• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Brook's side

International Regular
Trying to identify what happened to various members of England's 2023 WC squad compared to current squad. I've got as far as follows:
Marler - picked
Rodd - picked
Sinckler - dropped?
Stuart -picked
Genge - injured?
Cole - picked
George -picked
Dan -picked
Walker - not needed?
Itoje - picked
Chessum - injured?
Ribbans - France

Martin - picked
Earl - picked
TCurry- picked
Lawes - Sadly retired
JWillis - dropped?
Ludlam - dropped?
BVunipola - retired?
VanPoortvliet - dropped?
Care - retired?
Youngs - retired?
Farrell - retired?
Ford - dropped?

Smith - picked
Manu - retired?
Marchant - dropped?

Lawrence - picked
Daly - dropped?
Malins - dropped?
Arundell - dropped?

Steward - picked
Watson - retired?

Molehill

International Captain
Trying to identify what happened to various members of England's 2023 WC squad compared to current squad. I've got as far as follows:
Marler - picked
Rodd - picked
Sinckler - dropped?
Stuart -picked
Genge - injured?
Cole - picked
George -picked
Dan -picked
Walker - not needed?
Itoje - picked
Chessum - injured?
Ribbans - France

Martin - picked
Earl - picked
TCurry- picked
Lawes - Sadly retired
JWillis - dropped?
Ludlam - dropped?
BVunipola - retired?
VanPoortvliet - dropped?
Care - retired?
Youngs - retired?
Farrell - retired?
Ford - dropped?

Smith - picked
Manu - retired?
Marchant - dropped?

Lawrence - picked
Daly - dropped?
Malins - dropped?
Arundell - dropped?

Steward - picked
Watson - retired?
Willis, Marchant and Arundell are all in the France gang so not eligible. Ford is injured, Van Portvliet is returning from injury so I don't think was risked for the Tour.

Heboric

International Debutant
Always snigger when something like this happens, I know they will probably have to prepare things in advance but still

I am sure England did something similar by making themselves grandslam champions before they actually managed to do it, printed a t-shirt to celebrate (this case they actually didnt win the grandslam :laugh: )

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a self-imposed wound though, tbf.

RA just needs to get real and select the best Australian-qualified players regardless of where they play their club rugby.

Saffers do and it hasn't done the Boks any harm, has it? Fair to guess union's a far bigger deal in the Republic than Oz too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

RA just needs to get real and select the best Australian-qualified players regardless of where they play their club rugby.

Saffers do and it hasn't done the Boks any harm, has it? Fair to guess union's a far bigger deal in the Republic than Oz too.
Agreed

RA is skint so can’t compete financially

Relying solely upon Australian based players is doomed for failure

social

Ah, another good but not great player, but definitely a hit to the depth.
Hit to depth in a position where we have none as there’s something like 4-5 locks with international experience playing overseas now

Lucky we paid a league back millions

Molehill

International Captain

Saffers don't lose rugby players to as many other sports though. They can afford to send their best players to France/England/Ireland etc and still have loads left for a strong domestic competition (which helps bring through the future stars). It seems neither Australia or England can allow for this to happen.

social

Saffers don't lose rugby players to as many other sports though. They can afford to send their best players to France/England/Ireland etc and still have loads left for a strong domestic competition (which helps bring through the future stars). It seems neither Australia or England can allow for this to happen.
RA is bust so doesn’t have much choice

Rumour has it that they have allowed one of our promising young backs to play 7s at the Olympics as a good result guarantees government funding for the program

Molehill

International Captain
RA is bust so doesn’t have much choice

Rumour has it that they have allowed one of our promising young backs to play 7s at the Olympics as a good result guarantees government funding for the program
In contrast, the RFU isn't remotely bust, but the clubs can't afford/aren't allowed to pay big salaries. I also think it's daft that English players in France can't play for their country.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well that was pretty one sided, well done the Blues. Immense given the conditions.
Will be so interesting who the starting first five for the ABs will be. No clear frontrunner, and McKenzie certainly hurt his chances tonight.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might be my Blues bias, but how inspirational a leader is Tuipulotu? Could do much worse as far as potential AB captains go, IMO.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Might be my Blues bias, but how inspirational a leader is Tuipulotu? Could do much worse as far as potential AB captains go, IMO.
Definitely, agree. I think Scott Barrett seems to have the captaincy locked up though doesn't he? I'd be surprised if Razor went elsewhere.