• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

White Ball

State 12th Man
Yep, really tough one to call. I wouldn't be surprised if India end up with a First Innings lead, but then I wouldn't want to be batting last on this. Suspect it could turn into a minefield when those cracks open up.
Agree! I think it’s decent for batting bar the new ball but I also think batting last on this deck could be hard India need a lead imo or minimum parity

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't watch play live, but sounds like root took an interesting approach. Ten percent of his career test runs have come from sweeping despite playing in England, and he only swept 4 times in the first 80 overs today.

Molehill

International Captain
Didn't watch play live, but sounds like root took an interesting approach. Ten percent of his career test runs have come from sweeping despite playing in England, and he only swept 4 times in the first 80 overs today.
Duckett was very nearly out sweeping (umpire's call went his way) and then Bairstow was. It seemed a dangerous shot on this pitch and Root seemed to take note straight away. Think he played more reverse than conventional sweeps today too.

King Kane

International Debutant
so how does Baz sum all of this up with his “ethos”?

is Bazball really about all out attack or

can Bazball be about sticking to your guns?

Foakes ‘ strength - slow calm innings - wasn’t rushed today and paid dividends

Root’s strength - Being busy at the crease - did that today scored a ton

I think the evolution of Bazball is to get the best out of each player rather than to fit everyone into one mould of player
Bazball is a media myth, neither McCullum or Stokes use that term, in fact they hate it, it's more about batsmen batting with a more positive intent.

Crawley and Duckett are both naturally attacking batsmen that like to take the bowlers on so it suits them playing that way.

Pope and Bairstow don't seem to play any differently, both are capable of playing great knocks but are inconsistent and Foakes bats as per normal.

Stokes doesn't play any differently under McCullum either, he usually starts slowly and then starts to take the bowlers on once he is set.

Root is the only English batsman that I have noticed a real difference in approach with him trying to play the funky ramp shots or reverse sweeps.

I doubt he was forced to play that way and just decided to do that himself but I think he's realised that he's better off batting normally like he did today.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
England should just let the players who can play bazball do this, and those who cant just play their natural game.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
He was playing very recklessly at the start of McCullum's tenure tbf
Yeah in his first series as captain he was coming charging down the wicket often in the first over he faced. Got a lot of soft dismissals. Doing much better again since reverting to playing himself in before still cutting loose later.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Duckett was very nearly out sweeping (umpire's call went his way) and then Bairstow was. It seemed a dangerous shot on this pitch and Root seemed to take note straight away. Think he played more reverse than conventional sweeps today too.
In the first 80 overs root played 3 conventional sweeps and one reverse, unsure about the breakdown after that point. I find it interesting because this is a guy who made 3 straight 150+ scores in Asia sweeping his ass off and now completely dropped the shot when other batsmen around him in the same game like foakes and bairstow where playing it way more frequently.

Bijed

International Regular
In the first 80 overs root played 3 conventional sweeps and one reverse, unsure about the breakdown after that point. I find it interesting because this is a guy who made 3 straight 150+ scores in Asia sweeping his ass off and now completely dropped the shot when other batsmen around him in the same game like foakes and bairstow where playing it way more frequently.
From memory he struggled with the shot when when we toured Pakistan last year too, maybe just a slight drop-off in hand-eye/fitness or something as he's got a bit older. Don't know if it makes any sense that it would affect his confidence playing a specific shot through

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's not a pitch you want to be using the sweep due to the variable bounce.

Root only swept when the ball wasn't straight.

Socerer 01

International Captain
i dont remember Root doing any reverse sweeps at all where as he did try a couple of sweeps most notably one just before he scored 50

Arachnodouche

International Captain
At least the RR seems to have stayed under control for the most part but we're in trouble here if they make anything 350+.

Not too impressed with Rohit's management of his spin resources. Almost sixty overs (edit: fifty, actually) between Jadeja and a clearly off-the-boil Ashwin (too short, too fast), and just ten for Kuldeep?

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
England should just let the players who can play bazball do this, and those who cant just play their natural game.
Root and Foakes prime candidates to be dropped for the next test since they broke the cardinal rule of Bazball...

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Pope looked like Chris Martin when facing decent spin before this series and in the 1st test played one of the ATG test innings against two of the best spinners in the world on their home turf by playing funky shots. Pope was ramping rabada for six in tests before bazball, he's always been at his best playing funky shots.
But he is more than capable of playing normally and then going for funky shots when he's got runs on the board. He's capable of playing normally, he has a very good orthodox defence. He was averaging very high in first class cricket when not playing for England. It has only been when he's played under Stokes/McCullum that he's started showing his talent to anything like that degree when playing at first drop.

Shri

Mr. Glass
so how does Baz sum all of this up with his “ethos”?

is Bazball really about all out attack or

can Bazball be about sticking to your guns?

Foakes ‘ strength - slow calm innings - wasn’t rushed today and paid dividends

Root’s strength - Being busy at the crease - did that today scored a ton

I think the evolution of Bazball is to get the best out of each player rather than to fit everyone into one mould of player
at this rate they are actually going to play some cricket :shock:

Howe_zat

Audio File
India still (literal) favourites, but I'm inclined to be positive given the rest of the series has had runs on the board as worth more than they might initially seem.

Have to hope that Root gets another 30+ before the random declaration ofc

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
At least the RR seems to have stayed under control for the most part but we're in trouble here if they make anything 350+.

Not too impressed with Rohit's management of his spin resources. Almost sixty overs between Jadeja and a clearly-off-the-boil Ashwin (too short, too fast), and just ten for Kuldeep?
Yes, he did bring Kuldeep quite late but that is always going to happen with 3 spinners. And, Kuldeep was also played out easily by Root and co today.