• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Flem274*

123/5
See previous comments. Huge difference between someone dominating all FC cricket for years and just not getting picked for increasingly strange reasons, and guys averaging 37 who have two good seasons... and then quickly demonstrate whey they average 37 in the Shield when picked
Yep I read those after I posted.

Still, guys can improve. Mitchell was a fringe player for ND averagin 35ish before a surprise one off test then his move to Canterbury for a God mode season, and Watling was a completely mid domestic opener. As much as I think he's going to get found out, Macewell went from averaging literally something like 9 to three format NZ player within 12 months.

Australian cricket always has stronger bones than ours so I'm pretty confident there are players in your system who are currently mid af who will pull it together at around 30 years of age.

Ryan Harris went from crappy medium pacer to world #2.

Slifer

International Captain
Well guess I'll be eating my phone because in my wildest dreams I didn't expect wi to win a test in Australia.

The batting is still woeful and that needs to be addressed but what a game. Curious to know what a WI XI looks like assuming all players are fit?

As far as upsets in my lifetime, only SL winning a series in South Africa beats this (that i can recall). India winning at the Gabba with their 3rd Xi is up there as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Also, massive shout out to the two fellas who dug wi out from 5/60 day one. Joseph will rightly get the plaudits, but they made a game of it out of what looked like being a procession. Quite a few blokes stood up for them
Yeah on paper the batting looks a bit of a flop but those were mid af FC players and young lads well out of their depth who dug in and made something of the tour. We rightly celebrate the greats and the good players, but there should always be a strong respect for those players who find themselves in deeper water than they can handle but take on the challenge to swim.

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, massive shout out to the two fellas who dug wi out from 5/60 day one. Joseph will rightly get the plaudits, but they made a game of it out of what looked like being a procession. Quite a few blokes stood up for them
Really only the top three who didn't make real contributions for them. Athanaze's knock even a useful little contribution when WI could have been in all sorts had Smith held on there

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well guess I'll be eating my phone because in my wildest dreams I didn't expect wi to win a test in Australia.

The batting is still woeful and that needs to be addressed but what a game. Curious to know what a WI XI looks like assuming all players are fit?
Or interested for that matter. Holder is basically a Judas to this team

Slifer

International Captain
Or interested for that matter. Holder is basically a Judas to this team
Tbf he did skip ipl a few times to play for the WI. But judas or not, I'm not sure he even makes the team now. Bowling should be: Joseph, Seales, Roach, Joseph A/ Motie

Gnske

Yeah on paper the batting looks a bit of a flop but those were mid af FC players and young lads well out of their depth who dug in and made something of the tour. We rightly celebrate the greats and the good players, but there should always be a strong respect for those players who find themselves in deeper water than they can handle but take on the challenge to swim.
TBF as well, batting in the West Indies FC competition sounds pretty unenviable.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really only the top three who didn't make real contributions for them. Athanaze's knock even a useful little contribution when WI could have been in all sorts had Smith held on there
Yeah for sure. Australia fielding was poor first innings. I actually got the impression both sides found it hard picking the ball up at times. The seats at the the Gabba ar that weird arse colour. Lot of fielders on both sides looked hurried at times

I think it’s a decent wake up call for Aus re the batting, and also the ongoing reluctance to rotate the quicks at times. It’s a long summer.

But mostly the batting. They were in the **** both digs.

Also think it’s stupid to pick anyone with covid ffs, especially up in that **** hole with how humid it is. It’s an energy sapping illness even in a first world civilisation.l let alone Qld

Starfighter

One great thing about Joseph's bowling performance was seen someone repeatedly hitting the stumps. I'm sick of seeing innings and matches where practically every wicket is caught in the cordon.

I was hoping Richardson might have been able to do something like that for Australia but sadly it looks like that's not going to happen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah for sure. Australia fielding was poor first innings. I actually got the impression both sides found it hard picking the ball up at times. The seats at the the Gabba ar that weird arse colour. Lot of fielders on both sides looked hurried at times

I think it’s a decent wake up call for Aus re the batting, and also the ongoing reluctance to rotate the quicks at times. It’s a long summer.

But mostly the batting. They were in the **** both digs.

Also think it’s stupid to pick anyone with covid ffs, especially up in that **** hole with how humid it is. It’s an energy sapping illness even in a first world civilisation.l let alone Qld
That's almost certainly due to the pink ball re: fielders struggling to pick it up

One great thing about Joseph's bowling performance was seen someone repeatedly hitting the stumps. I'm sick of seeing innings and matches where practically every wicket is caught in the cordon.

I was hoping Richardson might have been able to do something like that for Australia but sadly it looks like that's not going to happen.
Yeah 100%. When you've got a bit of movement, that much pace and somewhat inconsistent bounce, keep it full, keep it straight, force a shot every ball.