• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Colin Maiden Park idea is in the news again.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Colin Maiden Park is an awful idea and anyone with an iota of a clue knows this.

It is not accessible by train, it's tough by car, buses are a waste of space, it is not handy to any bar/restaurant establishments, it's just not ticking any boxes apart from it's a reasonably big grass area.

The premise is right, Test cricket HAS to be played in Auckland. It has to. But not there.

_Ed_

I always kinda liked the sound of the Western Springs proposal (especially when I lived a few minutes away in a flat in Waterview...)

But that seems to have gone by the wayside now.

_Ed_

I actually liked the gimmick of Eden Park's short straight boundaries tbh. It's no Basin Reserve but the aversion to ever playing Tests there is kinda silly.
I agree, but availability is now going to be a major issue there. Just in the last few years, they've started to be allowed to host up to six concerts per year - those will all be in the summer months, and the turf will be wrecked for weeks after each one.

Pink's playing two nights there during this upcoming Aus-NZ test series, for example.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It gives me the shits we don't have another Auckland test ground.

Refurbish the ****ing north harbour stadium you bastards, knock half it down, give it some grassy banks

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Has anyone else noticed that every single piece of analysis Mark Richardson does almost immediately morphs into a 5-10 minute anecdote about himself?

Mike5181

International Captain
It gives me the ****s we don't have another Auckland test ground.

Refurbish the ****ing north harbour stadium you bastards, knock half it down, give it some grassy banks
We let the Blues be terrible for a decade plus as well, which probably did irreparable harm to rugby.

Zinzan

Has anyone else noticed that every single piece of analysis Mark Richardson does almost immediately morphs into a 5-10 minute anecdote about himself?
Yep although along with Katie Martin he's actually the best of a horrible bunch of TV one commentators.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually liked the gimmick of Eden Park's short straight boundaries tbh. It's no Basin Reserve but the aversion to ever playing Tests there is kinda silly.
Yeah...is this the biggest drawback, or is it the lack of atmosphere as a Test ground? I imagined it would be the latter. Or as Ed said, it's more lucrative to have singers my 9 and 6 year old are into play there, than Kane Williamson.

It gives me the ****s we don't have another Auckland test ground.

North Harbour Stadium was a great ground to play at, but **** having to get there. No no no no. Western Springs would have been better, and actually the best option if we're talking logistically would have been Victoria Park. I presume that would be a public access issue that they don't want to take away a big chunk of land in the CBD from the residents.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Hahaha this is self aggrandizing of the highest order.

That article should be about the Australian series but ends up being him ranking his Test innings.