• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Rohit should just continue with kuldeep at the one end. He has the rhythm, don't interrupt. Bring jadeja from Siraj's end.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also gotta be said that given both of yesterday's dismissals were actually pretty normal, that bazball delivered England an overnight scored of 200/2 as opposed to 100 for 2 or more.

Obviously there's a limit though, and reverse scooping the best bowler in the world in the third over of the morning when the opposition have a weakened bowling lineup and the real threat should be coming from the spinners definitely crosses that line imo.
Yeah that was bad. But I'm baffled at the idea that the bloke on 152 trying to smash a long hop getting it wrong invalidates the whole theory; that takes a monomaniacal dedication to "the only way that counts is the traditional way, none of this new-fangled garbage" which is possibly the worst broadly held opinion in cricket right now.

Natural byproduct of bazball.
India are if anything more responsible for this than England.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You're also not understanding. The entire, fundamental ethos of Bazball is that "mind games" are an evil and must be purged from the setup. Total mental clarity, total unquestioning support, no compromises. Start picking on Joe Root and the blokes who are half as good will be immediately worrying about their spots.
I don't agree with the other poster, but you mention mental clarity and that does need to be a fundamental of the way they play. I'd love to know how they can justify the mental clarity of Joe Root, probably the most skilled (or close) long form batsman in the world, playing reverse scoops. And this isn't hindsight I banged on about it all Ashes.

You also have to question the approach and what works/what doesn't along the way. If that shot isn't giving enough to pay off for that gash dismissal just now, which led to a mini collapse, then they should be smart enough to change it rather than 'thats just Joe'

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The worst thing about bazball is some commentator's (DK in this case) unwillingness to criticize their batsmen when they play a braindead shot. Just because their approach has worked wonders overall doesn't mean every single thing they do is beyond reproach ffs. Roots shot was unforgivable, these ****s are so scared to say it.

And it also ignores the fact that most of the times bazball has worked its been controlled Aggression not mindless slogging and reverse laps over the slips.

kyear2

International Coach
I wonder what happens after Stokes-McCullum. Does this style become the English way of playing cricket in the future or do they revert to something more sedate.
I don't mind aggression, and it's not new. Root's shot was nonsense though, especially against who it was.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't agree with the other poster, but you mention mental clarity and that does need to be a fundamental of the way they play. I'd love to know how they can justify the mental clarity of Joe Root, probably the most skilled (or close) long form batsman in the world, playing reverse scoops. And this isn't hindsight I banged on about it all Ashes.

You also have to question the approach and what works/what doesn't along the way. If that shot isn't giving enough to pay off for that gash dismissal just now, which led to a mini collapse, then they should be smart enough to change it rather than 'thats just Joe'
The logic has been explained before by both Root and other batsmen who like that shot - with a standard field the biggest gap is at third man. So getting it over the slips, if you execute the shot, is one of the most reliable run-scoring options available. In theory.

Now, should he be trying to play that at the start of the day against Bumrah, knowing that India's bowling will likely fall off after he's done? IMO no. But there is a logic to the shot.

kyear2

International Coach
The worst thing about bazball is some commentator's (DK in this case) unwillingness to criticize their batsmen when they play a braindead shot. Just because their approach has worked wonders overall doesn't mean every single thing they do is beyond reproach ffs. Roots shot was unforgivable, these ****s are so scared to say it.

And it also ignores the fact that most of the times bazball has worked its been controlled Aggression not mindless slogging and reverse laps over the slips.
Everyone seems to miss the point that there is an in-between.

But gain nothing new, I recall Richardson falling into jook traps and I'm thinking to myself what the hell is he doing.

ataraxia

International Coach
Root was out to Wagner the same way, wasn't he? Given both were full balls, there's a decent case for just aborting the shot if it's full IMO.

Kirkut

International Regular
I don't mind aggression, and it's not new. Root's shot was nonsense though, especially against who it was.
If that went for four or Root scored 40 ball 50, it would have been labeled as fearless cricket. That's just how bazball is, major rewards come with risks.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man

Maybe same reason Root was not a very good captain. Skilled player but terrible at making decisions.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The logic has been explained before by both Root and other batsmen who like that shot - with a standard field the biggest gap is at third man. So getting it over the slips, if you execute the shot, is one of the most reliable run-scoring options available. In theory.

Now, should he be trying to play that at the start of the day against Bumrah, knowing that India's bowling will likely fall off after he's done? IMO no. But there is a logic to the shot.
In theory. I watched the Ashes and he profited from it a couple of times but equally played and missed almost as much.

I respect the view you're coming at but this guy has 11000 runs that weren't scored backwards over the slips. I can't imagine doing it doesn't have some sort of effect on his technique and shot selection, and to my view - and others - his game has regressed under Baz. The numbers don't show it yet but it's heading that way

kyear2

International Coach
If that went for four or Root scored 40 ball 50, it would have been labeled as fearless cricket. That's just how bazball is, major rewards come with risks.
I'm not a fan regardless though. I hardly even watch limited over cricket because it's become almost mindless slogging.Even watching Stokes coming down the wicket to drive after already hitting a boundary in the the over causes some anxiety.