• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
They’re playing in Houston this week
I see a number of them tried to qualify for the US Open yesterday, Niemann being the most notable to come up short (looks like only Burmester did qualify from those who tried). And would seem that Adam Scott lost in a play off to fellow Aussie Cam Davis too. Quite a few biggish names didn't make it.

Meanwhile, a lot of rumours doing the rounds about Rory and Balionis, both recently having applied for divorce. Got to say, I can't stand her and her horrific interview style.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see a number of them tried to qualify for the US Open yesterday, Niemann being the most notable to come up short (looks like only Burmester did qualify from those who tried). And would seem that Adam Scott lost in a play off to fellow Aussie Cam Davis too. Quite a few biggish names didn't make it.

Meanwhile, a lot of rumours doing the rounds about Rory and Balionis, both recently having applied for divorce. Got to say, I can't stand her and her horrific interview style.
US Open qualifiers seem like a real lottery with some pretty stacked fields on very easy courses

Meanwhile, Manassero (maybe 250 in the world) & Rock (retired) qualified for it in the UK

Something about Rory tells me that he wouldn’t be the easiest to live with. Seems like another Norman with an Irish accent

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
US Open qualifiers seem like a real lottery with some pretty stacked fields on very easy courses

Meanwhile, Manassero (maybe 250 in the world) & Rock (retired) qualified for it in the UK

Something about Rory tells me that he wouldn’t be the easiest to live with. Seems like another Norman with an Irish accent
Worth having a look at the US Open app and the qualifying results. There were just 9 spots up for grabs at Walton Heath, pretty impressive for Rock to grab one of those in a field as strong as any DPWT event.

10 different qualifying tournaments yesterday in the US, what is interesting is that some fields are clearly much stronger than others. I'm not sure why the LIV boys all seemed to descend on Florida, but none could beat Berger or Kuchar.

I think comparing Rory to Norman is a bit tough, one of them is at least well liked by his peers.

social

Worth having a look at the US Open app and the qualifying results. There were just 9 spots up for grabs at Walton Heath, pretty impressive for Rock to grab one of those in a field as strong as any DPWT event.

10 different qualifying tournaments yesterday in the US, what is interesting is that some fields are clearly much stronger than others. I'm not sure why the LIV boys all seemed to descend on Florida, but none could beat Berger or Kuchar.

I think comparing Rory to Norman is a bit tough, one of them is at least well liked by his peers.
Norman was universally loved at Rory’s age

Give it time

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Norman was universally loved at Rory’s age

Give it time
No he wasn’t. Well maybe in Australia but definitely not “universal”. Norman was, is and will always be a slimy prick.

Didn’t really like the way McIlroy treated Wozniacki (not clear what happened between him and Stoll) but I doubt If he’ll ever go down to Norman’s level.

social

No he wasn’t. Well maybe in Australia but definitely not “universal”. Norman was, is and will always be a slimy prick.

Didn’t really like the way McIlroy treated Wozniacki (not clear what happened between him and Stoll) but I doubt If he’ll ever go down to Norman’s level.
Of course he was

Can only assume you’re too young to remember how big a star Norman was

Even Faldo was well liked at one point

Hell, Tiger is still eulogised and he’s the biggest dickhead of them all

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Of course he was

Can only assume you’re too young to remember how big a star Norman was

Even Faldo was well liked at one point

Hell, Tiger is still eulogised and he’s the biggest dickhead of them all
Sure he was a big star but there is a big difference between being a star and being universally beloved. For instance, Novak Djokovic is a big star.

Woods is a dickhead and his carefully constructed public persona cracked into a million pieces back in 2009 but he is eulogized for being one of the two greatest golfers of all time and not for his personality. Norman is not even in the same stratosphere as a golfer and he is, as I stated above, first and foremost, a slimy prick.

social

Sure he was a big star but there is a big difference between being a star and being universally beloved. For instance, Novak Djokovic is a big star.

Woods is a dickhead and his carefully constructed public persona cracked into a million pieces back in 2009 but he is eulogized for being one of the two greatest golfers of all time and not for his personality. Norman is not even in the same stratosphere as a golfer and he is, as I stated above, first and foremost, a slimy prick.
Like many top sportsmen, Norman has a massive ego and money is allegedly now his primary motivation (can tell you for a fact that the latter is the reason for his fallout with some at PGA of Australia and with Jack Nicklaus)

However, he’s also been incredibly generous with his time and money supporting young players. Many players including Adam Scott love the guy (or at least did a couple of years ago)

I have dealt with him twice on golf course developments and it was all pretty straightforward

Prick yes, slimy no as he adhered to the deal and didn’t try to change things just to suit himself

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I see Rahm quit the LIV event with some kind of foot injury. He's having a shocker of a year. Meanwhile, he must be watching on with envy at the Memorial, a course he loves and would've won twice at but for Covid. Not exactly the ideal US Open prep.

Scottie back doing Scottie things, hard to see how he doesn't cruise to victory tonight. It seems he can now throw in triples and still be leading easily.

social

One of the biggest choke jobs ever seen by Soderberg on DPWT

Leading by 10 and lost and all his own fault

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the biggest choke jobs ever seen by Soderberg on DPWT

Leading by 10 and lost and all his own fault
That was painful to watch, horrific final putt. Grant was 11 back at the start and seemed genuinely a bit sad to have won.

Reminded me of Kaymer doing it and he has never been the same since.

grecian

That was painful to watch, horrific final putt. Grant was 11 back at the start and seemed genuinely a bit sad to have won.

Reminded me of Kaymer doing it and he has never been the same since.
Yeah I had given up on watching it, I mean horror choke but some achievement from Grant, her career never really kicked on that well from winning this before, partly because she seems not to have the killer instinct, she always looks incredibly good to me, and hey she shot a 65 today even on the shorterned tees that's pretty incredible, shame I didn't back her as I often do, but as I say her form hasn't been great.

social

Scheffler gets it done, again!
Wins and sets new season money record with 3 months to go

He must thank his lucky stars for LIV as he still wins when not playing particularly well which doesn’t say much for the depth of the PGAT

Last edited:

social

Still can’t get over that collapse by Soderberg

11 shot lead on final day & shoots the worst round of the day including missing 2 putts from less than 2 feet

Right up there with the biggest meltdowns in golf history

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Wins and sets new season money record with 3 months to go

He must thank his lucky stars for LIV as he still wins when not playing particularly well which doesn’t say much for the depth of the PGAT
Yeah absolutely! I mean, imagine having to play Talor Gooch week in, week out! Would have been demoralizing for anyone!