• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Honestly not really. Truly not been interested. And it doesn't mean anything to me personally, SA winning a T20 WC. However if it shuts people up about all the choking crap etc then I'm all for it.
Cricket can only survive in this country if we have a strong FC and test team , the rest is just gimmicks to pass the time.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
I just hope that this wasn't our best performance. Hoping there is more in the tank for the final.
I realize to some people it might not mean much. But as someone that's followed the Proteas through highs and lows, all those semi disappointments etc. Having live and breathed cricket since the age of 5. It sure does feel nice finally.
Our Test team is being restructured and I'm certain that in the next few years, we will see a big change there as well.
Plus, with the state of the ODI game at the moment, are we really going to say this means that little? On top of that, for young aspiring cricketers, winning some form of international tournament will prove SA can do it and have a positive effect. I really don't think we should make as little of it as some people are.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a lover of cricket, watching it since I was 6, and also having been through all the highs and lows of all those tournaments. I can just not get behind T20. It holds little to no interest for me. Everything I love about cricket is removed in the T20 game. And that is just unfortunately how I feel about it.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
As a lover of cricket, watching it since I was 6, and also having been through all the highs and lows of all those tournaments. I can just not get behind T20. It holds little to no interest for me. Everything I love about cricket is removed in the T20 game. And that is just unfortunately how I feel about it.
Fully understand. Unfortunately the game is moving that direction more and more by the year, whether we like it or not.

Test cricket will always be the pinnacle for sure. But if we as cricket lovers have a chance to expose the game on a global level, surely we can't turn our back on that either? Especially if it serves as a means of introduction to a wider audience. Instead of it remaining a sport for a limited few countries

Bahseph

International Debutant
I enjoy different aspects of all three formats although I must admit that T20 is the format I am least fond of.

I am still hoping for the boys to pull through because we have seen some steel from them this tournament. I've been very impressed with how different players have stood up at different times so far. It hasn't been a one man show,and I think that's helped.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I must say I never got Tristan Stubbs before this WC but even though he hasn't got a big score I can see why there is faith in him across formats.

StephenZA

Fully understand. Unfortunately the game is moving that direction more and more by the year, whether we like it or not.

Test cricket will always be the pinnacle for sure. But if we as cricket lovers have a chance to expose the game on a global level, surely we can't turn our back on that either? Especially if it serves as a means of introduction to a wider audience. Instead of it remaining a sport for a limited few countries
I don't deny the direction it is moving in, and yes the exposure of cricket is good. But is T20 exposing people to cricket or a short attention span, poor facsimile version of the game?! ODI cricket came out of Test cricket and developed into its own form of the game. T20 was developed purely for commercial reasons; for me T20 took the best parts of cricket out of the game and and then tries to convince us that it is cricket. I understand why it happened, I understand it is a commercial success, and how it brings monies in for players that previously struggled to make a professional living from the game. But in no way do I consider it a form of cricket, at least not one that has any of the elements I love about the game of cricket.

Bahseph

International Debutant
So who are we expecting to be on the plane to the Windies?

1. Markram
2. Brand
3. De Zorzi
4. Bavuma
5. Bedingham
6. Verreynne
7. Jansen
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada
Then two of Ngidi,Burger and Harmer for the last two spots.

That leaves Rickelton probably going. Who would he the other 2 or 3 players going? Petersen or Stubbs? Could Muthusamy or Mulder sneak in?

Edit:

de Swardt I feel showed something in NZ. Jansen shouldn't be at 7 and Mulder hasn't produced anything even though he has the most potential from all the ARs we have.

StephenZA

Rickelton still seems out of favour. Still unsure why. Stubbs will go. I will be surprised if they discard Petersen altogether. I would like Mulder to go, but probably won't.

Definitely feels like a representation issue that could come back to bite soon.

StephenZA

I must say I had him pidgeon holed as a lower order hitter but he has a lot more about him. Didn't seem over rawed in that final walking in at 2 for nothing.
I was similar but there is something about him. And the coaching staff definitely seem to be giving him plenty of opportunity.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I was similar but there is something about him. And the coaching staff definitely seem to be giving him plenty of opportunity.
I guess you have to have something about you to score a FC 300. I'm quietly confident about Rickelton moving forward. He has to take the gloves in the ODIs and bat at the top. Just don't know who he replaces in the Test Team. Perhaps him over Brand? But Shukri is a Brand fan so that's not happening. Verreynne needs to score more runs so there is a spot there.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Definitely feels like a representation issue that could come back to bite soon.
It's starting to become a problem. Despite there being no hard quotas and it being measured over an entire seasons across all formats, we just don't have the players to make up the numbers.

What really needs to happen is for someone to stand up and say that the transformation policies haven't worked and it's necessary to go back to the drawing board and fix it from the ground level. Get that right and the national team will take care of itself naturally. Implementing a top down approach by insisting on specific criteria benefits nobody.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
So who are we expecting to be on the plane to the Windies?

1. Markram
2. Brand
3. De Zorzi
4. Bavuma
5. Bedingham
6. Verreynne
7. Jansen
8. Maharaj
9. Rabada
Then two of Ngidi,Burger and Harmer for the last two spots.

That leaves Rickelton probably going. Who would he the other 2 or 3 players going? Petersen or Stubbs? Could Muthusamy or Mulder sneak in?

Edit:

de Swardt I feel showed something in NZ. Jansen shouldn't be at 7 and Mulder hasn't produced anything even though he has the most potential from all the ARs we have.
1.Brand
2.Markram
3.De Zorzi
4.Bedingham
5.Bavuma
6.Stubbs
7.Verreynne (WK)
8.Jansen
9.Maharaj
10.Rabada
11.Ngidi

Stefan9

International Debutant
It's starting to become a problem. Despite there being no hard quotas and it being measured over an entire seasons across all formats, we just don't have the players to make up the numbers.

What really needs to happen is for someone to stand up and say that the transformation policies haven't worked and it's necessary to go back to the drawing board and fix it from the ground level. Get that right and the national team will take care of itself naturally. Implementing a top down approach by insisting on specific criteria benefits nobody.
Well Enoch and Rob did for the world cup. We are going to run into issues with Gayton now the sports minister.

Heboric

International Debutant
We are going to run into issues with Gayton now the sports minister.
Very true, I only found out this morning it was him and I just groaned. No proper grassroots development and quite frankly lazy government is going to bite us in the backside. I am a firm believer of greater the playing pool the greater the chance of finding a gem so to speak.

Plus I think Stubbs is more than a basher

Last edited:

StephenZA

Well Enoch and Rob did for the world cup. We are going to run into issues with Gayton now the sports minister.
He is going to use it to make a splash and lots of noise. But I think it will bite him in the ass. Fundamentally nothing is likely to change.