• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean yeah but my point is that Marnus hasn't even beat that low bar yet.
How has he not? He averages 10 more and has been way less volatile. I'm taking a guy at 3 giving me consistent 35-45 average away series with the odd 2019 ashes thrown in over Warner averaging 30 with an ATG effort once every 5 years, every day of the week.

Gob

International Coach
How has he not? He averages 10 more and has been way less volatile. I'm taking a guy at 3 giving me consistent 35-45 average away series with the odd 2019 ashes thrown in over Warner averaging 30 with an ATG effort once every 5 years, every day of the week.
You are missing the bigger picture though

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not Warner bad and yet even Warner has SA 2014 to his name
He's not had even a mid length career yet tbf. Only been 4-5 years and that includes Covid. He's played as many games as Travis Head lol.

Overall he's a pretty decent batsmen whose average looks great because of some bashing at home.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speed does not rely on size or height..
Look at what Shamar Joseph is bowling at and he's nowhere near Hazlewood's stature.
No, but it does seem that being taller and of average build, as well as having got through the obligatory period in your late teens/early 20s with stress fractures, allows you to generate pace whilst placing less stress on your body. Injury records also obviously come down to bowling actions, but if you're less than 6 foot trying to generate 140kph+, there often seems to be more risk of injury involved (purely anecdotal obviously). Mark Wood played at my mate's club when he was younger, and he looked to be about 65kgs wringing wet at the time. He was bowling 140kph plus, and when you look back on his injury history, it makes sense. Mind you, I am sure there are plenty of examples of taller bowlers with similar injury histories (Bruce Reid being one, but he was built like a preying mantis).

The opposite side of the argument is all the tall English medium pacers who have embarrassed themselves at international level by bowling 120kph balloons, wasting their height and making themselves a laughing stock in the process.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I thought our top 5 tried to stick it out against a great attack on a very tricky wicket. It wasn't awful.

Greaves, Da Silva, Joseph and Motie were pathetic though and didn't make Australia work for their wickets at all.

Still, dismissing Smith and Labuschagne already makes this a better bowling tour than the last one frankly. Well done Shamar.

ataraxia

International Coach
He's not had even a mid length career yet tbf. Only been 4-5 years and that includes Covid. He's played as many games as Travis Head lol.

Overall he's a pretty decent batsmen whose average looks great because of some bashing at home.
Yeah Labuschagne's at least SS Das–level IMO. Like a poor man's Kambli.

Spark

Global Moderator

Right but the point is that we shouldn't be pointing at his average as a defence of his away record when said record contains barely any match or series-defining performances of note which is his actual job when batting #3.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Right but the point is that we shouldn't be pointing at his average as a defence of his away record when said record contains barely any match or series-defining performances of note which is his actual job when batting #3.
2019 ashes was as series defining as any of Warner's efforts away. Stokes innings and our ****up make people forget that marnus is the only reason we drew that second test and where any chance of winning that 3rd test.

Spark

Global Moderator
2019 ashes was as series defining as any of Warner's efforts away. Stokes innings and our ****up make people forget that marnus is the only reason we drew that second test and where any chance of winning that 3rd test.
Sorry I just don't think a bunch of 50s is that noteworthy, especially when in the second innings there was a distinct opportunity to completely shut the door on England by setting 500+ and it wasn't taken. Like it's... the bare minimum to make some 50s. It doesn't come even close to being match- or series-defining.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry I just don't think a bunch of 50s is that noteworthy, especially when in the second innings there was a distinct opportunity to completely shut the door on England by setting 500+ and it wasn't taken. Like it's... the bare minimum to make some 50s. It doesn't come even close to being match- or series-defining.
That's just silly. That headingley game was very low scoring. There were only three fifty plus scores in the first 3 innings of that game and marnus made two of them. His performance wins them the ashes if the bowlers hadn't lost the plot.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's just silly. That headingley game was very low scoring. There were only three fifty plus scores in the first 3 innings of that game and marnus made two of them. His performance wins them the ashes if the bowlers hadn't lost the plot.
It was low-scoring in the first two days but Australia absolutely should have made more in the second dig. I remember being distinctly annoyed by it at the time, 370 was a big chase that Australia obviously should have defended but given how rapidly that pitch was flattening out, it was far from insurmountable. IIRC the WinViz - not the be-all and end-all but a good yardstick - gave England something like a 25% chance at the start of their chase.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
When the series is low scoring and no other batsmen bar stokes, Smith and wade in two innings are making runs it does matter.

Just as an example. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-vs-australia-3rd-test-1152848/full-scorecard vs

Arguably the best games of there respective series. Warner made 135 and 145, marnus made 76 and 80.

By your logic, Warner's contribution is way better, but some quick maths tells you that Warner and marnus both made ~37% of their teams runs. Warner's 2014 SA series was in a far higher scoring series, and era of test batting.

The difference between Aus winning the Warner test and losing the marnus test isn't those guys, it's the other 10 players on the field.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
His 50 in the second test was also arguably the difference between aus losing and drawing the second test.