• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
More like Bradman's batting advantage (plus Gilly) allows for a somewhat lesser batter like Miller to be included and 5 bowling options.

I had this assumption earlier. But the others did make some good points that the whole penetration of innings may be slower in ATG XI settings. Also you could potentially allow for O'Reilly in if you have Miller as a third seamer.

Miller is the best 5th bowling option of any side
And by far the worse batsman.

subshakerz

International Coach
Being the better cricketer doesn't mean it's a good fit
Bro, I think the argument from our side is that Australia of all the teams has excessive batting resources to afford the best ever 5th bowler choice. Miller would weaken a normal lineup but not one with Bradman and Gilly.

Also, you have to admit, Lillee/McGrath/Miller/Warne/O'Reilly sound very tempting as an all-round attack that can win virtually everywhere.

Coronis

International Coach
Imran had a very short career, and his bowling was sub-par for his era. He was also a negative batsman, with a very low SR and high percentage of not outs.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket changed forever after that Iraq War and it's hard to take any performances before that seriously. If Imran was brought forward in a time machine he'd be a Ganguly-standard bowler.
So your telling me bush 9/11ing himself was all a cricket conspiracy?

ataraxia

International Coach
Cricket changed forever after that Iraq War and it's hard to take any performances before that seriously. If Imran was brought forward in a time machine he'd be a Ganguly-standard bowler.
He was a better batter than Ganguly anyway though so *shrugs*

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this stats true ?
Yes

David Willey has 100 ODI wickets, which is not 'more than' even though most people will actually take it as meaning '100 or more'. England's best in tests is Voce with 98.

Trevor Goddard took 123 test wickets but also bowled left arm spin, the next best in tests is Jansen on 49. Wayne Parnell is on 99 ODI wickets so it's not completely out of the question he'll make it.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The most wickets taken by an English left arm pacer is by Bill Voce, and he has 98 wickets. But then again, he got plenty of those wickets bowling Orthodox spin. The most by pure pacer is by John Lever with 73.
SA did had Goddard with 123 wickets, and given they only played for 30 years after readmission vs some 150 for England, I don't think they are in a similar case.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Was surprised that Sidebottom didn't play more tests. I thought he was genuinely good and much better than a number of bowlers who got far more opportunities. He was brilliant when England last won a series in NZ (2008).

If WW1 and a broken leg (from a motorbike accident) hadn't occurred, Frank Foster would've done it easily. He could've been an ATG - tragic story actually.