• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 100 Greatest Cricketers Poll

Qlder

International Debutant
Points untill now:-
Don Bradman=196
Garry Sobers=170
Imran Khan=115
WG Grace=93
Sachin Tendulkar=76
Richard Hadlee=69
Jack Hobbs=67
Malcolm Marshall=58
Viv Richards=47
Glenn McGrath=37

Muttiah Muralitharan=31
Adam Gilchrist=29
Jacques Kallis=22
Shane Warne=20
Keith Miller=18
Wally Hammond=13

Didn't include players with single digit points (such as Brian Lara=9)
Isn't it bad form to count the votes before the selection is complete? I've already voted but if I came on just now and saw the current vote tally it may influence my vote (or gives people the knowledge to do best strategic votes). Just wondering.

sayon basak

State Regular
A valid problem. But I think here it should also be noted that I feel this methodology is among the more balanced ones. It would had taken way too long to rank every player one by one and ofcourse all the 10 players ranked aren't equal and the rankings are very important. Anyways, if two players have equal points, the one with more votes gets ahead.
Okay that sounds better than mine

sayon basak

State Regular
I've already voted but if I came on just now and saw the current vote tally it may influence my vote (or gives people the knowledge to do best strategic votes)
Don't think this would influence strategic voters. If I like Washington Sundar and think he should be in the top 10, I'll put him in 1 without knowing the results.
Honesty is the goodest policy.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Okay that sounds better than mine
I think rogue votes can be problematic with both methods really. Like here two or three meme votes can get a mediocre player in, but similarly by your methodology, suppose player A gets consistently ranked No 1 by almost everyone and B 2nd; with a clear hierarchy. In this instance, if a voter votes for B as 1 and doesn't votes for A at all, B might get ahead. That's the problem with alloting so many points to each vote. For now, as I have already declared the vote point system, I will stick with it unless some major problem arises. Tar por dekha jak na ki hoi....

sayon basak

State Regular
I think rogue votes can be problematic with both methods really. Like here two or three meme votes can get a mediocre player in, but similarly by your methodology, suppose player A gets consistently ranked No 1 by almost everyone and B 2nd; with a clear hierarchy. In this instance, if a voter votes for B as 1 and doesn't votes for A at all, B might get ahead. That's the problem with alloting so many points to each vote. For now, as I have already declared the vote point system, I will stick with it unless some major problem arises. Tar por dekha jak na ki hoi....
Will you count the comedy votes? And are there any logical way to definitively determine which is a meme vote or which is not? One can seriously think Nasir Hossain is a top 10 player.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Will you count the comedy votes? And are there any logical way to definitively determine which is a meme vote or which is not? One can seriously think Nasir Hossain is a top 10 player.
By principle, I will count them UNLESS the voter gives me permission not to. Like if someone votes for meme now, I will count them if they are not getting a rank anyways. In case they do, I might personally request the voters to forfeit their vote on them and I believe most will do. I have a feeling problem will arise with Jadeja who actually has a claim to be here and is CW's one of favourite meme...... Again, when people start voting for someone like that, I will try to talk with the voters if they are making the cut, or else no. And if someone refuses, then it's just democracy, can't do anything.

Qlder

International Debutant
Don't think this would influence strategic voters. If I like Washington Sundar and think he should be in the top 10, I'll put him in 1 without knowing the results.
Honesty is the goodest policy.
Just like we've already had someone put Woakes as #1 😀

I was thinking more like Gilchrist is in my top 10 and I see by your vote tally he's outside the top 10, so I place him 2nd to Bradman and that gives enough to bump him to 10th

capt_Luffy

International Captain

I was thinking more like Gilchrist is in my top 10 and I see by your vote tally he's outside the top 10, so I place him 2nd to Bradman and that gives enough to bump him to 10th
I would really like if voters don't do that, but if they do, there's nothing really to prevent that. Like, the way Sayon tallied the points, if someone wants to rigg the vote in a similar manner, they could had calculated that as well. While the points tally being readily available can be considered more tempting, it's nevertheless won't detract riggers as the the votes are public.

sayon basak

State Regular

That's why I proposed the G=nA/P formula. But I don't think it's necessary anymore as capt_Luffy said no. Of appearance will be considered.

sayon basak

State Regular
I would really like if voters don't do that, but if they do, there's nothing really to prevent that. Like, the way Sayon tallied the points, if someone wants to rigg the vote in a similar manner, they could had calculated that as well. While the points tally being readily available can be considered more tempting, it's nevertheless won't detract riggers as the the votes are public.
Yes no formula is immune to corruption. Only corruption can bring the game of cricket down.

kyear2

International Coach
After degrading every allrounders every second day here. You have managed to have Sobers above Bradman. I have no words for your greatness man. 😉
There are some here who have listed a parade of all rounders regardless of primary skill.

I rate them in two main ways, judging first and foremost by primary skill, and how they contribute to a team.

Sobers is arguably 2nd best batsman ever, at times opened the bowling for his team and fielded at 2nd slip for the pacers and short leg or leg slip for Gibbs. He was always be the most important player on what ever team he's on, even an ATG one.

He could have finished anywhere from 1st to 3rd in my rating and yes, that how highly I rate Marshall and those 3 are without doubt the top 3 greatest in the history of the game.

Everyone is free to disagree

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don Bradman=196
Garry Sobers=170
Imran Khan=115
WG Grace=93
Sachin Tendulkar=76
Richard Hadlee=69
Jack Hobbs=67
Malcolm Marshall=58
Viv Richards=47
Glenn McGrath=37

Muttiah Muralitharan=31
Adam Gilchrist=29
Jacques Kallis=22
Shane Warne=20
Keith Miller=18
Wally Hammond=13

A vote calculation like this is always going to be a little flawed. I'd have voted Bradman as 1st, 2nd and 3rd to show the gap I think is between him and sobers but I don't think I'm allowed to do that.

It'd actually be funny if someone left off Bradman entirely from the list to get sobers to 1. It's kinda the same thing that happened with an old poll smali ran on here where sobers won despite like 90% of people having Bradman at 1.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Don Bradman=196
Garry Sobers=170
Imran Khan=115
WG Grace=93
Sachin Tendulkar=76
Richard Hadlee=69
Jack Hobbs=67
Malcolm Marshall=58
Viv Richards=47
Glenn McGrath=37

Muttiah Muralitharan=31
Adam Gilchrist=29
Jacques Kallis=22
Shane Warne=20
Keith Miller=18
Wally Hammond=13

Hasn't Woakes got double-digit points (10) though? @Red_Ink_Squid

capt_Luffy

International Captain
A vote calculation like this is always going to be a little flawed. I'd have voted Bradman as 1st, 2nd and 3rd to show the gap I think is between him and sobers but I don't think I'm allowed to do that.

It'd actually be funny if someone left off Bradman entirely from the list to get sobers to 1. It's kinda the same thing that happened with an old poll smali ran on here where sobers won despite like 90% of people having Bradman at 1.
I get the sentiment, but believe that by the difference in point between them; it will take atleast 3 voters not voting for Don at all to let Sobers be no 1; as there are over 20 voters who ranked Don higher and some ranked Grace ahead also.
I think such a problem might arise when the no of voters will reduce and the players became closer.