• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower as a wicket keeper ?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2012/2013 would be around the time that the group consensus around MSD's keeping skills were probably at it's lowest

capt_Luffy

International Captain
So, like then nobody exactly agree on his keeping qualities; and the opinions vary from capable to a burden with more people tending towards the latter..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember reading a piece on the sportstar where he himself talked about how he improved as a keeper coz it did not come naturally to him. I think he turned himself into a decent to good keeper around the late 90s and early 00s but then the incidents happened and his career was cut short.

howitzer

State Captain
Was Wayne James any good as a gloveman? Never seen him. Could his batting have averaged out to mid 20s with more chances?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I remember reading a piece on the sportstar where he himself talked about how he improved as a keeper coz it did not come naturally to him. I think he turned himself into a decent to good keeper around the late 90s and early 00s but then the incidents happened and his career was cut short.
By the time he 'retired' from international cricket he wasn't keeping anymore anyway because Taibu was around and far better than him at it.

He didn't keep much in the CC or the SS after that either.

kyear2

International Coach
I definitely saw him keep, and I definitely disagree with Brumby.

His wicket keeping is widely loathed on the ZCF site as well.
The opinion that Flower was a decent keeper is perpetuated because very few people outside Zimbabwe ever payed attention to it and they just see that he kept a lot so assume he must have been ok. Zimbabwe also doesn't have a massive rabid fan base to disparage his keeping and bring it to everyone's attention.

Only filthy casuls think he was a good keeper.
So seems pretty conclusive tbf.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
He was a solid keeper, much in the Dave Richardson vein. Used to go unnoticed which can only be a good thing in a wicket keeper.
Don't remember him ever dropping any particularly huge bollocks, I have to say. Cut above the Dhonis and Haddins of the world, in my estimation.

Disagree he was a better bat than Gilly tho. Different kind of bat and, good as he was, you never quite got the idea he could take the game away from you like Gilchirst's flashing blade did.
Flower >>>> Dhoni in all three aspects.
Massive disagree. Henry Olonga, Eddo Brandes, Neil Johonson and another bloke (who was an all rounder whom i could not remember the name) were quicker than Streak. And most of them were erratic too. It's massively easy to keep a Steyn than a Fernando even the former is bit more pacy.
Yep. Given they were the 3 people currently active on the forum who dislikes Flower's keeping and I talked with recently, pretty decessive.

kyear2

International Coach
Yep. Given they were the 3 people currently active on the forum who dislikes Flower's keeping and I talked with recently, pretty decessive.
The first quite speaks to him going unnoticed and making a conclusion based on that. Healy didn't go unnoticed, neither did Dujon.etc etc

There was quite a bit of caveats in BBs statement. "particularly huge" is one of them

Don't think Dhoni was a great keeper by any measure, so not than impressive to me.

Miagra didn't say he was good, he said his bowlers weren't that easy to keep to, what were his byes numbers like?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The first quite speaks to him going unnoticed and making a conclusion based on that. Healy didn't go unnoticed, neither did Dujon.
And who exactly is calling him as good as Healy or Dujon (though I don't rate Dujon particularly highly)!!? Akmal didn't go unnoticed as did late Bairstow. JDB's main problem seems to be related to his techniques and OS pretty much watched the same matches as HB, CA and my father did.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The first quite speaks to him going unnoticed and making a conclusion based on that. Healy didn't go unnoticed, neither did Dujon.etc etc

There was quite a bit of caveats in BBs statement. "particularly huge" is one of them

Don't think Dhoni was a great keeper by any measure, so not than impressive to me.

Miagra didn't say he was good, he said his bowlers weren't that easy to keep to, what were his byes numbers like?
On that Dhoni was clearly superior to Dujon personally.
And Flower's keeping stats are pretty good, including bye count (though they aren't particularly reliable).

kyear2

International Coach
On that Dhoni was clearly superior to Dujon personally.
And Flower's keeping stats are pretty good, including bye count (though they aren't particularly reliable).
Don't think there's ever been a better keeper to pace than Dujon, but guess there's no stat to tell you that.