• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The worst thing about bazball is some commentator's (DK in this case) unwillingness to criticize their batsmen when they play a braindead shot. Just because their approach has worked wonders overall doesn't mean every single thing they do is beyond reproach ffs. Roots shot was unforgivable, these ****s are so scared to say it.

And it also ignores the fact that most of the times bazball has worked its been controlled Aggression not mindless slogging and reverse laps over the slips.
100% agree. The England approach is confident and based on aggressiveness but also playing with the odds at least somewhat in your favour. It's with some level of skill and intelligence. That shot had zero of any of that. It deserves full scorn

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing hell Kuldeep should've had 4 or 5 already. Jurel not exactly covering himself in glory behind the stumps at the moment.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
That is the approach though.
If that is the approach why was Stokes 7 off 26 balls at the beginning of his innings?
Only certain players have to adopt that approach?
Everyone has freedom. Root made the wrong decision and on top of that couldn't execute.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Holy **** this is good bowling. As good an advertisement as you could have for the benefits of bazball actually. Duckett hit him out of the attack yesterday, if he hadn't and batsmen had tried to play him normally England probably would've been 4 or 5 down by stumps.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These have been very docile pitches by recent Indian standards
They have basically been flat tracks or slow turners which are both great to bat on at least from a survival perspective. These have been good tracks by any measure.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In theory. I watched the Ashes and he profited from it a couple of times but equally played and missed almost as much.

I respect the view you're coming at but this guy has 11000 runs that weren't scored backwards over the slips. I can't imagine doing it doesn't have some sort of effect on his technique and shot selection, and to my view - and others - his game has regressed under Baz. The numbers don't show it yet but it's heading that way
Yeah tend to agree. You don't really see the rest of the bazballers playing it either. It's purely a Root thing.

Kirkut

International Regular
I'm not a fan regardless though. I hardly even watch limited over cricket because it's become almost mindless slogging.Even watching Stokes coming down the wicket to drive after already hitting a boundary in the the over causes some anxiety.
IMHO Root should bat like how he used to in 2015. Played classic cricket shots but was very attacking too.

Spark

Global Moderator
They have basically been flat tracks or slow turners which are both great to bat on at least from a surivival perspective. These have been good tracks by any measure.
Oh yeah definitely. Point was more that he can't point to the "they were dustbowl pitches!" excuse that some batsmen could be forgiven for citing at times when touring India since about 2018. These have been perfectly good pitches to bat on and he's still looked completely flummoxed at times. I would point to that as a much bigger concern than Root playing a dumb shot, frankly.