• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2024

Stefan9

International Debutant
Ehh, he's coming off a fantastic PSL but in the past 2 years (only 9 games tbf) he's averaged 20 for SA and struck at 118. Not really demanding a spot with those type of numbers.

SA's lineup for the WC off the top of my head (assuming they stick with the bowling allrounder at 7 model) is probably
1.Reeza
2.Quinny
4.Makram
5.Miller/Stubbs
6.Klassan
7.Jansen

The number 3 spot seems open, so maybe they play rassie, but they could also play brezkette or move the middle order up one spot to accomodate stubbs.
Markram will bat 3. Its his preferred spot in T20 cricket and he is captain.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Markram will bat 3. Its his preferred spot in T20 cricket and he is captain.
Ehh, he's played 6 games at 3 in t20I vs 21 games at 4 and has fantastic numbers at 4. Not saying that it's his prefered position, but I'de assume he slots in at 4 for SA. Finding a #3 to is easier than finding a #4 in t20.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I think that's bonkers. He's the best #3 in the world at the moment. T20 world cups are generally lower scoring too so guys like him are valuable.
In ODI cricket not T20 cricket.

Had a good SA20 too, didn't he? And a fantastic ODI WC too. I wouldn't put much stock in those 9 games at all. Think he should have that #3 spot locked down.
SA20 and psl was as a opener.

When selecting the squad you also look at what all players bring as a package. Unfortunately for rassie when one looks at those competing for batting spots he is the only one not offering anything besides batting. All of markram, Stubbs, reeza and Miller are gun fielders. While qdk, Klaassen, rickelton and breetzke all offer a viable keeping option.

Ehh, he's played 6 games at 3 in t20I vs 21 games at 4 and has fantastic numbers at 4. Not saying that it's his prefered position, but I'de assume he slots in at 4 for SA. Finding a #3 to is easier than finding a #4 in t20.
He played at 4 to accommodate Rossouw. RR's decline means that isn't required. The last T20 series he batted 3.

The team has Stubbs, Klaassen and Miller who can bat 4. Stubbs batted 4 with markram 3 for the eastern cape Sunrisers and they did it well. Stubbs has continued that form in the IPL at 4/5 for DC.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
What's CSK's greatest ever XI ?

Using 4 overseas player rule I'd go :

1.Michael Hussey
2.Ruturaj Gaikwad
3.Faf Du Plessis
4.Suresh Raina
5.MS Dhoni (WK) (C)
6.Dwayne Bravo
7.Ravindra Jadeja
8.Ravichandran Ashwin
9.Deepak Chahar
10.Doug Bollinger
11.Mohit Sharma

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
What's CSK's greatest ever XI ?

Using 4 overseas player rule I'd go :

1.Michael Hussey
2.Ruturaj Gaikwad
3.Faf Du Plessis
4.Suresh Raina
5.MS Dhoni (WK) (C)
6.Dwayne Bravo
7.Ravindra Jadeja
8.Ravichandran Ashwin
9.Deepak Chahar
10.Doug Bollinger
11.Mohit Sharma
Has Gaikwad done enough to surpass Murali Vijay?

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Has Gaikwad done enough to surpass Murali Vijay?
Yes I contemplated this but the rise of Gaikwad just cannot be ignored, what he has done in 4 years at CSK is remarkable, his impact has been so huge even the Indian national team had to pick him even though there are so many contenders for the opening slot.

The fact that they made him captain when Dhoni is still in the team shows the level of faith the Chennai stakeholders have..

Then you look at the numbers and there is very little to separate Vijay & Gaikwad in terms of runs output , despite the former being at CSK for over a decade ...

Murali Vijay (09-20)
89 innings - 2205 runs @25.94 , SR - 123.46

Ruturaj Gaikwad (20-24)
59 innings - 1952 runs @39.04 , SR- 133.88

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yes I contemplated this but the rise of Gaikwad just cannot be ignored, what he has done in 4 years at CSK is remarkable, his impact has been so huge even the Indian national team had to pick him even though there are so many contenders for the opening slot.

The fact that they made him captain when Dhoni is still in the team shows the level of faith the Chennai stakeholders have..

Then you look at the numbers and there is very little to separate Vijay & Gaikwad in terms of runs output , despite the former being at CSK for over a decade ...

Murali Vijay (09-20)
89 innings - 2205 runs @25.94 , SR - 123.46

Ruturaj Gaikwad (20-24)
59 innings - 1952 runs @39.04 , SR- 133.88
Only 250 runs less in 30 innings, at 14 runs and 10 sr higher.... It's looking tough to make a case for Vijay

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Mumbai Indians is kinda tough ..

Let me post:

1.Rohit Sharma (C)
2.Lendl Simmons
3.Ishan Kishan (WK)
4.Suryakumar Yadav
5.Keiron Pollard
6.Hardik Pandya
7.Krunal Pandya
8.Harbhajan Singh
9.Mitchell McClenaghan
10.Jaspirt Bumrah
11.Lasith Malinga

Himannv

International Coach
Mumbai Indians is kinda tough ..

Let me post:

1.Rohit Sharma (C)
2.Lendl Simmons
3.Ishan Kishan (WK)
4.Suryakumar Yadav
5.Keiron Pollard
6.Hardik Pandya
7.Krunal Pandya
8.Harbhajan Singh
9.Mitchell McClenaghan
10.Jaspirt Bumrah
11.Lasith Malinga
Sanath ahead of Simmons? I remember MI fans being quite taken with him.

EDIT: Also maybe Rayudu ahead of Kishan.

Last edited: