• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
His bowling was the part that wasn't good.
That's the fear! McCullum seems to be a fan so I'd expect he'll get game time but if we get a pitch that looks ok for seamers*, we might be better off picking 3 quicks and Root can be 2nd spinner.

*yeah I know that's an "if", but India has good quicks...

Shri

Mr. Glass
While talking about his Test career during the interview, the 30-year-old talked about the iconic 10-ball over that he bowled to England's Anderson during India's Test series in England. Apart from bowling four no balls in the over, Bumrah repeatedly bowled bouncers at Anderson, hitting him on the helmet, ribcage, and left hand, which led to a heated exchange of words between the two.

"I was tired, I thought the last wicket was there, I tried to push to bowl fast. I went up to him (mid-over), asked 'Are you OK?' and didn't get a good response. So that brought back some young memories; trying to be the nice guy and it not being taken well. And it triggered the whole team," Bumrah said.

Bumrah explained that during that specific over, he had gone to ask Anderson if he was "okay", which was followed by a not-so good response by the now 41-year-old. Bumrah stressed that Anderson's reaction was the sole reason that triggered him and the rest of the team, leading to intense and heated exchanges for the remainder of the match. It was India that bagged that Test by 151 runs.

"It was red mist but it was channelled. Fighting and playing is second nature to us; controlling that is self-taught," Bumrah added.

On the other hand, the Indian yorker machine also made sure to praise the English fast bowler for the longevity and tenacity that he has shown for the England Test side. Moreover, Bumrah went on to say that it was Anderson who had inspired him during his younger days as a cricketer.

"A lot of credit to (Anderson), I can genuinely say I've been watching him since I was a child. It's credit to him (he is still playing at 41), a testament to his hunger and passion. It's one thing having helpful conditions but to keep doing all that preparation. Skill, technique can be learned, but the will to keep going, that's a big big tick for me," Bumrah said.

:lol:

kevinw

International 12th Man
Is the difference between Anderson's home and away record that odd?

Home: 430 wickets in 105 Tests @ 24.50
Away: 234 wickets in 72 Tests @ 30.54

That's a 6 run differential - is that that big?

Molehill

International Captain

If you look at the last 10 years of his career, there's hardly any difference. Away from England he's taken 126 wickets at 23, at home it's 221 wickets at 21.8.

Cummins (for reference) has 104 at 26.8 away from home in the same period.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain

The earlier part of Anderson's career was rather poor away from home. If you look at Anderson's career away from home from early 2010, his away average is 26. Edit: Molehill got there first!

Silver Silva

International Debutant

Using your statistics brother then yes,
When you add it all up it makes a huge difference.

If 234 test wickets cost you 30.54 per wicket it means to get 234 wickets you gave away 7146 runs approximately .

Now if Anderson got those 234 test wickets at his home average of 24.50, it would have cost him 5733 runs ..

7146-5733 = 1413 run difference , that's massive..

Also look at wickets per match , his home record he gets 4.09 wickets per match ,
Away from home he gets 3.25 wickets per match ..

That doesn't sound a lot but if you take 3.25 per match and multiple it by the home Tests Anderson played you would have 341 wickets ..

That's 89 wickets less than what Anderson has on his home record which is a huge amount..

Molehill

International Captain
Also look at wickets per match , his home record he gets 4.09 wickets per match ,
Away from home he gets 3.25 wickets per match ..

That doesn't sound a lot but if you take 3.25 per match and multiple it by the home Tests Anderson played you would have 341 wickets ..
But he's obviously not bowling as much in places that favour spin compared to England.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
While talking about his Test career during the interview, the 30-year-old talked about the iconic 10-ball over that he bowled to England's Anderson during India's Test series in England. Apart from bowling four no balls in the over, Bumrah repeatedly bowled bouncers at Anderson, hitting him on the helmet, ribcage, and left hand, which led to a heated exchange of words between the two.

"I was tired, I thought the last wicket was there, I tried to push to bowl fast. I went up to him (mid-over), asked 'Are you OK?' and didn't get a good response. So that brought back some young memories; trying to be the nice guy and it not being taken well. And it triggered the whole team," Bumrah said.

Bumrah explained that during that specific over, he had gone to ask Anderson if he was "okay", which was followed by a not-so good response by the now 41-year-old. Bumrah stressed that Anderson's reaction was the sole reason that triggered him and the rest of the team, leading to intense and heated exchanges for the remainder of the match. It was India that bagged that Test by 151 runs.

"It was red mist but it was channelled. Fighting and playing is second nature to us; controlling that is self-taught," Bumrah added.

On the other hand, the Indian yorker machine also made sure to praise the English fast bowler for the longevity and tenacity that he has shown for the England Test side. Moreover, Bumrah went on to say that it was Anderson who had inspired him during his younger days as a cricketer.

"A lot of credit to (Anderson), I can genuinely say I've been watching him since I was a child. It's credit to him (he is still playing at 41), a testament to his hunger and passion. It's one thing having helpful conditions but to keep doing all that preparation. Skill, technique can be learned, but the will to keep going, that's a big big tick for me," Bumrah said.

:lol:
Can see why Bumrah is one of @Burgey s favorites. :p

Silver Silva

International Debutant
5-413 in the 2006/07 Ashes would cause half of that!!
Also 5/427 in the Ashes at home last year dented his home figures a bit ..

117 test wickets in 39 matches @ 35.97 in Ashes cricket is very disappointing, and also marks him down a bit legacy wise.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Also 5/427 in the Ashes at home last year dented his home figures a bit ..

117 test wickets in 39 matches @ 35.97 in Ashes cricket is very disappointing, and also marks him down a bit legacy wise.
Warne has 43 wickets in 14 tests against India at 47. That's home and away combined. We're not discussing his legacy.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
If they pick Lawrence they can play two seamers as he can bowl spin. Add Root to Rehan and Leach and we have 4 spinners 2 seamers.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent work from the mods carrying through on my request for thread name change.

To really celebrate in the spirit of #crymoretour

The lack of awareness of this from the Daily Heil is very much fitting

Hmm. I'm no fan of the Mail, obviously. But I think Erika seems a tad confused about how long England's players will be staying in India if she feels this is an 'immigration' issue.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Warne has 43 wickets in 14 tests against India at 47. That's home and away combined. We're not discussing his legacy.
Guarantee if Warne had that record in the Ashes he would be nowhere near as revered..
Ashes cricket performances are the most important performances for an English or Australian cricketer ..