• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would 80s WI and 2000s Australia fare in unbeatable current India?

Bolo.

International Captain
Subshakerz was right all along. Teams can't even beat us without 6-7 first choice players including our best batsman, best keeper-bat , best pacer, second best pacer all missing.

Literally unbeatable.
Partisanship aside, India have been my favourite team since Bumrah's debut series. Favourite team ever actually.

I recognize that I should be supporting anyone touring India for 'the good of cricket'.

The level of cognitive dissonance that trying to support a country like England in India creates is annoying as hell.

So, basically what I'm saying is that you and your cricket team can eat a bag of dicks.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
2016-2019 team only lost one home game and that was on a lottery pitch I think
And that too was due to some exceptional bowling from Steve O'Keefe, who actually was a really good bowler somewhat unlucky to play so few..... For all instances and purposes, WI in the 80s did loose two Tests to Narendra Hirwani and Allan Border walking through to their batting line-up, while Kumble drew a series in Australia bowling close to single-handedly (support from bowlers like Agarkar).

Sunil1z

International Regular
After reading through entire thread I have come to conclusion that most posters agree that it will be a close series and IND might edge both series 2-1 .

I think Indian posters should take this as a win that majority consider we start as slight favourites against 2 greatest Test sides of all time at home and don’t lose their marbles when 1 or 2 posters disagree and start giving hyperbolic statements.

Socerer 01

International Captain
After reading through entire thread I have come to conclusion that most posters agree that it will be a close series and IND might edge both series 2-1 .

I think Indian posters should take this as a win that majority consider we start as slight favourites against 2 greatest Test sides of all time at home and don’t lose their marbles when 1 or 2 posters disagree and start giving hyperbolic statements.
personally i think for a 4 test series

80s Windies : 3-0 in favour of India or 3-1
2000s Australia : 2-1 in favour of India or 2-2 draw

Sunil1z

International Regular
personally i think for a 4 test series

80s Windies : 3-0 in favour of India or 3-1
2000s Australia : 2-1 in favour of India or 2-2 draw
You are way underestimating WI pace attack .
If Gillespie, Donald and Pollock can win Test series in IND then so can Marshall, Holding and Garner.

You are forgetting that Bumrah , Shami and Umesh average in low 20s in IND . Then WI pace attack can also demolish our batting line up .

capt_Luffy

International Captain
If Gillespie, Donald and Pollock can win Test series in IND then so can Marshall, Holding and Garner.

You are forgetting that Bumrah , Shami and Umesh average in low 20s in IND . Then WI pace attack can also demolish our batting line up .
Depends on the conditions. I fully expect Marshall and Roberts to win a Test in India; but them or Australia winning a series, I think is somewhat unlikely. I would probably bet around WI losing 60% of times, with Australia around 55%.

Xix2565

International Regular

This isn't that much of an argument, because the AUS/SA sides then faced weaker pace bowlers in less friendly conditions and didn't face the same level of spin bowling overall given the level of everyone else apart from Kumble. WI faced an India when they were incredibly weak, a lot like India/Aus demolishing Ban/SL in their home conditions nowadays.

What makes people so confident that Bumrah/Shami/Umesh/etc won't put WI or AUS under pressure? They've struggled when the opposition was up to their level when playing in away series, so to assume otherwise seems incredibly dumb.

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
Depends on the conditions. I fully expect Marshall and Roberts to win a Test in India; but them or Australia winning a series, I think is somewhat unlikely. I would probably bet around WI losing 60% of times, with Australia around 55%.
I am also saying that we might edge both series 2-1 . But no way we are winning 3-0 or 3-1 . This is delusion.

Socerer 01

International Captain

im not though

idk what Gillespie and Pollock have to do with the current era discussion here when the pitches and batsmen are different

since 2013 which is when this current Indian team run started according to many till now only 8 pacers average below 30, out of these the only 3 who you would call legit fast bowlers are Morkel, Stone and Pattinson. the one i would say who truly mastered our conditions here was Morkel, he bowled a lot of variations like cutters and slow balls but also bowled fast depending on the batsmen and condition of play

bowlers that you would call as fast otherwise generally dont do well, Starc and Wood average in the 50s, Rabada in the 40s and Nortje is 179. having just 4 fast bowlers turn up and bowl in an era of more intense matches isnt as threatening especially when they would be bowling at batsmen with bigger bats, better helmets etc. its why i asked who would be the spinners for West Indies and pointed out that the 3 touring teams that did well here all had solid spin options, without that they arent winning

Socerer 01

International Captain
This isn't that much of an argument, because the AUS/SA faced weaker pace bowlers in less friendly conditions and didn't face the same level of spin bowling overall given the level of everyone else apart from Kumble. WI faced an India when they were incredibly weak, a lot like India/Aus demolishing Ban/SL in their home conditions nowadays.

What makes people so confident that Bumrah/Shami/Umesh/etc won't put WI or AUS under pressure? They've struggled when the opposition was up to their level when playing in away series, so to assume otherwise seems incredibly dumb.
shhhh dont you know cricket is the only sport in the world that has evolved backwards and players nowadays arent a patch on the 20th century giants?

Sunil1z

International Regular
You don’t need spinners to do well in IND if you have Marshall, Holding and Garner . Isn’t Bumrah averaging around 15 in current England series when pitches are flat or moderate spin friendly . Why do you think that Marshall/ Holding/ Garner can’t replicate Bumrah ?

Socerer 01

International Captain
You don’t need spinners to do well in IND if you have Marshall, Holding and Garner . Isn’t Bumrah averaging around 15 in current England series when pitches are flat or moderate spin friendly . Why do you think that Marshall/ Holding/ Garner can’t replicate Bumrah ?
Bumrah also has Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep and Axar supporting him 8-) he isnt bowling by himself

Xix2565

International Regular
They did it against a much weaker team though. It's like saying India bopping WI in WI from 2016 onwards is proof enough that they'd be able to kick the 80s WIs' asses all across the Caribbean without breaking a sweat because of their records there. It's a **** argument that Subzi would love, be better.

R!TTER

State Regular
So in series against WI and Aus they won't play lottery pitches?
Unless they want to be ready for broken f***** arms & legs they wouldn't make those dodgy pitches against WI four quicks, against Oz they could get away with it on occasions.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Bumrah also has Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep and Axar supporting him 8-) he isnt bowling by himself
Yeah and Marshall won’t be supported by Holding, Garner and Andy Roberts . Or you think these last 3 guys aren’t comparable to Ashwin/ Jadeja .