• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Huge win for @wpdavid's mob.

I see your manager quipped he wasn't David Copperfield - if he does half as well as Clement has done at us (who lied to us and told us he wasn't Harry Potter when he arrived), then you'll be fine.
It was a huge win, insofar as if we couldn't beat a Burnley side reduced to ten men, then who could we beat? As it is, we have a bit of breathing space and hopefully it won't be too long before our best players are fit again. That being said, we do seems to have actually made some decent signings in January. Wharton's made a good start, although he was a bit lucky not to to pick up a second yellow card yesterday. And Franca looks promising. But yes, the locals seem happier than they were, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
That is a ****ing wild VAR decision
It was certainly contentious, I can see why they did it though. Question for Endo would be though, if your job is to block a defender running into the space in front of VVD, why do you need to be stood in an offside position when the free kick is taken?

Still not sure how Chelsea failed to score in the 90, some truly abysmal finishing. I'm wondering what Liverpool will have left for the difficult run of League games coming up. Prague on a Thursday night before the visit of City on the Sunday (who will be able to put the reserves out against Copenhagen the night before) looks tough.

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
It was certainly contentious, I can see why they did it though. Question for Endo would be though, if your job is to block a defender running into the space in front of VVD, why do you need to be stood in an offside position when the free kick is taken?

Still not sure how Chelsea failed to score in the 90, some truly abysmal finishing. I'm wondering what Liverpool will have left for the difficult run of League games coming up. Prague on a Thursday night before the visit of City on the Sunday (who will be able to put the reserves out against Copenhagen the night before) looks tough.
We shouldn't have too many issues in Prague I woudn't have thought - that will be a heavily rotated side with many of the guys you saw in the CC final.

Darwin, Dom, Salah and Curtis should all be back after the break, then its just Alisson, Jota and TAA we're waiting on. I'm still of the belief that the City game at Anfield won't determine the title anyway, there's going to be a few surprising points dropped by all three sides in the run home.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Broad has the makings of a multi-sport pundit. Could easily do cricket, football and golf and we know he has the ability to throw in the off the cuff killer line.
Yeah agree. In this one off (and, I think, first time) appearance he spoke more clearly and thoughtfully about football than the majority of seasoned ex-pros and "experts" they usually have on manage in their entire careers.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah agree. In this one off (and, I think, first time) appearance he spoke more clearly and thoughtfully about football than the majority of seasoned ex-pros and "experts" they usually have on manage in their entire careers.
It’s comparable to Shaq on Inside the NBA (you guys probably all going wtf now). He made a couple of guest appearances while he was playing and it was ****ing hilarious and fresh.

After he retired and became a permanent the novelty wore off fast and he just keeps uttering the same inane crap and adds little value to the whole thing (except maybe when he discusses the finer details of playing as a big man in the NBA) but yeah.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It’s comparable to Shaq on Inside the NBA (you guys probably all going wtf now). He made a couple of guest appearances while he was playing and it was ****ing hilarious and fresh.

After he retired and became a permanent the novelty wore off fast and he just keeps uttering the same inane crap and adds little value to the whole thing (except maybe when he discusses the finer details of playing as a big man in the NBA) but yeah.
The thing is though, when Broad talks he sounds like an actual human being. This alone immediately makes him refreshing when compared to the usual pundit bots that invariably churn out the same old inane drivel and platitudes. Granted this may change with time, he could get worn down by the general grind of it all and institutional pressures etc. But still.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is though, when Broad talks he sounds like an actual human being. This alone immediately makes him refreshing when compared to the usual pundit bots that invariably churn out the same old inane drivel and platitudes. Granted this may change with time, he could get worn down by the general grind of it all and institutional pressures etc. But still.
He didn't get worn down by 15 years of Test Cricket - if anything, he was getting more entertaining by the end of it. He's starting to look spot on about his line for Carey.

duffer

I actually enjoyed Kevin Pietersen when he started to commentate for reasons similar to this. Now I just pray he stfu when he comes on

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually enjoyed Kevin Pietersen when he started to commentate for reasons similar to this. Now I just pray he stfu when he comes on
haha wat?!

To me he sounds like what some weird socially inept alien would sound like if they were trying to sound like a human being.

duffer

haha wat?!

To me he sounds like what some weird socially inept alien would sound like if they were trying to sound like a human being.
Like, I thought he was knowledgeable, enthusiastic and not an utter ****. I was wrong, very, very wrong.