• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but when your mindset is to go as hard as they do, that sort of thing can always happen. It's the price you buy this approach at.

It was ridiculous how many numb skull England supporters (there's stacks, let's be honest) were on here during the Ashes huffing and puffing about how great it was they were scoring so fast only to turn around and lament the choice of shots blokes played as they skied one to mid wicket for 30 or 40 odd. Well duh.

That's the inherent risk in playing the way they do. And if it works for their players then so be it, but their supporters need to come to terms with the fact there's going to be a lot of dismissals which look ****ing horrendous when you play this way.
Yeah you can’t take the upside and then complain about the downsides.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha ha, yes, whoever are supporting bazball should also be of the acceptance that they can get out to those risky shots too. Works great when it comes off and looks stupid when it doesn't.
Yeah and the thing about the style of play is it will take an adjustment to the way spectators look at it as well, much like we all sort of hang on a DRS review now where before we just had to accept a **** decision and move on. It requires a different set of expectations when you're watching it.

Mind you, if I'm an England supporter I'm still dirt on the way Root played. Crazy stuff for a bloke with his record.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah and the thing about the style of play is it will take an adjustment to the way spectators look at it as well, much like we all sort of hang on a DRS review now where before we just had to accept a **** decision and move on. It requires a different set of expectations when you're watching it.

Mind you, if I'm an England supporter I'm still dirt on the way Root played. Crazy stuff for a bloke with his record.
TBH, I dont think Bazball can be a write-off for any crazy cricket. I pointed out the field placings by Stokes yesterday as an example. There is far more thought put behind this than they like to accept. But British media still being the worst in the world (and being worse than Indian media is a feat in itself) means their biggest enemy will be themselves and how much they buy into their own hype. To me, Bazball cricket is simply pragmatic cricket in trying to score runs and get wickets in whatever be the most likely manner possible at that time. And Stokes had quite a bit of success boring batsmen out in Pakistan as well, its not always just attack.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
During the Ashes KP was banging on about Root being hyper aggressive and how great it was he'd taken the game up to and away from Aus. Carried on for a couple of minutes and when he was finally done, Ponting just looked at him and went "Yeah, but he got 40. And he's out."
Punter on comms has genuinely been so different to Punter the player. We should have had him commentating here for this series with KP. Would have been fun.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
A few people talking like it's already over and 1-1. There's only about 200 runs to win, with Stokes still in, so things could still go close to the wire.
Needed Bairstow/Crawley to get to lunch. Think the Crawley dismissal was the game. India have been the better team but nice to see England not shaming us on an India/Australia tour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A few people talking like it's already over and 1-1. There's only about 200 runs to win, with Stokes still in, so things could still go close to the wire. Not to mention be entertaining as hell.
Oh I am very worried, make no mistake. Its only 60m hit 6s here and Stokes can smash plenty of them off the spinners.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH, I dont think Bazball can be a write-off for any crazy cricket. I pointed out the field placings by Stokes yesterday as an example. There is far more thought put behind this than they like to accept. But British media still being the worst in the world (and being worse than Indian media is a feat in itself) means their biggest enemy will be themselves and how much they buy into their own hype. To me, Bazball cricket is simply pragmatic cricket in trying to score runs and get wickets in whatever be the most likely manner possible at that time. And Stokes had quite a bit of success boring batsmen out in Pakistan as well, its not always just attack.
Yeah I'm more talking about the batting approach tbh. I think the field placements will be whatever they will be given the context of the game and the approach of the skipper at any given time.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain

Bizarre innings. Surely injured. Root under Bazball though gets a lot more low scores than he did before.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Root has a broken finger though, doesn't he? Could just be like smith in the second test of the 2019 ashes after joff knocked his head off the second time and he didn't back his defensive technique anymore, so he just decided to blast it. The entire innings after the reverse sweep first ball felt weird to me.

Shri

Mr. Glass
way to own bazball in india is simple

don't prepare tracks that are so slow that sweeps and reverse sweeps become easy to play

bit of pace, slight turn. goodbye **** off

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
You are over thinking what Bazball is. That's very unbazball.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
It has been a good fist at the target by the England team. It was a 100 too many, otherwise they could have chased it with the Bazball approach. 1-1 scorecard sets up the rest of the series nicely.
Yeah this. If we'd done the kind of job we should have done in the first innings, this was gettable. Bumrah had other ideas though. Can't be too mad.

Spark

Global Moderator
Punter on comms has genuinely been so different to Punter the player. We should have had him commentating here for this series with KP. Would have been fun.
Ponting the captain still comes through at times in his commentary - you can tell that he was absolutely a stickler for attention to detail to ask almost extreme level, and he's still no fan of what he perceives as bad umpiring.