• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2024 South Africa tour of New Zealand: 2 tests

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Could give the seamers the rest of the game off. Santner, Phillips, and Ravindra can take the remaining 13 wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will give it to Santner, he's bowling really nicely this match. I was very much in favour of dropping him from the test side when last he had a permanent spot and wasn't performing, but he's been bowling well in all formats, batting improved and so I'm willing to suspend disbelief and see how he goes this time round.

That said, Rachin's started well with the ball here too.

Also credit to the groundspeople - usually when someone suggests an NZ pitch might actually turn and support spin, I laugh disbelievingly. But this pitch makes spin bowling not a total waste of time! Dry weather helps, obviously.

jcas0167

International Debutant
“Give me the test captaincy or I’m quitting”

Would NZC fold to that kind of shocking ultimatum? It would set a dangerous precedent if any player is allowed to behave like that, effectively carrying out a coup against the existing captain.
Sounds dubious. Southee had done a pretty good job captaining in T20. Latham lead in 2 of the tests the Black Caps lost in England in 2022. They may have wanted a fresh approach.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
“Give me the test captaincy or I’m quitting”

Would NZC fold to that kind of shocking ultimatum? It would set a dangerous precedent if any player is allowed to behave like that, effectively carrying out a coup against the existing captain.
Can someone please explain this, I've seen many posts vaguely talking about some sort of captaincy scandal.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Can someone please explain this, I've seen many posts vaguely talking about some sort of captaincy scandal.
Southee walked in on an NZC official getting a bj from someone who wasn't their wife. He used this as leverage to get onto a more career fulfilling detail, but still has to work the phones for NZC.

wire4x2.jpg

Gnske

Southee walked in on an NZC official getting a bj from someone who wasn't their wife. He used this as leverage to get onto a more career fulfilling detail, but still has to work the phones for NZC.

View attachment 39029
Any guy who blackmails the man and not the woman is alright in my books.

Seriously, after 15 years you guys should appreciate him more.

thierry henry

International Coach
Did they just segue from Waitangi Day programming into a right wing shock jock doing a long form ad for Mount Maunganui?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I just read people saying that Southee had given NZC an ultimatum that if he didn’t get the test captaincy he’d be going down the Boult route and becoming a T20 franchise road dog.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
O'Rourke is in the squad for the second test only. Having him in the squad for a test match week, but not playing, would be a good approach to ease a player into the higher level. (Like Jamieson over in Aus). But on the other hand a debut against a weakened opponent is also an ideal time to debut. And he's red hot right now.

I can see both sides. But, I hope the decision is based around what they want for O'Rourke , not about sentimentality for Wagner, champ though he has been.
I've got the feeling Seddon might be his audition for the Australia series. Looking at his work, & especially his work for NZ A (where ironically he did better in Aus), there might be a feeling he could be picked, especially if Wagner gets moved on or if they don't need Santner.

Gnske

Respectfully, if we're still posting on a vBulletin board with xenforo sprinkles on top in 20 years and still listening to Burgey and HB talk about Chennai, we've all failed.
That being said congrats Ed on managing to put up with 20 years of Kiwi doomsayers creating new accounts and infiltrating this board every Chappell-Hadlee series.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Respectfully, if we're still posting on a vBulletin board with xenforo sprinkles on top in 20 years and still listening to Burgey and HB talk about Chennai, we've all failed.
or 200 years when aliens use this forum, populated only by AI versions of all of us on a dead and desolate planet, to understand the 'lifeforms' that once lived here

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Survives that one but it's time for Petersen to play some shots. As commentators have pointed out, he's even defending or patting back genuine half volleys from Santner - has got himself in a hole.

Gnske

or 200 years when aliens use this forum, populated only by AI versions of all of us on a dead and desolate planet, to understand the 'lifeforms' that once lived here
Can imagine them reading through Hendrix's off topic content and deciding the journey to Earth is a few nebulae too far.