• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
It must be hard thinking of good interview questions and I couldn't do it. That said I thought Richardson's post match interview questions were a bit flat.
"So young Will O'Rourke, it must be really hard with all the mechanics of your action to get the ball actually coming out consistently, you must have been happy you bowled ok?"
"Yeah I guess I got lucky and it came out ok".

What is he trying to do? Talk O'Rourke into getting the yips? Luckily it only happens to spinners and slow mediums normally.
There was a questionable question to Kane as well which Kane with all his media training didn't address and gave a sound bite answer instead.

I am sure Richardson will do better next time and his last interview with Southee was much better. No one is perfect !!!
I can't remember if it was Richardson, but earlier in the test there was an interview after the day's play, the interviewer threw about three totally different questions into a long meandering sentence, and ended with a statement.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
My review on the series is that without Kane we lose that series 2-0 to South Africa.

He was the difference between the sides.

NZ starting to remind me of the late Martin Crowe era where Martin would ton up and everyone else just give him stand with scores like 17 and 22.

Don't diss Latham for only getting 30s and 40s. He is doing his primary job of blunting the new ball. He is doing ok.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
Ravindra's 240 alone would have given us a first innings lead in Tauranga, though.
I thought of that while making my post and I should have added a sentence that I think Rachin only made 240 because he had Kane to talk to him at the other end. What an experience that must have been for Rachin having 4-6 hours of on the job learning with someone who he said in the presser at the end of the day's play had been his idol growing up. Rachin looked, and quite rightly so, like he had stars in his eyes when learning from Kane between overs and often Kane wandered down to talk to him in the middle of an over as the pressure mounted at key moments.
Or no am I alone with my opinion that Rachin's century was based on Kane teaching hm and passing the baton to the next one who will carry us for the next ten years.
What do you think Ed? Genuine question...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought of that while making my post and I should have added a sentence that I think Rachin only made 240 because he had Kane to talk to him at the other end. What an experience that must have been for Rachin having 4-6 hours of on the job learning with someone who he said in the presser at the end of the day's play had been his idol growing up. Rachin looked, and quite rightly so, like he had stars in his eyes when learning from Kane between overs and often Kane wandered down to talk to him in the middle of an over as the pressure mounted at key moments.
Or no am I alone with my opinion that Rachin's century was based on Kane teaching hm and passing the baton to the next one who will carry us for the next ten years.
What do you think Ed? Genuine question...
I guess there could be something to that, but on the other hand, you have to acknowledge what Ravindra's already done in the World Cup. He's very quickly proven that he can play incredible innings under pressure at international level. I think he could probably have done that regardless of who's at the other end.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Easy win as expected for NZ. Congrats on finally defeating RSA in a test series. RSA found 2 or 3 good players I guess, which was honestly the best case outcome they could have hoped for given the gulf between the sides.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Series win vs Saffa has never tasted so meh
Great to finally win a test series against SA but it's a bit hollow when it wasn't against their full strength line up.
Nah a series win is a series win. We've broken the duck, virgin no more, kicked the curse, broken South Africa's mental hold. I repeat THE MONKEY IS OFF THE BACK. Look out, world.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A nice moment for me in this game was that my youngest (3 years old) came home from childcare with about 25 runs still required to win. I was working on the computer with the TV on the cricket but with the sound off. She came in wanting to use the TV but I told her that the cricket was on (a regular thing this Summer). She decided to watch the cricket, sat on my lap to watch it and tried to count down the runs as they were scored (lots of fingers being counted and pointed at). Though she did seem to hope/think that they got a run each time the ball hit the bat and seemed genuinely confused when with two runs to win, a boundary is struck to win the game.

The Hutt Rec

Every single win we have seems to get an asterisk next to it from certain people ... Kane is a hometown hero, our WTC win was because Australia didn't go to SA and we don't play three test series, we only beat SA because they sent an understrength team ...

Well to hell with it, there were people on here before hand saying South Africa were favourites, and that it would be one all, and all this. And like we've never sent a crap side to South Africa before! Calling 1994!? So I'm enjoying this one myself, and for me it's a totally legit series win. And it was a comprehensive one, as well.

But also well done to South Africa at the same time, they gave everything they had and didn't make it easy. I feel a bit for them, they badly needed some experience in there, but they did as well as they realistically could have hoped.

Onto the Australia series! I still think we can cause an upset and win at least one of those tests ...

Aidan11

Looks like it was a fairly easy win in the end for NZ.

Always helps having a player like KW in the team.

Hurricane2

U19 Cricketer
A nice moment for me in this game was that my youngest (3 years old) came home from childcare with about 25 runs still required to win. I was working on the computer with the TV on the cricket but with the sound off. She came in wanting to use the TV but I told her that the cricket was on (a regular thing this Summer). She decided to watch the cricket, sat on my lap to watch it and tried to count down the runs as they were scored (lots of fingers being counted and pointed at). Though she did seem to hope/think that they got a run each time the ball hit the bat and seemed genuinely confused when with two runs to win, a boundary is struck to win the game.
That is a very heart warming story. Cheers

Heboric

International Debutant
Every single win we have seems to get an asterisk next to it from certain people ... Kane is a hometown hero, our WTC win was because Australia didn't go to SA and we don't play three test series, we only beat SA because they sent an understrength team ...

Well to hell with it, there were people on here before hand saying South Africa were favourites, and that it would be one all, and all this. And like we've never sent a crap side to South Africa before! Calling 1994!? So I'm enjoying this one myself, and for me it's a totally legit series win. And it was a comprehensive one, as well.

But also well done to South Africa at the same time, they gave everything they had and didn't make it easy. I feel a bit for them, they badly needed some experience in there, but they did as well as they realistically could have hoped.

Onto the Australia series! I still think we can cause an upset and win at least one of those tests ...
Im sorry but can you show me the posts who said South Africa were favourites

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see some young SA do well even though in an ideal world, most of them shouldn't have even been playing.

Kane is such a beast though. Remarkable output of runs over such a long period of time now .

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Love it brother. My kids only watch cricket with me when they know it's past their bed time 😂 I'm going to keep trying