• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD it just makes the game a lottery. Only CA could set up the structure of their domestic FC competition to dissuade the development of competent batting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah even India managed to fall down this rabbit hole at some point. CA really has to step in and tell everyone to shape up next season, go down to Bunnings and buy some lawnmowers if need be

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The more I see of McSweeney the more I like. Would like to see him get a Test debut next summer. He actually looks like a proper batsman, not one that relies on a fair bit of luck to slap a decent score which describes half our Test line-up atm
Daily reminder that Head > McSweeney. Bring it on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everyone wants result wickets for the points
As a general rule I think each game should contribute the same amount of points, total. If you want bonuses for run rate or first innings leads or whatever, you can do that. But some games are worth twice than others it creates this kind of ****ery.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a general rule I think each game should contribute the same amount of points, total. If you want bonuses for run rate or first innings leads or whatever, you can do that. But some games are worth twice than others it creates this kind of ****ery.
The bonus points system this year is beyond my comprehension, but I don't think it's even that complex. With no points for a first innings lead, everyone wants results in every match, and the easiest way to do that with the bowling at hand is a greentop.

Starfighter

He looks plenty quick enough at this level too. Really getting it through
Can't wait till he spends the next seven years injured. In the mean time, can he also learn to bowl an inswinger so we can get a Richardson replacement? I'm itching for us to have a good skiddy swing bowler rather than the diet of line and length seam and whatever it is Starc bowls. We've pretty much wasted Richardson.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Bancroft and Inglis rescuing WA after a top order second innings slump. Their stand, plus 100 run first innings lead might be enough.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't wait till he spends the next seven years injured. In the mean time, can he also learn to bowl an inswinger so we can get a Richardson replacement? I'm itching for us to have a good skiddy swing bowler rather than the diet of line and length seam and whatever it is Starc bowls. We've pretty much wasted Richardson.
In the U19 he had an extremely eye catching outswinging yorker which knocked a few stumps out of the ground, Dale Steyn style

social

In the U19 he had an extremely eye catching outswinging yorker which knocked a few stumps out of the ground, Dale Steyn style
Pump the brakes dude

Vidler bowls around 130

There’s a younger boy at his own club who is quicker, was injured for the 19s but has since had much more success than Callum in first grade

The best of that bunch is Balkin from Toombul who is much quicker again and has taken about 50 wickets in first grade this season. Unfortunately, he’s injured

Good luck to the young man but he’s been picked on potential & because of unavailability

Spark

Global Moderator
Pump the brakes dude

Vidler bowls around 130

There’s a younger boy at his own club who is quicker, was injured for the 19s but has since had much more success than Callum in first grade

The best of that bunch is Balkin from Toombul who is much quicker again and has taken about 50 wickets in first grade this season. Unfortunately, he’s injured

Good luck to the young man but he’s been picked on potential & because of unavailability
:laugh: "around 130". You can't have watched a single he's bowled today if you think that.

Starfighter

:laugh: "around 130". You can't have watched a single he's bowled today if you think that.
Classic Social. Also if there's a guy in Brisbane first grade who's 'much' quicker again than a guy who's already allegedly quicker, then said guy has got to be bowling 150 regularly.

social

*yawn* Queensland Cricket has speed guns

Vidler is tallish with a nice action but quick he ain’t YET (and might never be)

Doesn’t mean that he hasn’t got potential but there’s a lot of better bowlers in Brisbane atm and the stats back it up

Spark

Global Moderator
*yawn* Queensland Cricket has speed guns

Vidler is tallish with a nice action but quick he ain’t YET (and might never be)

Doesn’t mean that he hasn’t got potential but there’s a lot of better bowlers in Brisbane atm and the stats back it up
He beat batsmen for pace and bounce off the pitch several times in his first spell. Dan Hughes and Gilkes aren't exactly world-beaters but they're reasonably experienced at this level, so have faced plenty of high-130km/h bowling, and AB field isn't exactly the Gabba last I checked for pace off the wicket. So no I don't think he was trundling in and delivering at 130km/h, especially given that the claims I've heard circulated about his speed gun figures are very different to what you seem to have heard.

This is exactly why we wanted to see him at Shield level playing alongside established FC bowlers and bowling against (and alongside) professionals, not kids.

Starfighter

He beat batsmen for pace and bounce off the pitch several times in his first spell. Dan Hughes and Gilkes aren't exactly world-beaters but they're reasonably experienced at this level and AB field isn't exactly the Gabba last I checked for pace off the wicket. So no I don't think he was trundling in and delivering at 130km/h, especially given that the claims I've heard circulated about his speed gun figures are very different to what you seem to have heard
Yup, the only ones I've seen are 143-144.

Anyway, here's Balkin for your viewing interest.