• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lmao at losing all your referrals in the first 15 overs. That’s something that would make Shane Watson blush in embarrassment.

Molehill

International Captain
This stuff is usually pretty subjective, but picking Hartley over Dawson, who does the same job but is better in every way, older, and coming off a better county season seems pretty daft. I seriously doubt contributes less with the bat, and bowls as many boundary balls as Hartley did.
He bats 6 or 7 for his County, averages over 33 and has 14 tons.

He'd be better in literally every way.

He should be playing in this series.

Daemon

This stuff is usually pretty subjective, but picking Hartley over Dawson, who does the same job but is better in every way, older, and coming off a better county season seems pretty daft. I seriously doubt contributes less with the bat, and bowls as many boundary balls as Hartley did.
Dawson didn’t make himself available i think

Spark

Global Moderator
Hartley got a few to absolutely rip in between the nonsense dismissal's and the indian spinners got a fair bit out of it, didn't they? Not saying there wasn't some daft shot's in there (crawley a good example), but I think there's more in the deck then your giving it credit for.
There's a bit in this deck but IMO this would be the second easiest pitch to bat on if it was slotted in the BGT series last year (I think it's a bit more conducive to fast run-scoring than Nagpur was). A lot of balls are doing not a lot and it's very easy to get carted if you miss your lengths, as both innings have shown. Every now and then one will kick viciously, but you kind of are expected to be able to deal with that at this level.

Molehill

International Captain
Hartley got a few to absolutely rip in between the nonsense dismissal's and the indian spinners got a fair bit out of it, didn't they? Not saying there wasn't some daft shot's in there (crawley a good example), but I think there's more in the deck then your giving it credit for.
I think this is the perfect deck for India and one they should repeat ad nauseum. There's enough there to allow their spinners to prove they are significantly better than the opposition without it turning into a minefield/lottery as was the case in the Test they lost to Aus.

Owzat

U19 Captain
I think this is the perfect deck for India and one they should repeat ad nauseum. There's enough there to allow their spinners to prove they are significantly better than the opposition without it turning into a minefield/lottery as was the case in the Test they lost to Aus.
they're used to the amount of turn their spinners get, reading the ball as batsmen, have so many advantages so made me laugh all the experts on BBC have your say going on about the impact Foakes as keeper would make, and worried Wood as only bowler was a risk, I just pointed out that scoring 300+ would be the main objective and obstacle alike and they owe 246 to Stokes (who the beeb experts were going on about bowling issues, think he is established as key batsmen so bowling is more or less tertiary now behind batting and fielding)

long way back, normally I'd suggest wickets in the morning session would be crucial but I think that's more in India's batsmen's hands than England's

Which is the odd one out?
H&S
C&Y
P&A
T&E

(for anyone didn't see 1% last night, kept tabs on it alongside the semi)

Owzat

U19 Captain
getting massive turn isn't necessarily the advantage some think, you want enough turn to beat bat or batsmen, not spin past the stumps and out of harm's way

this is why Indian batsmen on home soil, and their spinners likewise, have such an advantage, irrespective of preparation arguments. Always knew the issue would be England batting, like it is down under but for different reasons, need runs on the board and India are better at playing spin, bowling it, and simply used to playing on home pitches and not wrapped up in approaches like "bazballs"

"bazballs" just comes across as "if you can't play properly try and thrash a few runs and hope the bowlers lose their line and fielding goes back so you get away with it....."

Owzat

U19 Captain
We need to unleash Joe Root tomorrow. He will take wickets.
well I wasn't expecting a lot from Tartley, too inexperienced and most likely not all that anyway. horses for courses is a nice theory but the Indian batsmen are also their horse for course and played the best, and worst, spinners around

should we be calling the Indian approach "wallballs" after Rahul "The Wall" Dravid, their coach?

Molehill

International Captain
getting massive turn isn't necessarily the advantage some think, you want enough turn to beat bat or batsmen, not spin past the stumps and out of harm's way

this is why Indian batsmen on home soil, and their spinners likewise, have such an advantage, irrespective of preparation arguments. Always knew the issue would be England batting, like it is down under but for different reasons, need runs on the board and India are better at playing spin, bowling it, and simply used to playing on home pitches and not wrapped up in approaches like "bazballs"

"bazballs" just comes across as "if you can't play properly try and thrash a few runs and hope the bowlers lose their line and fielding goes back so you get away with it....."
To be fair, this 246 would comfortably be the second highest total on the last tour. Only the flatbed in the opener saw us surpass 205. So maybe Bazball does offer a slight improvement.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

At it's best it's way more than that. It's planned agression with the bat (Root adding a reverse ramp so he forces a team to have a fielder somewhere at 3rd, deep or not, no matter if the pacer is bowling full or short. If it's short, he glides it off the open face like he always has, if it's fuller, he reverse ramp's it. In effect, in england and NZ atleast, it means you can't just bowl in the channel without serious risk of him scoring) and maximizing the bowling to force 20 wickets (getting stokes to bowl short with the new rock in the 1st test, 4th innings vs PAK when england toured their is a classic example of this).

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
TNT sports have come under criticism for not having a studio panel during the breaks . They have advised they will now have this in place for the second test.

I wonder who that will be. Broad and Cook provably.

Molehill

International Captain
TNT sports have come under criticism for not having a studio panel during the breaks . They have advised they will now have this in place for the second test.

Broad is in SA doing the T20. Cook and Finn maybe.

OverratedSanity

There's a bit in this deck but IMO this would be the second easiest pitch to bat on if it was slotted in the BGT series last year (I think it's a bit more conducive to fast run-scoring than Nagpur was). A lot of balls are doing not a lot and it's very easy to get carted if you miss your lengths, as both innings have shown. Every now and then one will kick viciously, but you kind of are expected to be able to deal with that at this level.
Ashwin thinks England's total is pretty competitive. There was a lot of sharp turn and India need to bat last too.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

I mean they only won the rights last week. So makes sense they didn't have the setup in place.

You'd imagine so when neither signed up with Sky permanently. BBC do seem to let their ex pro's work for anyone.

Uppercut

Is Jaiswal usually so dominant against spin? I used to never like packing the lineup with mediocre spinners on a tour to India, because the Dravid-Tendulkar-Laxman generation was so good against them that it more than cancelled out the favourable pitches. That changed a bit when those guys retired, but maybe it's back.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Is Jaiswal usually so dominant against spin? I used to never like packing the lineup with mediocre spinners on a tour to India, because the Dravid-Tendulkar-Laxman generation was so good against them that it more than cancelled out the favourable pitches. That changed a bit when those guys retired, but maybe it's back.
yes he is

Xix2565

International Regular
Jaiswal is pretty dominant vs spin, even in his limited Test career he currently averages 165 vs spin (as per Kimber's graphs).

I mean it's never changed has it? Considering the Indian Test series record outside of the transition.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I mean they only won the rights last week. So makes sense they didn't have the setup in place.

You'd imagine so when neither signed up with Sky permanently. BBC do seem to let their ex pro's work for anyone.
TNT did win the rights late in the day but obviously they knew they would be bidding with every chance of securing the rights.

So it's a bit surprising that they didn't have anyone like Cook or Finn on standby.