• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root vs Mark Waugh

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Away records aren’t very useful without context. His SA record is literally him having a poor tour at 22. His record in SL is better than Kohlis record in Bangladesh and Bang have good spinners at home.
Kohli played 2 matches in Bangladesh and without Shakib if I remember right..... And any context you put it in; his records in England and India are too poor and he really lacks any great away series except in Pakistan; while Kohli is among the finest touring batsman in South Africa and Australia; and also has a great series in England.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
I think Kane is touring India and Srilanka this year, hopefully he will improve his average.
Meanwhile,Kohli has to prove in England and Newzealand but unfortunately those tours are in the next cycle of WTC.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
On topic,Root has better career but Mark Waugh showed he can perform against best team of his time plus also a great slip fielder and a better handy bowler than Joe root.

Gob

International Coach
I don't think its necessary to tick the boxes in every country. Only Tendulkar has done that I think and everyone else has a country or two where they aren't very good at. I wouldn't really hold it against KW if he doesn't improve his record in SL for an example.

Aus, India, England and SA are the big challenges for visiting batsman in the current generation imo with every other country a level below. If you can average over 45 in two of these countries, you are a bloody good player

Gob

International Coach
I don't think its necessary to tick the boxes in every country. Only Tendulkar has done that I think and everyone else has a country or two where they aren't very good at. I wouldn't really hold it against KW if he doesn't improve his record in SL for an example.

Aus, India, England and SA are the big challenges for visiting batsman in the current generation imo with every other country a level below. If you can average over 45 in two of these countries, you are a bloody good player
Following up this for the past decade. Probably takes away Kane's bad tour to SA

xxxxxxxxx.png

capt_Luffy

International Captain

I love Kane more than Virat despite once been a huge fan of his; but I truly think KW needs to improve his record atleast in India, England and SA to really escape home bully allegations; as his record in big countries away but Australia is bad and Australia record isn't also as good as Virat in Australia and England. Once he does that, which I don't necessarily doubt given opportunities he will, and averages atleast 40s or high 30s in 3 of the big 4; I will gladly believe him to be ahead of Virat.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular

I think his record in India and England are valid criticisms. His record in SA is literally him just having a poor tour at 22. He’s probably never going to get to tour there again lol. His overseas record is not really any worse than Sangakkara’s IMO.

Gob

International Coach
I think his record in India and England are valid criticisms. His record in SA is literally him just having a poor tour at 22. He’s probably never going to get to tour there again lol. His overseas record is not really any worse than Sangakkara’s IMO.
It is considerably worse

Gob

International Coach
And conveniently overlooked Sanga averaging 60 plus on Australia?

Also the oversimplification is ludicrous. Sangakkara has a match winning ton in South Africa. His last series in England also took place well after the road era of 00s where he dominated

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I honestly can't think of any other top 50 batsman with a worse away record; except for Sehwag..... As I said earlier, KW is just good in Australia and bad in England, India, SA and SL. You could cut him slack for one or two; but he really struggles away when not facing Pakistan. Honestly now on thinking about it, KW kinda have a similar record to Sehwag; just better at home and having longevity factor on his side.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
And conveniently overlooked Sanga averaging 60 plus on Australia?
My point was just that they both have a couple holes. Sanga probably is a better away from home even after adjusting for eras but I think Kane’s ridiculous home record somewhat makes up for it but that’s just me.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
I honestly can't think of any other top 50 batsman with a worse away record; except for Sehwag..... As I said earlier, KW is just good in Australia and bad in England, India, SA and SL. You could cut him slack for one or two; but he really struggles away when not facing Pakistan. Honestly now on thinking about it, KW kinda have a similar record to Sehwag; just better at home and having longevity factor on his side.
I can’t take criticism of his record in SA seriously. SL have a weak attack. He actually did well on his tough tour to SL against peak Herath.

Gob

International Coach
I try not to do the subshakerz check list thing these days. I don't really care if his record in SL is poor or not it could simply down to it being sample sized and there is no reason why he shouldn't score there

I just think, and this is not even stats thing, that Aus, Eng, Ind and SA have been notoriously difficult for visiting batsmen in recent times for various reasons and I tend to rate players who do well in those countries comparatively higher

Just that KW not averaging 45 in any of those places bothers me