• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The FINAL- South Africa vs India (D), Kensington Oval, Barbados-- June 29th

Heboric

International Debutant
What is the weather forecast for Saturday ?
I have been reading some alarming things. Although it was on a site which could be described as an Indian tabloid... :ph34r:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
"The T20 World Cup is on course to overtake the 50-over World Cup as the "most important" ICC event to players around the world according to new survey data seen by ESPNcricinfo.

The newly-rebranded World Cricketers Association (WCA), formerly FICA, conducts regular surveys which are circulated to several hundred players around the world. In the past five years, there has been a sharp increase in the proportion who consider the T20 World Cup to be the most important ICC event, especially among young players.

In 2019, 85% of respondents ranked the 50-over World Cup as the most important ICC event, compared to 15% who chose the T20 World Cup. In 2024, only 50% chose the 50-over World Cup, compared to 35% who said the T20 World Cup and a further 15% who picked the World Test Championship."

:-O

Arachnodouche

International Captain
"The T20 World Cup is on course to overtake the 50-over World Cup as the "most important" ICC event to players around the world according to new survey data seen by ESPNcricinfo."

"The newly-rebranded World Cricketers Association (WCA), formerly FICA, conducts regular surveys which are circulated to several hundred players around the world.

In the past five years, there has been a sharp increase in the proportion who consider the T20 World Cup to be the most important ICC event, especially among young players."

"In 2019, 85% of respondents ranked the 50-over World Cup as the most important ICC event, compared to 15% who chose the T20 World Cup. In 2024, only 50% chose the 50-over World Cup, compared to 35% who said the T20 World Cup and a further 15% who picked the World Test Championship."

I'm sure players from Associate nations realize that World T20 is the only high-profile cricket they'll realistically get to play and be good at, so not surprising if they account for a good chunk of that vote.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Regular
"The T20 World Cup is on course to overtake the 50-over World Cup as the "most important" ICC event to players around the world according to new survey data seen by ESPNcricinfo.

The newly-rebranded World Cricketers Association (WCA), formerly FICA, conducts regular surveys which are circulated to several hundred players around the world. In the past five years, there has been a sharp increase in the proportion who consider the T20 World Cup to be the most important ICC event, especially among young players.

In 2019, 85% of respondents ranked the 50-over World Cup as the most important ICC event, compared to 15% who chose the T20 World Cup. In 2024, only 50% chose the 50-over World Cup, compared to 35% who said the T20 World Cup and a further 15% who picked the World Test Championship."

Players will go where the money is.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it does!!

So what you're saying is that your opinion holds more sway than those actually willing to put money behind their assertions.

England are the favourites for the Euros in England, and they're not even the biggest liabilities the bookmakers have. They are one of the Top 4 teams in Europe and have the easiest draw through. Yeah, they're playing crap, but only a very brave (and probably soon to be bankrupt if that's how he works) bookie would risk putting them out to where their actual form so far would suggest they should be.
You are wrong m8.

Betting doesn't necessarily reflect who is "actually" the best or most likely to win. Betting is betting. People bet on their cherished national team more often than not. And English odds in football are always shorter (i have followed their odds since 2006) and likewise for India in cricket. Indians love cricket and a lot of money is placed on them.

It was the same in 2021 T20 WC and 2022 T20 WC. But India were not even that great back then, yet India were favourites for both tournaments based on the 'odds'.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure players from Associate nations realize that World T20 is the only high-profile cricket they'll realistically get to play and be good at, so not surprising if they account for a good chunk of that vote.
Good point. Though it's a radical shift from

85-15 split in 2019 to
50-35 split in 2024

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
You are wrong m8.

Betting doesn't necessarily reflect who is "actually" the best or most likely to win. Betting is betting. People bet on their cherished national team more often than not. And English odds in football are always shorter (i have followed their odds since 2006) and likewise for India in cricket. Indians love cricket and a lot of money is placed on them.

It was the same in 2021 T20 WC and 2022 T20 WC. But India were not even that great back then, yet India were favourites for both tournaments based on the 'odds'.
I totally agree with you apart from the very last bit. The team with the shortest odds is the favourite, that is an indisputable fact. How you get there is questionable (ie backing your National side out of sheer patriotism), but the term favourite is applied to that fact, not someone else's opinion.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
In all honesty, I don't see SA handling Kuldeep and Axar very well, not to mention the perennial threat from Bumrah. From their perspective, it absolutely has to be a sub-150 game chasing and even that will probably become attritional.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Seeing grown-ass former cricketers, Sewhag, Wasim Jaffer, Vaughn, Harbhajan, etc. acting like immature kids on the Xitter is really depressing and makes me lose respect for them even more...
Wasim Jaffer’s still fine. Sehwag speaks like an entitled idiot. Vaughn is a duffer. And whoever expected intelligence or even common sense from Bhajji is himself devoid of sense

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim Jaffer’s still fine. Sehwag speaks like an entitled idiot. Vaughn is a duffer. And whoever expected intelligence or even common sense from Bhajji is himself devoid of sense
Jaffer and Vaughn going back and forth with their eDgy takes, cringe af. I know why the latter is doing it: engagement with the mass audience of Indians. Jaffer thinks he's the guy with the moral high ground, but he drops in **** pit. No grace.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Jaffer and Vaughn going back and forth with their eDgy takes, cringe af. I know why the latter is doing it: engagement with the mass audience of Indians. Jaffer thinks he's the guy with the moral high ground, but he drops in **** pit. No grace.
I think not many people can maintain sanity on social media. The constant urge to look cool and intelligent takes a toll .