• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't understand how Head keeps doing this - playing innings like this where hardly anyone else can get a score of note - but it is very funny and very welcome
A big question mark on Head's career thus far is his inability to score runs in easy conditions.

Gob

International Coach
Can't fault players for not opting to play test cricket. Its easy for us to sit on our fat backsides and say what a ****ing disgrace for choosing t20 money over representing your country but the thing is a professional cricketer would, at best, have 15 years at the top level. He would have to sacrifice quite a bit like education, career paths etc to reach the top level so you have to earn enough to survive the rest of your life when you can

Boards are more culpable but they are following the money so it all comes down to people. Why the **** would you want to watch so much t20 cricket I cant stand a single league

Molehill

International Captain
Boards are more culpable but they are following the money so it all comes down to people. Why the **** would you want to watch so much t20 cricket I cant stand a single league
Certainly agree here. As a S African fan, would you rather your best players played in a Test Series against NZ or for the Joburg Super *****?

I think it's a different comparison with the W Indies. You can argue that their most talented players are not in this squad, but they haven't been for years. The S African Test players not going to NZ literally played 2 weeks ago. Pooran, for example, has only played 5 FC games in his life.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Can't fault players for not opting to play test cricket. Its easy for us to sit on our fat backsides and say what a ****ing disgrace for choosing t20 money over representing your country but the thing is a professional cricketer would, at best, have 15 years at the top level. He would have to sacrifice quite a bit like education, career paths etc to reach the top level so you have to earn enough to survive the rest of your life when you can

No, I can't blame them at all when many of them will barely earn enough from test cricket alone to last but if they bag a couple of good T20 gigs, they are set for the long term. No, I can't watch much of the franchise stuff apart from the occasional game here and there.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
First look at some of these new Windies batters and Hodge looks below par. McKenzie has a bit about him, there could be something there.
Athanaze is genuinely talented and has scored domestic runs to prove it. He didn't show it here unfortunately.

McKenzie had something about him for sure, but he hasn't really learned how to consistently build big innings as he hasn't played enough yet. Weirdly, his only FC ton is a double.

Hodge isn't good enough and the only reason he is here is because we ran out of people to ask.

Greaves plays pleasant drives but will get out for a pretty little 20 or so. He's not international standard and should not be batting at 6.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Greaves good enough to bat seven or eight and play as a bowling allrounder? I know he’s not quick but he really looks like he has a bit to offer with the ball

morgieb

Is Greaves good enough to bat seven or eight and play as a bowling allrounder? I know he’s not quick but he really looks like he has a bit to offer with the ball
Problem is that I don't think he adds anything that Mayers didn't. Or even Holder.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Problem is that I don't think he adds anything that Mayers didn't. Or even Holder.
Yeah if those two aren't going to play then is his batting good enough to be at 7? No more Roston Chase as the all-rounder. Just always pick Motie and look for the next best seam bowling all-rounder if you want to go that route.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Athanaze is genuinely talented and has scored domestic runs to prove it. He didn't show it here unfortunately.

McKenzie had something about him for sure, but he hasn't really learned how to consistently build big innings as he hasn't played enough yet. Weirdly, his only FC ton is a double.

Hodge isn't good enough and the only reason he is here is because we ran out of people to ask.

Greaves plays pleasant drives but will get out for a pretty little 20 or so. He's not international standard and should not be batting at 6.
Yep I watched Athanaze in his debut series and he looked pretty good against spin. Seems like he is worth persisting with.

Burgey

Played some eye catching shots this test tbh. Looks a sweet timer

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
There are a few English cricketers with Caribbean ancestry, why doesn't the board try to explore that if the cupboard is bare , I mean straight off the bat Bell-Drummond would be a great addition to the West Indies

Beamer

I think his bowling will be found out in other conditions. Tbf though, Holder and Mayers are probably the same.

Beamer

There are a few English cricketers with Caribbean ancestry, why doesn't the board try to explore that if the cupboard is bare , I mean straight off the bat Bell-Drummond would be a great addition to the West Indies
I believe they might have started those conversations with Bell-Drummond, don;t think they've got far though. He would definitely slot into the middle order ahead of Hodge or Greaves, no doubt about it.

Tbf to the selectors they did actually try to include Brandon King in this squad, but he turned it down for T20s in Bangladesh (aka $$$). King is the most obvious person who cricket followers in the Caribbean know would be an upgrade on what we currently have. Hodge frankly has no business being at this level, it's a pointless exercise.