• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
How brother? All I said is Gillespie would destroy batting line ups like this and that its harder to bowl to Lara than Athanaze ..
I don't think that's unreasonable, I didn't say Hazlewood is not good, we have to look at some of these batting line ups and take records with the pinch of salt sometimes..

How many teams have better batting units in Hazlewood's Era compared to Gillespie's Era, bear in mind that 2000's was a great time to be a batsman .
Hazlewood averages 39 in South Africa at a time when fast bowling has been pretty well rewarded in these parts so for that reason alone he ain't in the same league as Hoff (Though I could be biased)

Also you are kinda right about the batting standards of teams these days, it's not great ..I think the last 3 touring sides to Australia have been West Indies, Pakistan and South Africa, all 3 very poor batting sides , I think Masood was captain of Pakistan with a Test average below 30 , far cry from the days of Anwar , Younus Khan , Yousuf , Inzamam ..

And the team we sent to Australia was a joke , best bat was Elgar who is horrible away from home. Yeah Hazlewood has troubled some good batsman in the past but he's also faced some shocking sides to get that average around 25 .

Spark

Global Moderator
Hazlewood averages 39 in South Africa at a time when fast bowling has been pretty well rewarded in these parts so for that reason alone he ain't in the same league as Hoff (Though I could be biased)
Those pitches were absolutely not the same as the sorts of pitches where Rabada, Olivier, Ngidi etc have been averaging either side of 20. They were much drier and more abrasive; compare them to what India have faced out there in the last few tours.

danzydab

U19 Debutant
Those pitches were absolutely not the same as the sorts of pitches where Rabada, Olivier, Ngidi etc have been averaging either side of 20. They were much drier and more abrasive; compare them to what India have faced out there in the last few tours.
Yes the pitches in that series were flatter, sort of like the ones Eng get when they tour SA.

However, in the same series which josh averaged 39; cummins averaged 21, rabada and morkel averaged 19, philander averaged 17,
Both Starc and Hazlewood and were totally outbowled in that series.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Hmm so the SA C side is a topic of discussion amongst every commentary team not from SA these days.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes the pitches in that series were flatter, sort of like the ones Eng get when they tour SA.

However, in the same series which josh averaged 39; cummins averaged 21, rabada and morkel averaged 19, philander averaged 17,
Hazlewood definitely isn't suited to surfaces like that. There's a reason he's barely played during the subcontinent tours.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hazelwood has those patches where he bowls well and just doesn't seem to take wickets. Gets a lot of 1-50 type spells where a bit more luck and he'd get 3 or 4/50. Been a lot of series he's averaged higher than Starc despite bowling a lot better IMO

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hazelwood has those patches where he bowls well and just doesn't seem to take wickets. Gets a lot of 1-50 type spells where a bit more luck and he'd get 3 or 4/50. Been a lot of series he's averaged higher than Starc despite bowling a lot better IMO
Yes and don’t forget his broken toenails