but doesn’t care about Europe

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was one of the more memorable. Most of them have been straightforward cruises to victory on the Sunday back 9. I'd stick this with Willett and Woods for 3 of the better ones from the last decade.

Spieth, Scheffler (x2), DJ were not close affairs. Rahm's became a procession as Koepka fell away and even Hideki only really made his interesting by getting unnecessarily aggressive on 15. I'd sooner forget 2018 even happened....
I like dominant performances especially when it's from players I like... :)
Willett's winning effort was so random, and I understand why it's memorable for you but for me, that year will be more about Spieth's implosion on the 12th than anything else.
From what I remember, the Rose vs Garcia matchup was about who would suck a little less around and on the greens that Sunday and in the playoff than about any extraordinary performance from either.

Molehill

International Captain
I like dominant performances especially when it's from players I like... :)
Willett's winning effort was so random, and I understand why it's memorable for you but for me, that year will be more about Spieth's implosion on the 12th than anything else.
From what I remember, the Rose vs Garcia matchup was about who would suck a little less around and on the greens that Sunday and in the playoff than about any extraordinary performance from either.
But Spieth's implosion is what made that year memorable. It wasn't so much about Willett (he's actually a pretty annoying guy), but no one forgets the story. I can't really remember anything special about Scheffler's strolls to victory.

As for Garcia/Rose, it was a great duel. Garcia making an improbable par on 13, knocking it stone dead on 14, hitting the pin on 15, them both sticking it to 6 feet or less on 16, and the final putts for victory on 18 that didn't happen. They played some great golf on that back 9 and Garcia birdied the play off to win it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
As for Garcia/Rose, it was a great duel. Garcia making an improbable par on 13, knocking it stone dead on 14, hitting the pin on 15, them both sticking it to 6 feet or less on 16, and the final putts for victory on 18 that didn't happen. They played some great golf on that back 9 and Garcia birdied the play off to win it.
I guess my dislike of Garcia soured that Sunday for me...:)