• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree overall, but it's an ok approach for today.

We need to bat as long as possible so England don't get use of the flatter wicket.

On these sort of decks, in a weird way it's ok to bat conservatively because you'll rarely get an unplayable delivery but can get out if you play a rash shot. It's on tougher wickets where you need to take your chances.
I just dont think its a great strategy to get stuck. Especially when you are naturally attacking batsmen. Its what cost us the last game IMO and it is what has cost us the first wicket here. I understand not going overboard but surely playing the odd positive shot based on the field, like one an over, against spin on a batting friendly track is not too much to ask?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good thing we shored up the batting though by retaining Gill, bringing in a quick who can't bat and leaving out a guy who averages 66 with the bat in Test matches
I mean, Axar and Ashwin are both great #8s and its a luxury to be able to have one of them bat 9 but neither is a #7 FFS. :(

Spark

Global Moderator
I just dont think its a great strategy to get stuck. Especially when you are naturally attacking batsmen. Its what cost us the last game IMO and it is what has cost us the first wicket here. I understand not going overboard but surely playing the odd positive shot based on the field, like one an over, against spin on a batting friendly track is not too much to ask?
I really notice that a lot of these younger batsmen have a problem with tempo. They either go way too hard or they become really passive. It's actually the one thing you notice the most with the truly great batsmen; they have absolute mastery of tempo and can change it at will.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this the most inexperienced XI India have fielded in the last couple of decades? Rohit was the only batter with something resembling a test career.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really notice that a lot of these younger batsmen have a problem with tempo. They either go way too hard or they become really passive. It's actually the one thing you notice the most with the truly great batsmen; they have absolute mastery of tempo and can change it at will.
This is why bazball works so well. It takes the guesswork out and just dictates the tempo to you so you have clarity of thought.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is why bazball works so well. It takes the guesswork out and just dictates the tempo to you so you have clarity of thought.
Yeah 100%. I really think the main lesson from "Bazball" at least with the bat is that clarity of mind >>> everything else.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
100% agreed.
Positive cricket can be played with proper cricketing shots. Playing reckless is different.
Being over defensive shows the opposition you are under pressure (in the context of this series).