• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yes and no.

I think it was short sighted not to give Ajaz a more consistent run. It bit us in the arse at the Mount, and would make him a better spinner overall. I think there was better than a horse for the course in there. Same with Somerville.
I can buy this argument pre-Jamieson. When we had CdG/Santner. CdG at 7 with a 4 man tail is in the realms of possibility. I wouldn't have agreed with it though.

But, by 'being bitten at The Mount', I assume you mean v Bangladesh. Who were you dropping to give Ajaz a more consistent run? Ravindra and batting Jamieson at 7? Or dropping one of the 4 seamers?

Flem274*

123/5
I can buy this argument pre-Jamieson. When we had CdG/Santner. CdG at 7 with a 4 man tail is in the realms of possibility. I wouldn't have agreed with it though.

But, by 'being bitten at The Mount', I assume you mean v Bangladesh. Who were you dropping to give Ajaz a more consistent run? Ravindra and batting Jamieson at 7? Or dropping one of the 4 seamers?
My memory of the exacts is fuzzy now, but in general I've been critical of our reluctance to drop one of the quartet even on flat and/or slow home decks where a spinner would be very helpful. Stead in general has not shown the courage to make a tough call since the SCG.

Around that time I think it was Boult who was bowling a bit below his best so I think I'd have benched him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Somerville was particularly unlucky in this regard IMO, coming out of a locked-down Auckland where he could hardly have done much preparation.
Yeah he was consistently putting up better numbers than Ajaz in the Plunket Shield but just wasn't given another chance after that India series.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah if we're being honest if we were playing a spinner in that we're playing Santner, not Ajaz

The Hutt Rec

Good interview with Scott Weenink here: https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air...g-great-cricket-and-have-world-class-players/

Says they’re aiming for 5 or 6 tests per season in future. But also says a t20 gets $2million from a broadcaster, an ODI $1.5million and a test $1million for the full five days. Can see why it’s a challenge when you hear those figures.

But he does say they’d lose more players to overseas leagues if it wasn’t for tests, so it sounds like he’s looking at it the right way.

Flem274*

123/5
Good interview with Scott Weenink here: https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air...g-great-cricket-and-have-world-class-players/

Says they’re aiming for 5 or 6 tests per season in future. But also says a t20 gets $2million from a broadcaster, an ODI $1.5million and a test $1million for the full five days. Can see why it’s a challenge when you hear those figures.

But he does say they’d lose more players to overseas leagues if it wasn’t for tests, so it sounds like he’s looking at it the right way.
Early days but I love his attitude to date. Knock on wood it continues and he does well.

Immenso

thanks for posting.

Other interesting part, at the end of the interview - the host monologues on the viewing numbers. Referencing Dylan Cleaver's e-mailer.

On Sky - a good rating was considered 250k
On Spark - that number dropped to 180k
On TVNZ they are getting up to 800k

He didn't mention what formats. Assume a Blackcaps ODI or T20.

(and the Black Clash got 1m)

The Hutt Rec

thanks for posting.

Other interesting part, at the end of the interview - the host monologues on the viewing numbers. Referencing Dylan Cleaver's e-mailer.

That's huge, I think I missed that bit! Would be great if they could keep it on free to air after the TVNZ deal ends.

I'm actually surprised the Spark numbers were that high, btw.

jcas0167

International Debutant
That's huge, I think I missed that bit! Would be great if they could keep it on free to air after the TVNZ deal ends.

I'm actually surprised the Spark numbers were that high, btw.
Yeah, I'm surprised the difference between Sky and Spark wasn't greater. The numbers on TVNZ look excellent. And the Black Clash, although a light hearted affair, is a great way to promote the game to a wider audience.

thundaboult

International Debutant
NZC ... back your youth, back the players with x factor, the ingredients of actual excitement

pace wins series and more importantly sends a message of intimidation, hope and inspiration

tuk tuk batting, medium swingers and bit part spinners don't win world cups and aussie tests

Flem274*

123/5
Geez, bittersweet watching a genuine quick **** all over the Aussies when we don't have one in our squad
he's a ****ing midget too next to Brendan Julian, and Roach is the same and slow.

Nathan Smith and Zak Foulkes gg rip.*

*score some runs to match the wickets bois.

ataraxia

International Coach

thanks for posting.

Wasn't the future of NZ cricket meant to be all doom and gloom?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
he's a ****ing midget too next to Brendan Julian, and Roach is the same and slow.

Nathan Smith and Zak Foulkes gg rip.*

*score some runs to match the wickets bois.
Roach was quick, and has 270 Test wickets at 27s.

There's a slight renaissance of lion-hearted, rip **** and bust quicks who might go for a few on their day but win Test matches. Mark Wood, Aamer Jamal, Nortje and now Joseph. So much fun to watch.

The Hutt Rec

There's a slight renaissance of lion-hearted, rip **** and bust quicks who might go for a few on their day but win Test matches. Mark Wood, Aamer Jamal, Nortje and now Joseph. So much fun to watch.
So let’s give Ben Sears a go!

Flem274*

123/5

Roach was quick 10 years ago. I'm not knocking him, I respect him. There aren't many guys with his current size and pace who have taken 270 @ 27.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So let’s give Ben Sears a go!
Yeah, that's the argument...I dunno, I just don't see Sears hurrying people. Same with O'Rourke. I'm talking about these shorter than average, kiss the wicket and hurry guys up sort of bowlers like Wood, Joseph, Nortje, apparently even Jamal is 5'9. Ferguson used to do it. Hell, even Andre Adams used to do it - he wasn't lightning but he hurried guys up with that bustling, on you before you knew it sort of style. Those sort of guys are in vogue right now.